Falkirk 16 March

eljaggo

1 hour ago, Fearchar said:

Losing a goal to the first Falkirk attempt between the legs of the goalkeeper seems to indicate a weakness somewhere... Perhaps we should prefer our own players to loanees just there for the experience.

Hazard was not to blame for the goal. Thought he did ok today.

I do not understand our reluctance to shoot. Banzo , Slater and Spittal all had opportunities to take a shot from distance but instead chose to play it wide. Not sure if they have been instructed to do this or if it indicates a lack of confidence. Always think it is worth having a pop particularly in wet slippery conditions. It is not as  if  we have a great aerial threat up front waiting for crosses from the flanks ( which usually fail to materialise anyway!)

It was a strange game.

Cardle, McDonald, Banzo and Slater ran the show for 1st 35 minutes but we created little and then stopped playing. I suppose the Bairns rolled up their sleeves.

1st half hour of 2nd half was much more open for both teams but then the game deteriorated into panic about losing the game.

Storey played great but was hoping any chances would not fall to him. He’d have missed.

Spittal seems to have reverted to his crap form again and McGinty’s presence makes me appreciate Anderson all the more.

So, some good some bad. McMillan top man? He was the only one to be consistently good throughout.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I’m disappointed. Disappointed at the result and disappointed at the people claiming drawing against the team immediately above us - in a safe spot - is a good result.

Will you still be saying that during the journeys to Methil and Forfar next season?

No. Because I think we will stay up. You are entitled to be disappointed. I'm realistic given where we have been. All to play for.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I’m disappointed. Disappointed at the result and disappointed at the people claiming drawing against the team immediately above us - in a safe spot - is a good result.

Will you still be saying that during the journeys to Methil and Forfar next season?

It is disappointing, but a point away from home, against an in form team, without two key players isn't that bad. 

2 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Losing a goal to the first Falkirk attempt between the legs of the goalkeeper seems to indicate a weakness somewhere... Perhaps we should prefer our own players to loanees just there for the experience.

You really think he's in the team for experience, and not because our manager thinks he'll get us more points?

19 minutes ago, NotAFan said:

It is disappointing, but a point away from home, against an in form team, without two key players isn't that bad. 

If we weren’t second bottom, I’d maybe agree with you. But if we’re to get out of this, we need to beat the teams around us. Draws are no good and we’re running out of games.

2 hours ago, Fearchar said:

hazard had no chance with the goal. it had been on the cards for the preceding  10/15 minutes

as i have said earlier anderson was missed today

3 hours ago, Fearchar said:

That's a bit harsh on our keeper. I was  more disappointed at the poor clearance out of defence by Banzo that gave the ball back to Falkirk which led to the goal.

1 hour ago, Harrybriscoe said:

That's a bit harsh on our keeper. I was  more disappointed at the poor clearance out of defence by Banzo that gave the ball back to Falkirk which led to the goal.

Hazard had no chance with any of the 3 goals v Hearts but it doesn't stop some saying otherwise. The penalty in the second game was the defenders fault also.

Not sure Banzo will be good enough again, from what I can tell, to play at the level prior to his injury.

I thought Banzo had a poor game yesterday by his standards. Gave the ball away prior to them scoring and seems to have a total reluctance to shoot for goal which he had the opportunity to do a couple of times in the second half. Thought we dominated without really creating a huge amount of chances. McMillan has been an excellent loan signing. Think we will have enough to stay up. 

I thought Scott McDonald was the stand-out for us yesterday. No shortage of skill, drive, cuteness from him and he hardly wasted a ball all game. He was the player that Caldwell consistently used to pass on any tactical changes and to be his on-field general by encouraging and coaching throughout. A super 'captains display' all round from Scott...although he was not named as the such! If we can get improved performances from others (Spittal, Storey, Banzo and Cardle etc.) and introduce Fitzpatrick more often, then I think we will be fine.

10 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Not sure Banzo will be good enough again, from what I can tell, to play at the level prior to his injury.

I think Bannigan has been our best player this season. Rarely if ever my choice as MotM but as often as not next in line. Admittedly he was off the pace on Tuesday night and was so-so yesterday. Also agree he's not back to pre injury form but that could be as much to do with having to play two roles (holding midfield as well as his preferred position, which is more creative). Reckon he'd comfortably fit into many top division sides on this season's form.

11 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Hazard had no chance with any of the 3 goals v Hearts but it doesn't stop some saying otherwise. The penalty in the second game was the defenders fault also.

You’re trying too hard to gloss over his weaknesses, and every player has weaknesses. Keep the shots low and hard and you stand a chance of scoring against Hazard. It doesn’t even have to be well placed in the corners of the goal, just low and hard. Goals conceded against Dundee Utd, Hearts and yesterday were all capable of being saved. That’s not to say he should have saved all of them but they weren’t greatly hit well placed goals.

• Like 1

A game of three thirds with Thistle starting brightly again with Falkirk doing littl of anything for the first 30 minutes. Unfortunately we were unable to make more of apparent superiority at the time as the Bairns awoke from their slumber in the last 15 minutes of the half scoring a decent goal from their POV. They carried their resurgence into the second half with McShane fairly rattling the post. We were certainly off the boil and as mentioned the midfield trio of Bannigan, Spittal and Slater were well off the boil, imo. I think the midweek exertions for both teams took their toll and the last half hour was pretty dire with little in the way of chances. Fitzpatrick and Harkins were fairl anonymous with Storey being the pick of the bunch. 

A draw probably the fair result overall but it feels like points dropped rather than one gained. The oil tanker edges forward to Friday in what is looking like a must win game, then again they all are until we can reach 40 points...

45 minutes ago, jagfox said:

A game of three thirds with Thistle starting brightly again with Falkirk doing littl of anything for the first 30 minutes. Unfortunately we were unable to make more of apparent superiority at the time as the Bairns awoke from their slumber in the last 15 minutes of the half scoring a decent goal from their POV. They carried their resurgence into the second half with McShane fairly rattling the post. We were certainly off the boil and as mentioned the midfield trio of Bannigan, Spittal and Slater were well off the boil, imo. I think the midweek exertions for both teams took their toll and the last half hour was pretty dire with little in the way of chances. Fitzpatrick and Harkins were fairl anonymous with Storey being the pick of the bunch. 

A draw probably the fair result overall but it feels like points dropped rather than one gained. The oil tanker edges forward to Friday in what is looking like a must win game, then again they all are until we can reach 40 points...

To me spittal looked like he was playing in a back five rather than part of the midfield.  When bringing on storey and fitzpatrick I thought Caldwell was going for a win. Then when he brought on Harkins he tould fitzpatrick to move back into spittal position. In his interview Caldwell said he put on negative subs to keep  the draw.  Can't understand this guys tactics