Falkirk 16 March

eljaggo

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

I’m no fan of Caldwell, although I’m beginning to come round.

Nobody could have earned us promotion with the players he inherited. Archie’s player recruitment latterly was utterly shocking. I posted at the start of the season that I’d have been pleased to steer clear of relegation. 

After such an appalling start when he seemed to accept defeat in every game till 1st January, his own team has been performing far better.  If he keeps us up we should be pleased with progress and let him kick on next season.

5 points from his first 10 league games, average of 1/2 point per game. Since January 9 league games 15 points average of 1.67points per game. If he keeps up his points average since January he should be kept on. I think unless we go down he will be our manager next season. Even if we do go down not sure he will get sacked.

5 hours ago, admin said:

There is one reason why Hazard is being played ahead of Sneddon and one reason only. The manager believes that right now Hazard is the better option. Now whether that is actually right is open for debate but that the idea that Hazard is being played as some kind of favour is simply nonsense. 

I'd accept that but I can envisage cases where a manager of a lower league club feels obliged to play a loaned player from a higher level club. But this specific is regarding a goalkeeper and also regarding a club fighting for survival in their division. Further, whereas they may get miffed if an outfield player is marginalised, no parent club would wish to see their youngish goalie being played if off form/not ready/lacking confidence.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

I’m no fan of Caldwell, although I’m beginning to come round.

Nobody could have earned us promotion with the players he inherited. Archie’s player recruitment latterly was utterly shocking. I posted at the start of the season that I’d have been pleased to steer clear of relegation. 

After such an appalling start when he seemed to accept defeat in every game till 1st January, his own team has been performing far better.  If he keeps us up we should be pleased with progress and let him kick on next season.

Totally agree. He is not my favourite person but he is our manager for now and we should give him every support. From what I have seen in the last few games the players seem to be behind what he is trying to do and are giving 100%. I am sure there will be some who are unhappy about not starting but that is life.

I am sure we all have differing views on best starting 11 etc but Caldwell has to make those  decisions.What we all want ( I hope)  is for Thistle to win a few games, stay in the league and get ready for a big push next season. I think the best way to achieve this is to get behind GC. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allyo said:

i agree with that. Failing to meet unrealistic expectations does not count as real failure in my book.

obviously failure to keep us up would be different.

The expectations may well have been unrealistic- but Caldwell must have been partly responsible for that given that he blew the board away at interview.

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

The expectations may well have been unrealistic- but Caldwell must have been partly responsible for that given that he blew the board away at interview.

We have been over this ground before. What is a prospective employee meant to say at an interview to ensure you get the job, but don't demean the players, staff, system and ex manager. Helluva ask. 

5 hours ago, dl1971 said:

The team gets picked on merit. No manager would play a loan player ahead of a non loan player as a nod to the loan players club, especially when the managers neck is on the line. Regarding our goal difference stats that's irrelevant as hazard as only played in less than 50% of our games. That said I don't get why mansell is getting more game time than Doolan. But hey I'm not the manager.

The operative words were 'subtle pressure'; and the issue was not about Caldo in particular, but loans in general as was quite clear.  If I want to be 'trying to denigrate Caldwell', trust me I'll come straight out with it. And will if we are relegated (though I suspect I'll need to join a pretty long queue).

Where the loaned player is throwing them into the net for fun, there would be no hesitation about dropping him (as I suggested) but where there is a finer judgment to be made, then part of that judgment is bound to be, as LIB puts it, about the status pf a lower league club with a loanee from the SPL.

4 hours ago, sandy said:

Some fair points Thistlebright.

If GC keeps us up, it will be a relief. But the question about whether he is the right manager for 2019/20 remains. He failed in the objective he was given by the Club  in October 2018.

Yeah, that's a big issue that will need to be addressed. Agree he's not achieved what the board said he was being employed to do and even though we are seeing some improvement I just don't see him taking us up but suspect the board will stay with him.

There was some talk a few weeks back possibly yourself and barney? about crowds being down which could be argued suggested we the fans weren't buying in to what he was doing. That was true up until last month and I might be wrong but there seems to have been a good home crowd the last few home games and our turn out v Falkirk on Saturday was huge, so some must be buying in to what he's doing or are we all just showing blind loyalty to our club. Ive fair enjoyed the atmosphere at the last couple of away games and the fans in the main seem optimistic.

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

We have been over this ground before. What is a prospective employee meant to say at an interview to ensure you get the job, but don't demean the players, staff, system and ex manager. Helluva ask. 

Great point and this post should draw a line in the interview debate. We've surely done it to death. 

1 minute ago, sandy said:

Fair enough. My point is I fear the crowd numbers if we get relegated.

Yeah, especially if we are as poor as we were the last time we were in that league. Though when we started to play our crowds were bigger than some esspeell matches.

Wining coupled with good football brings big crowds back.

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

The operative words were 'subtle pressure'; and the issue was not about Caldo in particular, but loans in general as was quite clear.  If I want to be 'trying to denigrate Caldwell', trust me I'll come straight out with it. And will if we are relegated (though I suspect I'll need to join a pretty long queue).

Where the loaned player is throwing them into the net for fun, there would be no hesitation about dropping him (as I suggested) but where there is a finer judgment to be made, then part of that judgment is bound to be, as LIB puts it, about the status pf a lower league club with a loanee from the SPL.

So the subtle pressure bit has nothing to do with Caldwell being under subtle pressure to play Hazard rather than Sneddon. Really? And the throwing them into the net for fun is not about Hazard then....seriously? 

Disappointed with the result. I was at the game on Saturday,but got a chance to look at the game again on Jagzone(pish by the way). I think on reflection,we as the away team took the game to them and just deserved to win the game. We lost 2 players from our starting 11,and felt we coped pretty well against an in form team on an artificial surface and poor conditions. Some guys on here slaughtering Bannigan and Slater but not sure what some people expect these guys to do. Between them I think they gave the ball away maybe two/three times,made themselves available for almost every pass and made quite a few interceptions. They then tried to support the front men if possible. We should have won, but now that chance has gone,let’s hope we can do it on Friday night and the coming weeks. 

Ps just came back from the bar earlier and listened to one of our fans there. Wee guy holding court saying what he would/wouldn’t have done on Saturday. I thought wow,we never make a mistake in an armchair !!! Jokingly I said to one of the bar staff “He must’ve been some player”. He laughed and said I know him,he never got into our  school team !!! This guy is probably one of the keyboard warriors beating up on our own players. I’m thinking to myself these guys are confusing guys in the English Premiership or La Liga (Fantasy Football)on £50Grand a week with Thistle players who play in the Scottish Championship for £500/600 a week. Anyway enough of my rant Cmon the Jags !!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dl1971 said:

You think it is ok to lie to a prospective employer ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Great point and this post should draw a line in the interview debate. We've surely done it to death. 

Ok - I may have been clumsy in my response to Allyo. My point is that Gary Caldwell must have had some input into what the expectations were for the season after his appointment.

There will be many discussions at the end of the season about whether he has been a success or not ?

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

You think it is ok to lie to a prospective employer ?

I'm being realistic. If everyone on here was brutally honest during their own job interviews I suspect we would have more time on here! Now that's a truly awful thought....

Football is vastly different from most other industries in so much that most managerial applicants will have be sacked at their previous employment or never have managed before. At our level the only other managers who've not been sacked are likely to have only managed at part time club level.

Any interviewer in the football world will know that a previously sacked applicant will be very likely to be considerably economic with the truth when discussing previous employment. It's up to the interviewer to sort out the lies and distortions of the truth from any hard luck stories and rosy spin. Perhaps with Caldwell we're in a grey area somewhere in between?

5 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Ok - I may have been clumsy in my response to Allyo. My point is that Gary Caldwell must have had some input into what the expectations were for the season after his appointment.

There will be many discussions at the end of the season about whether he has been a success or not ?

Yep. First para is correct, I think it might have been auld jag or barney, well, "someone" on here mentioned that what would we expect Caldwell to do in his interview? (This is 1971's point in his post too). Other than his best, bum up the players, guild the lilly about how he could make things better. He's not going to go into his interview and say "the current players are sh1te and I can't make them better, you need to give me money and wait until I get players in". No chance. Like any interviewee you promise the world and tell the interviewer how good you are and how much better you will make their company.

My point was simply to agree with several posters points and suggest we drop the subject for now and move on, probably re visiting it at the end of the season?

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Yep. First para is correct, I think it might have been auld jag or barney, well, "someone" on here mentioned that what would we expect Caldwell to do in his interview? (This is 1971's point in his post too). Other than his best, bum up the players, guild the lilly about how he could make things better. He's not going to go into his interview and say "the current players are sh1te and I can't make them better, you need to give me money and wait until I get players in". No chance. Like any interviewee you promise the world and tell the interviewer how good you are and how much better you will make their company.

My point was simply to agree with several posters points and suggest we drop the subject for now and move on, probably re visiting it at the end of the season?

Completely agree, plus he will have had his own confidence that he could actually make things better!  It's the boards job to decide whether he has demonstrated those skills now that he has the role and whether his level of performance matches their expectations.

5 minutes ago, sb1876 said:

Completely agree, plus he will have had his own confidence that he could actually make things better!  It's the boards job to decide whether he has demonstrated those skills now that he has the role and whether his level of performance matches their expectations.

That's also a great point sb1876, the board will need to decide if his tenure this season is acceptable and if they have confidence in his remaining in post, whether we stay up or go down again.

I'm glad I don't need to decide cos my opinion on Caldwell changes sometimes by the day, never mind by the game:frantic:

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

the board will need to decide if his tenure this season is acceptable and if they have confidence in his remaining in post, whether we stay up or go down again.

who gets to decide whether the tenure of the board, chair etc, this season is acceptable, and if there is confidence in them remaining in post?

20 hours ago, dl1971 said:

So the subtle pressure bit has nothing to do with Caldwell being under subtle pressure to play Hazard rather than Sneddon. Really? And the throwing them into the net for fun is not about Hazard then....seriously? 

You've lost me … you may even have lost yourself, fan boi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, north stander said:

who gets to decide whether the tenure of the board, chair etc, this season is acceptable, and if there is confidence in them remaining in post?

Simple question, simple answer is none.

Not since the sellik "sack the board" campaign has fan power removed a board. Even then the machinations behind the scenes did it, and I'm sure the new guys were glad of the fans backing.

Most boards are autocratic, nature of the beast. I'd get rid of them all and start again but it's not going to happen

4 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Possibly because you are a thick boi....when you're found out you're found out. 

You write an immense amount of shite. 

You seem to go through every post with a heresy detector, sniffing out the slightest whiff of criticism of your hero (who is yet to steer us clear of trouble with a mere 8 games to go). You remind me of Boxer in Animal Farm Napoleon Caldwell is always right’. Or on second thoughts, Squealer.

The epitome of Überfannery.

I don’t understand when trying to criticise Caldwell people bring up that he was brought in to challenge for promotion this season, it was very clear early on we had no chance, the board, manager, players for one reason or another felt like they had to say it imo . Keeping us up is the objective and looking back imo we had one good result before Caldwell , the Falkirk win, well the manager was sacked the next game, the Morton win they had lost their manager the night before and where unsettled, which leaves the QOTS win a good entertaining win. These 3 wins imo parpered over the cracks to a relagation squad.