Falkirk 16 March

eljaggo

1 hour ago, That 1 jags fan said:

I don’t understand when trying to criticise Caldwell people bring up that he was brought in to challenge for promotion this season, it was very clear early on we had no chance, the board, manager, players for one reason or another felt like they had to say it imo . Keeping us up is the objective and looking back imo we had one good result before Caldwell , the Falkirk win, well the manager was sacked the next game, the Morton win they had lost their manager the night before and where unsettled, which leaves the QOTS win a good entertaining win. These 3 wins imo parpered over the cracks to a relagation squad.

Not sure if that’s strictly true , the majority of the squad Caldwell inherited, Penrice, Elliott, Bannigan , Slater , Doolan , Fitzpatrick, Storey , Spittal are all still playing, we’ve massively underachieved this season and Gary Caldwell is surely part of the reason where we are just now with 8 games to go .  I still believe there is a disconnection between the fans and Gary Caldwell and I’m not sure he’s the answer to move us forward in the future.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

You write an immense amount of shite. 

You seem to go through every post with a heresy detector, sniffing out the slightest whiff of criticism of your hero (who is yet to steer us clear of trouble with a mere 8 games to go). You remind me of Boxer in Animal Farm Napoleon Caldwell is always right’. Or on second thoughts, Squealer.

The epitome of Überfannery.

I like to think I provide some balance. Caldwell certainly not my hero. Far from it but I have given him the benefit of the doubt for now. You shouldn't let your obvious hatred of the manager get in the way of reasoned argument my friend. Words will always defeat the truncheon I think you will find. 

17 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

I'm less concerned at the interview performance of Caldwell and future prospective Thistle managers, than the interview performance of those doing the interviews. 

You’re right , doesn’t make any difference what he said at interview , bottom line he’s got nowhere near what he thought he could achieve with our team .

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re right , doesn’t make any difference what he said at interview , bottom line he’s got nowhere near what he thought he could achieve with our team .

1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

I'm less concerned at the interview performance of Caldwell and future prospective Thistle managers, than the interview performance of those doing the interviews. 

This is not so much a comment, more a series of questions:-

This discussion circles back to the decisions taken in the PTFC boardroom to hire a new manager. From what we know, or assume, Gerry didn't choose GC Jacqui Low did .... I think this is something that worries most of us.

If GC takes us to the relegation or into the relegation playoffs there will be a view amongst us that he has failed in his remit to 'return us to the Ladbrokes Premiership'. So if that happens and GC leaves / is fired, does JL still have any part of the decision making process for yet another manager?, does she have the final say?

If I am honest, I just want us to win all our games to the end of the season and finish 7th or 8th and allow me to 'happy clap' every Saturday [or Friday night] and order my season ticket for next year, but that aside, if we do manage to secure our Championship future for another season, it does still leave an unanswered question on suitability of JL to be the chair of a football club. From information shared on this forum I am told her position within the club is simply to look after the interests of Three Black Cats, so if that is the case why has she been elevated to the chair of the club? is that position entirely appropriate?

Jacqui Low has become the proxy owner of the Club in the absence of the Weirs on the Board, and the fact that only one of the directors own any shares (and that is a very small holding).  Add in the Club's involvement in the PTFC Trust, and she wields considerable power.

As of last month Jacqui Low also became a board member of Three Black Cats (the other two directors are Colin Weir and MBM Nominees)  the company behind the training ground project. According to the latest filings at Company House, Jacqui Low owns no shares in either PTFC or Three Black Cats. 

The Board promised Archibald, at the point of relegation, the resources needed to return us to the SPL and to play "the Partick Thistle way".  It would be interesting to find out whether (and if so how) the playing budget has changed over the course of the last 9 months.

Edited by eljaggo

8 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I like to think I provide some balance. Caldwell certainly not my hero. Far from it but I have given him the benefit of the doubt for now. You shouldn't let your obvious hatred of the manager get in the way of reasoned argument my friend. Words will always defeat the truncheon I think you will find. 

My words will always beat the shite you write.

You're the one that introduced the phallic truncheon. 

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

My words will always beat the shite you write.

You're the one that introduced the phallic truncheon. 

Hmmm. Your prose isn't exactly Shakespeare or indeed Orwell. C'mon you can do better than that my vitriolic comrade.

3 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Jacqui Low has become the proxy owner of the Club in the absence of the Weirs on the Board, and the fact that only one of the directors own any shares (and that is a very small holding).  Add in the Club's involvement in the PTFC Trust, and she wields considerable power.

As of last month Jacqui Low also became a board member of Three Black Cats (the other two directors are Colin Weir and MBM Nominees)  the company behind the training ground project. According to the latest filings at Company House, Jacqui Low owns no shares in either PTFC or Three Black Cats. 

The Board promised Archibald, at the point of relegation, the resources needed to return us to the SPL and to play "the Partick Thistle way".  It would be interesting to find out whether (and if so how) the playing budget has changed over the course of the last 9 months.

So, can we take it that the Weirs did not make a simple donation (a donation being defined as something given without consideration of a return) they have in effect taken over control of PTFC? 

I'm puzzled by this, as I seem to remember [correct me if I'm wrong] the Weirs saying they wanted to help make the club debt free, and also offer some help with a youth academy?

Having someone 'look after the interests of 3 black cats' and that someone assumes the position of chair of the club is way beyond what could reasonably described as a 'donation'.

I would think a donation with that level of control is called an investment?

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Hmmm. Your prose isn't exactly Shakespeare or indeed Orwell. C'mon you can do better than that my vitriolic comrade.

Ran outta gaga's. Keep it going semi, this is the best entertainment on my phone...............

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

So, can we take it that the Weirs did not make a simple donation (a donation being defined as something given without consideration of a return) they have in effect taken over control of PTFC? 

I'm puzzled by this, as I seem to remember [correct me if I'm wrong] the Weirs saying they wanted to help make the club debt free, and also offer some help with a youth academy?

Having someone 'look after the interests of 3 black cats' and that someone assumes the position of chair of the club is way beyond what could reasonably described as a 'donation'.

I would think a donation with that level of control is called an investment?

Conflicting accounts from many sources as to the weird involvement. Very confusing, I don't know who's in charge of our club and to whom my money is going

11 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I judge things really simply. When GC took over in October, Thistle were in 8th place. We are now 9th and in the relegation zone. 

As it stands, he has taken us backwards. 

Where we finish is the most important thing. I think only then can we say if we think/ hope he should be kept on or sacked. A good article on the BBC Scotland sport website about the process of hiring a football manager. Sorry but not technical enough to do a link.

19 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Well Scott Macdonald is on £1500 a week....

14 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Conflicting accounts from many sources as to the weird involvement. Very confusing, I don't know who's in charge of our club and to whom my money is going

The training ground is an investment by the weirs who then lease it to the club. The weirs restructured our debt and consequently now own part of the club. The club is run by a BoD who are appointed by the shareholders. As with any long established business our shareholders are a very diverse group of people and as our shares are not really traded you have to buy shares from existing shareholders or issue new ones.

your money is going to the club as no I be or entity is taking cash out if the club and the club is run by the board.

12 hours ago, sandy said:

I judge things really simply. When GC took over in October, Thistle were in 8th place. We are now 9th and in the relegation zone. 

As it stands, he has taken us backwards. 

He hasn’t taken us backwards as that depends where your start and end points are ....if we win on Friday and go 7th by your logic he has taken us forward....and of course Archie’s start and end points would also say he took us backwards....

we have not improved in league position as much as we hoped but since January results and performances have improved 

16 hours ago, dl1971 said:

So if we win on Friday and jump to 7th he has taken us forward then. That's simple too.

Another way of looking at things is extremely few fans would be surprised or anti Archie's dismissal back in the autumn when we were at 8th place. Many thought he should've gone in May (either back then or in hindsight).  I doubt very much those responsible for selecting Caldwell would have done so thinking if some twenty or whatever league games later we'd be (at best) one league place up the ladder. That's one way of looking at things.

I realise that's not really the point you're making but in no way can Caldwell's tenure to date be seen as a success. In fact I guess I'm speaking for everyone when I say if we finish the season in 8th place there will be a collective sigh of relief.

However it's glaringly obvious the goalposts have changed since the outset of Caldwell's appointment. I'm willing to be fair and accept he overrated the strength of our squad back then so perhaps we should now judge him from January.  In fact if you give Caldwell some grace in so much as he didn't have all signings in place early in the month and take thing from the QoS match then he's won 4, drawn 1 and lost 2 (13 points from 21). That points rate is easily well inside the promotion play off placing slots. And that's the other way of looking at things.

Reckon what I'm saying is there are two conflicting viewpoints re judging Caldwell's performance. It's not surprising then to have opinions on the subject on here so stretched. The encouraging aspect is the latter performance record is the positive one, but even at that we still desperately need to keep up that improvement in results.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you accept as I do that the squad that Archie assembled was utter mince then you cut Caldwell some slack ..... results since January if replicated across the season would put us in the play offs.....which would be an ok outcome for most of us ......if he gets us mid table he will be here next season 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, javeajag said:

The training ground is an investment by the weirs who then lease it to the club. The weirs restructured our debt and consequently now own part of the club. The club is run by a BoD who are appointed by the shareholders. As with any long established business our shareholders are a very diverse group of people and as our shares are not really traded you have to buy shares from existing shareholders or issue new ones.

your money is going to the club as no I be or entity is taking cash out if the club and the club is run by the board.

If it happens

13 hours ago, javeajag said:

But you have to accept that for a Small Football Club its highly unusual for a Board to have little or No Shares nor any real connection to the Club in any substantive way ( being a ex Player IMO isnt a real connection as its a job ) My question is why would you want to be a Director in these circumstances ?