Friday night v ICT

Paulo

Ok that was typical us

lucky to go in level at HT after a very poor first half really dreadful 

second half change happened when Mansell and Harkins went off both were awful ....Mansell just did nothing and Harkins well just pish 

we started to get on top then the defence decided it was xmas ....twice 

spiral and storey made a difference though storeys final pass is well dreadful 

so wrong team selection and a very bad result 

reality is we are are just poor 

Setting aside any notion of partisanship - it really was a dreadful spectacle of a game. ICT were, in my view, much the better team but really didn't have to be particularly good. 

On the other hand we were unbelievably disjointed - totally lacking in any cohesion, tactics or (that hideous cliche) spirit.

It was a sobering watch and I fear that automatic relegation is more probable than a play-off  although that perhaps depends on whether or not there is a poorer side in the division rather than on the current team's collective "abilities".

Having said that I personally believe that the malaise comes from the top and the Board should take a good look at the fruits of their labour and judge themselves on what they see.

Edited by JeanieD

I have no doubt after tonight that we will finish bottom now! The decision to firstly sign Harkins for 18 months is astonishing, compounded by then playing him. A complete and utter passenger! The worst of it is I think the team know they are going to be relegated!

Edited by Grubber8468

Its been a while since I've seen thistle play due to life getting in the way. I had hoped that with recent results that we had turned a corner and developed a style of play.

However that was terrible. At no point did we actually look capable of playing more than 3 passes together. I think the system in the first half was 4-1-2-1-2 which is the first time I've seen that attempted and unsurpisingly left us very narrow with big gaps.

The team  selection in midfield was bizarre. McMillan looked lost in midfield, Harkins couldn't get near the ball, Bannigan and Slater struggle to make passes as the team was all over the place. 

Second half was marginally better as we moved to a 4-1-3-2 and then finally a 4-3-3. With so many formation changes its not surprising the players don't develop any rhythm to the play.

We have a playing squad that is better than Inverness so to my mind the blame for tonight falls on the manager. We are in trouble and its going to be touch and go if we stay up. Anyone fancy another relegation playoff?

• Like 1

Manager can take the blame for the starting XI.

Far too defensive, far too negative in a game we needed to win.

Midfield didn't have a clue what it was supposed to be doing, no shape and aimless punts to Mansell and McDonald.

McMillan can't play in midfield, in fact, he is pretty dodgy at ful back as well. Why take off Elliot?

I've not been convinced with Anderson at all since he signed and tonight proved no different. Him and Saunders were dreadul, bullied by a big striker.

The manager can take a big portion of the blame but the players attitude is woeful. Someone might want to tell them we are in a relegation battle.

Only when Storey and Spittal came on did we show any threat due to actually having pace to attack.

I've no idea why Caldwell decided that was the best team to set up with but it was doomed from the start.

The whole club is sinking fast, zero leadership on the park, in the dugout or in the boardroom.

2,000 home fans for a must win game is pitiful, regardless of being on tv or not.

I hope they all enjoy Tenerife.

Scunnered.

• Like 1

We were lucky to go in on equal terms at half time, but I thought we were the better side between 45 and 75 minutes, only to utterly giftwrap their chances to let them in for their goals. 

After their second, we looked devoid of inspiration as they stroked it around, and it was quite painful as the crowd really turned. 

Confidence is not high. 

I was going to say we were dreadful in the first half, but we weren't that good. Second half we improved but still lost . Had hoped that once Caldwell had signed his players in January that had improved us and looked like it had. But tonight we were back to one of the worst displays of the season.

We've taken 4 points from the last 5 league games now with 7 to play.  Of the 7 we need to play Dunfermline who are on a winning streak and County probable champions.  Its looking utterly grim. 2 of the last 3 vs Ayr. Let's hope Mr McCall takes pity on us. 

I think the most dispiriting thing was the was we seemed just to give up when they scored their second (there was a fair chunk of time left). Oh and the whole first half.  I have not a scoobie as to what the first half tactics were meant to be.

Sneddon was good. Storey was Storey (excellent till the final ball). Bannigan scored a good goal. Other than that, trully dreadful. 

4 points in 5 games is back to relegation form. Our only hope is that Queens can keep up their even worse form, and we can do enough to pass them and stay shead of Alloa.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Just back from that shambles!

Taxi for Caldwell  - maybe he'll get Scotland job - why should we be the only ones to suffer??

He did apply for the Scotland job. But they weren't taken in by his very impressive power point presentation.:thinking:

7 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I think the most dispiriting thing was the was we seemed just to give up when they scored their second (there was a fair chunk of time left). Oh and the whole first half.  I have not a scoobie as to what the first half tactics were meant to be.

Sneddon was good. Storey was Storey (excellent till the final ball). Bannigan scored a good goal. Other than that, trully dreadful. 

4 points in 5 games is back to relegation form. Our only hope is that Queens can keep up their even worse form, and we can do enough to pass them and stay shead of Alloa.

Tonight was the ideal game to win and put pressure on Falkirk, QOS and even Morton. We failed as we have done most of this season.

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

He did apply for the Scotland job. But they weren't taken in by his very impressive power point presentation.:thinking:

3 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Thoroughly dismayed to see Cardle and Fitzpatrick on the bench while the senescent Harkins pulls on a jersey.

This could be a piece of tactical brilliance or it could be ...