Falkirk 16 March

eljaggo

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Don’t know about you , but I’m worried , we’ve got 8 games to go , and I reckon we need to win at least 4 of them , the only 1 out of the remaining fixtures I’m totally confident about is playing Alloa at home , the rest Ross County away , even the 2 Ayr United games who we haven’t beat this season, Dunfermline at home ( play like we did at East End Park we’ll get nothing.)

Inverness is a must win game on Friday

Think it’ll come down to the last game at Palmerston .

In which case that will become a "must win game"

Having watched the highlights, I think we were lucky to come away with a draw, certainly in terms of clear-cut chances and attempts.

There's no doubt that our team is very capable of getting relegated, especially with such a porous defence and the way we struggle to build on any lead we might have; even defending a lead seems to be a huge task for the entire team.

Will we get relegated again? I'm starting to think that it will go right to the end of the season, as I don't think we're consistently good enough to pull away to safety in the next few weeks. I'd love them to do it, though!

Incidentally, on the goalkeeper situation: If we persist with Hazard until the end of the season, but still end up either bottom or very near the bottom, does he just get thanked and sent back to his own club, so next season we bring back Sneddon who won't have played first team football in more than six months? So how will we have helped our own young player this season, by replacing him with another club's young keeper who hasn't as far as I recall been a positive game changer for us? 

You clearly were not at the game if you think we were lucky to get a draw. Falkirk had a 15 minute spell towards the end of the first half other than that we dominated the game. Simply watching 13 minutes of highlights doesn’t provide an accurate reflection of the game.  It was important that we didn’t lose on Saturday, we now have an opportunity on Friday to go above both Falkirk and QoS and hopefully the players have a more positive mindset than some on this forum.  Agree with your comments on Hazard and Sneddon 

It's true Falkirk had the better of the few chances on offer.  Paton (late of this Parish) messed up a header from a few yards and they also shaved a post but neither keeper was seriously busy.    McDonald missed with a header at the back post but he was the best player on the park.  There is a danger that we are putting all our eggs in one basket.  He can't be expected to carry us every week.   I lost count of how many times Falkirk gave the ball away or put it out of play (and not necessarily when under pressure from Thistle players).   We certainly weren't lucky to get a draw.   Anyone know what the away support was?  Considering the weather and two away games in a week I though it was more than decent.  Did anyone clock the Falkirk manager's comments on the BBC match report about Mr Caldwell's comments on how we played?  

Edited by a f kincaid
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Having watched the highlights, I think we were lucky to come away with a draw, certainly in terms of clear-cut chances and attempts.

There's no doubt that our team is very capable of getting relegated, especially with such a porous defence and the way we struggle to build on any lead we might have; even defending a lead seems to be a huge task for the entire team.

Will we get relegated again? I'm starting to think that it will go right to the end of the season, as I don't think we're consistently good enough to pull away to safety in the next few weeks. I'd love them to do it, though!

Incidentally, on the goalkeeper situation: If we persist with Hazard until the end of the season, but still end up either bottom or very near the bottom, does he just get thanked and sent back to his own club, so next season we bring back Sneddon who won't have played first team football in more than six months? So how will we have helped our own young player this season, by replacing him with another club's young keeper who hasn't as far as I recall been a positive game changer for us? 

The problem with basing your judgement on the game on watching highlights is that, well, you didn’t watch the game. We absolutely weren’t lucky to get a draw, and should have won. 

On 3/16/2019 at 10:14 PM, allyo said:

You really think he's in the team for experience, and not because our manager thinks he'll get us more points?

It seems more likely that some kind of favour is being returned. His record in individual games should have naturally led to some bench-warming, if only to relieve the pressure on him. After all, if Mansell and Fitzpatrick can be given a spell on the park, age shouldn't be a barrier to Sneddon getting a runout now and again.

22 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

You’re trying too hard to gloss over his weaknesses, and every player has weaknesses. Keep the shots low and hard and you stand a chance of scoring against Hazard. It doesn’t even have to be well placed in the corners of the goal, just low and hard. Goals conceded against Dundee Utd, Hearts and yesterday were all capable of being saved. That’s not to say he should have saved all of them but they weren’t greatly hit well placed goals.

13 goals lost so far, and we're into the third month: that isn't impressive.

The other effect of the goalkeeper is on the confidence of the whole defence.

16 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

I thought the introduction of Storey really helped us. He really pressured the Falkirk center backs and I thought we looked like scoring in the last 20 mins. We could not just open the strong Falkirk defense. 

Excuse the selected quoting. Not disagreeing in any way but with a bit of fine tuning within those three sentences there's almost a microcosm of so much of the season to date.

1/After a lengthy period when we've been the better side, we're running out of ideas and getting bogged down. Then someone comes on as a sub mid 2nd half and sparks new life into our attack. 

2/We really look like scoring a winner/equaliser.

3/But the opposition defence just gets the better of our invigorated attack. We leave the ground pondering over what could/should have been. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Regards the Hazard / Sneddon chat, at this stage of the season and in the position we're in the manager has to play whoever he thinks is the most likely to keep us in the league irrespective of which players / clubs development this benefits in the long run. I'm assuming he believes that player is Hazard and that is why he is getting the nod.

Edited by scottymagoo

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Fearchar said:

It seems more likely that some kind of favour is being returned.

There is one reason why Hazard is being played ahead of Sneddon and one reason only. The manager believes that right now Hazard is the better option. Now whether that is actually right is open for debate but that the idea that Hazard is being played as some kind of favour is simply nonsense. 

I don't think it is complete nonsense, if you take a player on loan there must be some sort of expectation (call it what you like) that the loaned player will not be used to keep the bench warm. I assume there is also a traffic in player reports from the borrowing manager to the loaning manager on progress.

The whole arrangement  doesn't, or shouldn't, preclude the borrowing manager from at least occasionally dropping the loaned player (ostensibly 'for his own good'), but there is bound to be some subtle pressure to play the man.

I am constantly and painfully aware, not just of our league position, but of the fact that we have the worst goal difference and the most goals conceded. Worse than Alloa who have just come up from the third tier, which is a particular disgrace.

Whether that's Hazard's fault or the 10 guys in front of him, and as to whether we should persevere with Hazard or revert to Sneddon ….

3 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I don't think it is complete nonsense, if you take a player on loan there must be some sort of expectation (call it what you like) that the loaned player will not be used to keep the bench warm. I assume there is also a traffic in player reports from the borrowing manager to the loaning manager on progress.

The whole arrangement  doesn't, or shouldn't, preclude the borrowing manager from at least occasionally dropping the loaned player (ostensibly 'for his own good'), but there is bound to be some subtle pressure to play the man.

I am constantly and painfully aware, not just of our league position, but of the fact that we have the worst goal difference and the most goals conceded. Worse than Alloa who have just come up from the third tier, which is a particular disgrace.

Whether that's Hazard's fault or the 10 guys in front of him, and as to whether we should persevere with Hazard or revert to Sneddon ….

The team gets picked on merit. No manager would play a loan player ahead of a non loan player as a nod to the loan players club, especially when the managers neck is on the line. Regarding our goal difference stats that's irrelevant as hazard as only played in less than 50% of our games. That said I don't get why mansell is getting more game time than Doolan. But hey I'm not the manager.

First of all if any of the below info is incorrect I apologise!

Conor lost 3 goals in 3 league games in January  (Average goal a game)

He then lost 8 in February in 4 league games. (Average 2 per game, albeit lost 4 in 1, 3 in another, 1 in another and had a clean sheet.)

and in March he's lost 2 goals in 2 league games. (Average goal a game)

Altogether thats 13 Goals in 9 Games (take away our 2 biggest defeats and thats 6 goals in 7 games)

Don't get me wrong he is making a lot mistakes recently... but lets compare him to Cammy.

Cammy lost 6 goals in 3 league games in August (Avg 2per game) 

He then lost 6 goals in 4 league games in September (1 Clean Sheet)

He then lost 4 goals in 3 league games in October

Then in November he lost 6 goals in 2 league games.

So in 12 Leagues games he conceded 22 goals.  

Sneddon played 1 in October - lost 2 goals

then he played 5 in December - losing 7 goals.

So 7 Goals in 6 Games.

Cammy has had 1 Clean Sheet in 12 Games, Jamie has had 1 Clean Sheet in 6 Games, Conor has had 1 Clean Sheet in 9 Games

Morton, Alloa and Dunfermline are the only teams we have had a clean sheet against.

Conor will miss out Friday against Inverness; So presumably Jamie will get a chance again - if he gets a clean sheet, do we stick with him? or do we go back to Conor for Morton away?

22 minutes ago, allyo said:

I reckon our goal difference is probably pretty decent since Hazard came in.

It may well be, I'm not about to start toting it up. However, if it is, this may well have something to do with the fact some proper defenders were also brought in at that time. 

On 3/16/2019 at 8:14 PM, Garscube Road End said:

I'm more worried about Caldwell being Thistle boss.

There has definitely been overall improvement between his appointment and now. Quite a few ups and downs during that period and several false Dawn's? But you can't argue that several recent performances have been an improvement. In December we would have lost that game on Saturday.

All that said, I don't see our present manager as the answer to all our ails, I've no idea who would improve our lot 

As has been said by many on this forum, Caldwell was brought in with a bit of a fanfare by jlow that he was the man to take us to promotion.........did she say what season promotion was to be achieved #justsayin

Saturday was a good game, was there for the winning, I just think the tactic in the first half was get at them, score a goal and keep them out. In the end, for the last 10 minutes I was screaming for a winner then they would attack and I was screaming for the whistle and grateful for a draw.

On 3/17/2019 at 2:40 PM, BowenBoys said:

That's the only bit that I do understand. Yesterday's game was not a 'must win' game.

More of a wannabe wind game I'd suggest.

Generally speaking all games are must wins no matter what your position is in the league, how many games are still to be played. I felt before that an away game against our nearest rivals for relegation was, if anything, a must not lose game?

Can we not get bogged down with semantics and agree we need to try and win more games than Falkirk and alloa between now and the end is the season. I'd rather win a 'must win' game with other games to come than be going to QoS last game and a real "must win" game.

3 hours ago, admin said:

There is one reason why Hazard is being played ahead of Sneddon and one reason only. The manager believes that right now Hazard is the better option. Now whether that is actually right is open for debate but that the idea that Hazard is being played as some kind of favour is simply nonsense. 

Oh Douglas, wrong account! We all know Admin is an automaton with no opinions.

33 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

There has definitely been overall improvement between his appointment and now. Quite a few ups and downs during that period and several false Dawn's? But you can't argue that several recent performances have been an improvement. In December we would have lost that game on Saturday.

All that said, I don't see our present manager as the answer to all our ails, I've no idea who would improve our lot 

As has been said by many on this forum, Caldwell was brought in with a bit of a fanfare by jlow that he was the man to take us to promotion.........did she say what season promotion was to be achieved #justsayin

Saturday was a good game, was there for the winning, I just think the tactic in the first half was get at them, score a goal and keep them out. In the end, for the last 10 minutes I was screaming for a winner then they would attack and I was screaming for the whistle and grateful for a draw.

Some fair points Thistlebright.

If GC keeps us up, it will be a relief. But the question about whether he is the right manager for 2019/20 remains. He failed in the objective he was given by the Club  in October 2018.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sandy said:

Some fair points Thistlebright.

If GC keeps us up, it will be a relief. But the question about whether he is the right manager for 2019/20 remains. He failed in the objective he was given by the Club  in October 2018.

I’m no fan of Caldwell, although I’m beginning to come round.

Nobody could have earned us promotion with the players he inherited. Archie’s player recruitment latterly was utterly shocking. I posted at the start of the season that I’d have been pleased to steer clear of relegation. 

After such an appalling start when he seemed to accept defeat in every game till 1st January, his own team has been performing far better.  If he keeps us up we should be pleased with progress and let him kick on next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

I’m no fan of Caldwell, although I’m beginning to come round.

Nobody could have earned us promotion with the players he inherited. Archie’s player recruitment latterly was utterly shocking. I posted at the start of the season that I’d have been pleased to steer clear of relegation. 

After such an appalling start when he seemed to accept defeat in every game till 1st January, his own team has been performing far better.  If he keeps us up we should be pleased with progress and let him kick on next season.

A very fair summary. Assuming we stay up and then we don't kick on next season, I fully accept he will be under even more pressure. I'm making no predictions lol how this will unfold.