Falkirk 16 March

eljaggo

8 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

This reminds me of those American religious zealots who predict the end of the world from their bunker. The world will end on x date. It then doesn't happen and they say. ..Ah I meant next week.

Bet you went to Livingston last year with a big smile on your face thinking everything is going to be just fine!

5 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Bet you went to Livingston last year with a big smile on your face thinking everything is going to be just fine!

Nope. I was thankfully on holiday. But yes I usually go to a game with a smile on my face. At least to begin. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Have you already fogotten last year when we only got relegated after failing to win any of a dozen must win games??

As it turned out all the "must win" games where we didn't win would've been irrelevant if we had managed one further solitary "must at least get a point here".

I guess Queens and Alloa will be happier with yesterday's result than both Falkirk & us but perhaps not getting beaten will turn out to be the most important aspect. 

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As it turned out all the "must win" games where we didn't win would've been irrelevant if we had managed one further solitary "must at least get a point here".

I guess Queens and Alloa will be happier with yesterday's result than both Falkirk & us but perhaps not getting beaten will turn out to be the most important aspect. 

Don’t know about you , but I’m worried , we’ve got 8 games to go , and I reckon we need to win at least 4 of them , the only 1 out of the remaining fixtures I’m totally confident about is playing Alloa at home , the rest Ross County away , even the 2 Ayr United games who we haven’t beat this season, Dunfermline at home ( play like we did at East End Park we’ll get nothing.)

Inverness is a must win game on Friday

Think it’ll come down to the last game at Palmerston .

• Like 1

I reckon from a league perspective there could only have been 2 must win games if the object was to avoid relegation. Obviously the game vs Livingston at Firhill was a must win(but not the game at Livingston).

The other must win game was the one to avoid automatic relegation, which we must have won(or at least, not lost).

The difference between this season and last is that last season we had a good enough squad to survive, but they just didn’t put enough effort in. This season, at least since the turn of the year, you can’t fault the effort. Whether the squad is good enough - only time will tell.

A draw yesterday was a decent result for us. Falkirk are a good side - just look at their results after the window. 

Scott MacDonald played really well yesterday again. Done better than I thought he would and he is a very fit man for 35! 

Apart from MacDonald, there is not enough goal threat from the rest of the team. Mansell did well to set up the goal but did not do much else. 

I thought the introduction of Storey really helped us. He really pressured the Falkirk center backs and I thought we looked like scoring in the last 20 mins. We could not just open the strong Falkirk defense. 

Banzo is at fault for the goal. He should have followed Mcshane into the box and it was his poor clearance that leads to the Falkirk attack. 

Edited by Alan Murray

33 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Don’t know about you , but I’m worried , we’ve got 8 games to go , and I reckon we need to win at least 4 of them , the only 1 out of the remaining fixtures I’m totally confident about is playing Alloa at home , the rest Ross County away , even the 2 Ayr United games who we haven’t beat this season, Dunfermline at home ( play like we did at East End Park we’ll get nothing.)

Inverness is a must win game on Friday

Think it’ll come down to the last game at Palmerston .

You may be right that it will go the wire. However why not put a positive spin on he home game v dunfermline. We beat them 2 nil last time. Ayr are also on the slide. Huge game v Morton away. Yes I know they pumped us 5 zip but this is a very different team since early January.

16 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

You may be right that it will go the wire. However why not put a positive spin on he home game v dunfermline. We beat them 2 nil last time. Ayr are also on the slide. Huge game v Morton away. Yes I know they pumped us 5 zip but this is a very different team since early January.

Can you really put a positive spin on the Dunfermline game , it was only 3 weeks ago they beat us 3 nil with our new squad , wasn’t being negative or positive, maybe just adding a bit of realism ? 

Nothing wrong with realism I agree. The reality is our form has been pretty good for a fair bit now overall. I think it's reasonable to focus on that, rather than contemplate the worst scenario every time. A post last week had us 7 points behind falkirk. We're not. 

We are a far better team now than we were at Christmas. Most of the new signings have made an improvement. He managed to clear out most of the dross who were dragging down the team big style.(I absolve Sir Chris Of course but perhaps I’m misguided).

Yes, the Pars game was diabolical but we cannot win every game. That game proved that McMillan is no CB.

We appeared doomed at Christmas but now have a positive chance of staying up. Alloa and QOS are on disastrous runs , we looked better than Falkirk and Morton are poor.

It would be great to win the next 3 games which would enable all to relax but they are not ‘must win’.   

I did go to Livingston expecting to win. We had better players but no bottle or organisation. We are presently better than the teams around us and Are now showing signs of picking up points through effort and graft. 

However I can envisage a nervy journey to Dumfries!

If we don't win on Friday it of course wont relegate us. But if we do win, it will push us up to 7th and as I have already said this will put pressure on QOS and Morton, who a few weeks ago probably thought they were safe. All our home games are winnable and we should be looking to win them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Here's a thought. Is our current team better or worse than the team that lost the play off against Livvy? And is this team better or worse than the team that started the season in August?

I think we are better than the current league position we are in. But we have to get the results to get us up to 8th at least. Which if we continue playing the way we have done for the majority of 2019 we will manage to do.

22 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Here's a thought. Is our current team better or worse than the team that lost the play off against Livvy? And is this team better or worse than the team that started the season in August?

Here's something I didn't think I'd be saying 3 or 4 months back....

I think we've got a better manager in place. I was sickened by the tactics in the game at Livingston. Hitting long high balls. Archie was very reluctant to change things during a game either by use of subs or by changing shape etc. While I'm still to make my mind up totally about Caldwell I find him far more open to changing things during a game. I think he would have seen that Livingston weren't being troubled and would have made the changes that all the fans wete shouting for on the night.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think Bannigan has been our best player this season. Rarely if ever my choice as MotM but as often as not next in line. Admittedly he was off the pace on Tuesday night and was so-so yesterday. Also agree he's not back to pre injury form but that could be as much to do with having to play two roles (holding midfield as well as his preferred position, which is more creative). Reckon he'd comfortably fit into many top division sides on this season's form.

Glad to hear that news. Hard to measure performance properly on TV but when I see him, he looks sluggish, which leads to fouls and yellow cards.

Rarely notice his creative side and have him as a possession retainer. 

9 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

You’re trying too hard to gloss over his weaknesses, and every player has weaknesses. Keep the shots low and hard and you stand a chance of scoring against Hazard. It doesn’t even have to be well placed in the corners of the goal, just low and hard. Goals conceded against Dundee Utd, Hearts and yesterday were all capable of being saved. That’s not to say he should have saved all of them but they weren’t greatly hit well placed goals.

Again, I don't see the whole picture as am not at live games. He could be poor overall.

Was stating that I don't think he was to blame for the Hearts penalty and I don't think the other two goals v Hearts were his fault.

We all have players we don't rate. I've had a few myself in recent years.