Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

9 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I presume that you want to put Davie McParland in somewhere near the top?

Sandy Clark is both worst and third worst simultaneously.

I am assuming that he didn’t see any of McParlands teams as that is more than 40 years ago

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Which match was this? If it was the Hamilton match at Firhill ( highlights on TV ) Clark was a sub.

Too long ago. Hamilton rings a bell though. Lambie returns?

I just have a memory of Clark leading the team out of the tunnel like the big I am.

Not denying he was a fine centre forward but his tenure at Thistle was calamitous 

12 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I presume that you want to put Davie McParland in somewhere near the top?

Sandy Clark is both worst and third worst simultaneously.

Never saw a McParland team so omitted him for this reason. 

Clark was that bad he deserves two mentions!! The second one is Collins

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Too long ago. Hamilton rings a bell though. Lambie returns?

I just have a memory of Clark leading the team out of the tunnel like the big I am.

Not denying he was a fine centre forward but his tenure at Thistle was calamitous 

As the gods would have it Clark's first game in charge was at home to a returning Lambie with his Accies side. We won 3-1 with Clark on as a sub. Then when Lambie returned his first game was at home to Accies which we won 4-0. Football eh?

Edited by Garscube Road End

4 hours ago, Mad Mull Jag said:

Never saw a McParland team so omitted him for this reason. 

Clark was that bad he deserves two mentions!! The second one is Collins

No problem. Just realised that I never saw a McParland team either, but was going on record and reputation!

I have effectively had 2 separate phases of watching Thistle, the first totally Auld 1975-1977, and the second beginning with MacLeod from 1996 to the present day.

I seem to have been fortunate enough to miss out on some (but not all) of the dross managers you have been forced to watch (I did not see Clark once, let alone twice)!

17 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

That sums it up nicely.

With more time, McCall might have made it to the next level. Maybe next time?

McCall was actually getting worse as time went on, he started in 2007-08 and peaked in 2008-09 when we finished 2nd, we then sold Harkins and Twaddle, Mark Roberts declined, Liam Buchanan stayed injured and Doolan and Erskine had yet to find their feet.

The 2010-11 season was a really grim start, pumped 4-0 at Kirkcaldy on day 1 , back to back losses vs Cowdenbeath and Stirling in the league, pumped 4-2 in Stirling to go bottom of the league in October. We pulled away but were floating about in mid table when he left in April.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Indeed but still not a  DJ style calamity. I'm sure I read a story about his club car being carted away from outside his house just after he got the bullet - still raises a smile.

:Dheard that story about the car before. Couldn't make it up

1 hour ago, Ancipital said:

McCall was actually getting worse as time went on, he started in 2007-08 and peaked in 2008-09 when we finished 2nd, we then sold Harkins and Twaddle, Mark Roberts declined, Liam Buchanan stayed injured and Doolan and Erskine had yet to find their feet.

The 2010-11 season was a really grim start, pumped 4-0 at Kirkcaldy on day 1 , back to back losses vs Cowdenbeath and Stirling in the league, pumped 4-2 in Stirling to go bottom of the league in October. We pulled away but were floating about in mid table when he left in April.

But most seem to forget that. I remember he was tipped for another job (Dundee?) and I was hoping he’d go as he seemed to have lost his way

9 hours ago, jaggy said:

But most seem to forget that. I remember he was tipped for another job (Dundee?) and I was hoping he’d go as he seemed to have lost his way

Yup, Callum Melville wanted him at Dens but I'm not sure why it fell down. I know their second administration wasn't far away at the time.

Ironically the fee for Harkins saved our bacon but helped the Dees closer to the void.

RE: Sandra Clark rocked up at St Johnstone and seemingly did a pretty good job. Third in SPL and a European tie with Monaco from what I recall?

Sometimes faces fit at clubs, others don't but the main proviso is results. This is what puts me off McCall as despite some plus points over his tenureship I was glad to see the back of him at the time.

Done well with Ayr but he's also got a cup ko to an Ayrshire junior outfit this season in his resumé. 

Edited by jagfox

7 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Should help his media career, once we get him out of Firhill.

Actually the last time he did this not only did we get pumped, it preceded a 'mazy run', which included three pumpings, one  win, and a draw (against the Wasps at home, which was as good as a pumping).

He’ll be pumped up for this next game, then?!

On 3/28/2019 at 12:36 PM, Semi Nurainen said:

As 'Caldwell's Massive 7 Days Holiday' draws to and end, it occurs to me that the last time he pulled a stunt like this (who can forget the embarrassingly awful SAS caper?) we got pumped right afterwards.

Ah, but we didn't have Skippy then.

( continues to grasp at straws)...

On 3/28/2019 at 4:05 PM, Semi Nurainen said:

Should help his media career, once we get him out of Firhill.

Actually the last time he did this not only did we get pumped, it preceded a 'mazy run', which included three pumpings, one  win, and a draw (against the Wasps at home, which was as good as a pumping).

The training was great according to the official website. Pumping guaranteed then . 

7 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

The abuse that Gary Caldwell gets on here, is as nearly as bad that Alec Ferguson received in his first season at Man u

That’s the only comparison that could ever be made between them!

6 hours ago, sandy said:

That’s the only comparison that could ever be made between them!

They are both Scottish, both stay in the Manchester area. One has never managed Partick Thistle,the other  should never have managed Thistle.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2019 at 11:43 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Wouldn't want to analyse McCall's tenure too much. It's well publicised he was struggling with his own personal demons back then. What we don't know is the full extent of how it effected his consistency of management. Personally I feel he did rather well under the circumstances.

Worth pointing out that we were nearly going bust because of the dick Campbell debacle - hence why we had to sell Harkins and twaddle so McCall was left working with a lot of constraints 

• admin locked this topic