Friday night v ICT

Paulo

3 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Why is Storey played ahead of Fitzpatrick?

If only we could merge them. Storey presently is better at taking the game to the opposition and getting into very good positions (as he was today). 

Fitzpatrick is composure personified when found in a good position. If Storey had one tenth of that composure he’d be great. Such a frustrating player, but I get why he plays and I thought he was our best outfield player today, and looked like he might turn the game. That final ball though!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

Manager can take the blame for the starting XI.

Far too defensive, far too negative in a game we needed to win.

Midfield didn't have a clue what it was supposed to be doing, no shape and aimless punts to Mansell and McDonald.

McMillan can't play in midfield, in fact, he is pretty dodgy at ful back as well. Why take off Elliot?

I've not been convinced with Anderson at all since he signed and tonight proved no different. Him and Saunders were dreadul, bullied by a big striker.

The manager can take a big portion of the blame but the players attitude is woeful. Someone might want to tell them we are in a relegation battle.

Only when Storey and Spittal came on did we show any threat due to actually having pace to attack.

I've no idea why Caldwell decided that was the best team to set up with but it was doomed from the start.

The whole club is sinking fast, zero leadership on the park, in the dugout or in the boardroom.

2,000 home fans for a must win game is pitiful, regardless of being on tv or not.

I hope they all enjoy Tenerife.

Scunnered.

I think ur assessment is true, tactics wer way off, the whole shape from mid to top was out due to GC accommodatin Harkins, Bannigan is prob close to best holding in devision, but pumped wide, mediocre in that position, with no wide men, Fitz or cradle or spitz or storey, our attacking threat was limited to punts up park, no building throw midfield, can't blame th players coz they only doin wat GC tells them, so fe@#in frustrated tnite, Harkins bein accommodated throo this game tnite

1 minute ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

If only we could merge them. Storey presently is better at taking the game to the opposition and getting into very good positions (as he was today). 

Fitzpatrick is composure personified when found in a good position. If Storey had one tenth of that composure he’d be great. Such a frustrating player, but I get why he plays and I thought he was our best outfield player today, and looked like he might turn the game. That final ball though!

If Storey had a final ball he would be playing at a much higher level. He is however not a footballer. 

4 minutes ago, Z88 said:

If Storey had a final ball he would be playing at a much higher level. He is however not a footballer. 

The thing is, he quite literally is. And a good one in so many ways except that final ball. He showed a lot of skill today in getting to the byeline. Then he loses all composure. So So frustrating.

4 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

The thing is, he quite literally is. And a good one in so many ways except that final ball. He showed a lot of skill today in getting to the byeline. Then he loses all composure. So So frustrating.

Frustrating is the word!

Edited by Z88
Misspelling a word

The Caldwell Effect had drained my enthusiasm to the extent that I had missed the last 5 home games...after 20 minutes tonight I was bored and wishing I had not made the effort. It was a truly dreadful display...I would have to think very hard to remember such a disheartening performance at Firhill. Inverness were the better side and deserved to win but the team formation with aimless hoofball the only option made it easy for them.

Sneddon made some decent saves, Spittal added much needed energy and drive and Banzo scored a lovely goal but otherwise didn't look like he was enjoying his football - that was about all the positives. I had been unconvinced by the reports of supposed improvement but I was genuinely shocked at how poor the team was and how inept the new signings were.  McMillan, Saunders and Mansell were pretty hopeless plodders and Harkins is washed up...but the worst of the lot was Anderson who was laughably bad...he looked and played like a man in his 50's. 

Archie won his first three home League games but was rightly sacked when he then lost at home to Ross County...I think we were 2 points off the play-off place and it wasn't good enough. We have only won three home games since and on tonight's display we look like a side which will be relegated. I have posted before that it was clear to me by the end of November that Caldwell was a failure...now like Derek Johnstone, Gerry Collins and Dick Campbell before him, Caldwell is Dead Manager Walking...I don't want him to be manager of my team and I don't expect any improvement until he leaves.

In less than 2 years, the Club has squandered a wonderful opportunity and looks to be heading for another long spell in the wilderness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We play with no width, which should at least bolster the central areas only too lose two goals thru the middle. Sneddon made a couple of very good saves (the first one Hazzard wouldn't have got down to) otherwise the scoreline would've been more reflective of the game.

With a couple of exceptions none of the outfield players can be pleased with their performances tonight. But even if more of them were on top of their game I doubt it would've made any significant difference when you play hoofball, and very poor hoofball at that. Caldwell has to take the lump of the blame for tonight in terms of both team selection and tactics, tho' that's hardly the right word for that mess.

Absolutely woeful tonight. Not once did I get the feeling we were going to win. Yet again like last season we keep passing up good opportunities to get ourselves out of trouble. Genuinely feel like it was the beginning of the end tonight. Players don't seem to realise the trouble we're in and certainly don't have the stomach for the fight that lies ahead. 

11 hours ago, eljaggo said:

I'd certainly give it a try LLAS.   Starting tonight.  You could then post your thoughts on the game that you saw.

What a game. The manager totally nailed it. The team totally controlled the first half, every man knew his job.  It was terrific. Second half cranked things up. Storey coming off the bench was a master stroke and his 30 yard volley with a minute to go has to be goal of the season.

This drinking milarky is the business.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Real version………..

A bitter night with a poor crowd. That was probably the game that will put us down a division.

What was Caldwell thinking when he selected that team. This was a massive step backwards. I don’t think the defence or midfield had been told who was meant to be doing what. All our creative players were dropped to the bench. McGinty would have a strong case for getting back in the team on the back of Andersons display.

The ball was being thrashed aimlessly from the defence.  McDonald is a proper footballer and was being asked to chase balls just launched into no man’s land.

Why did Fitzpatrick not get on the park? Cardle has shown he gives the team more of an attacking edge. Why did he not start? Coulibaly is showing up well in the reserves, why does he not even make the bench?  Why was the team lesft for so long without changing things? Why did the team just fold when the second goal went in? What exactly was the game plan tonight?

These are the questions I’m sure our slick JagZone interviewer will be putting to the manager.

7 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Real version………..

A bitter night with a poor crowd. That was probably the game that will put us down a division.

What was Caldwell thinking when he selected that team. This was a massive step backwards. I don’t think the defence or midfield had been told who was meant to be doing what. All our creative players were dropped to the bench. McGinty would have a strong case for getting back in the team on the back of Andersons display.

The ball was being thrashed aimlessly from the defence.  McDonald is a proper footballer and was being asked to chase balls just launched into no man’s land.

Why did Fitzpatrick not get on the park? Cardle has shown he gives the team more of an attacking edge. Why did he not start? Coulibaly is showing up well in the reserves, why does he not even make the bench?  Why was the team lesft for so long without changing things? Why did the team just fold when the second goal went in? What exactly was the game plan tonight?

These are the questions I’m sure our slick JagZone interviewer will be putting to the manager.

The question I would like the Jag Zone interviewer to ask  ' Do you know where your nearest Job Centre is ? As you are going there in the morning. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Wasn't a piece of tactical brilliance after all, actually turns out that Caldo is indeed a fcukwit as we suspected all along.

Don't see his number one fan boi, Squealer, on here tonight for some reason. Repeat after me: 'Cadlo is always right', and 'relegation is pure speculation'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Real version………..

This. In a game we had to win, why set up to defend and punt balls up to Macdonald/Mansell? ICT strolled the first half and was a miracle it was still 0-0 at HT. Only when Spittal came on did we give ICT something to think about. Stop trying to be too clever Caldwell and just play a team that will score more goals than the opposition. Big setback. Only positive, Sneddon. 

Edited by NotAFan

Agree with most people's views this loss can be put down to Caldwells team selection and Tactics.. fair play to Inverness they seen our weakness and took full advantage of it. 

Wee Mcdonald was brilliant tonight but spent most of his time trying to put attacks together rather than being in the box to finish anyrhing off.

I really don't understand what Caldwell was thinking looked like a 4 4 2 diamond with McMillan supposedly being some sort of defensive midfielder.. he was completely out his depth. And to be honest I'm shocked that penrice wasn't used there before McMillan as I think it would have worked far better.

Really disappointing night and I can still feel the ******* cold.

6 hours ago, NotAFan said:

This. In a game we had to win, why set up to defend and punt balls up to Macdonald/Mansell? ICT strolled the first half and was a miracle it was still 0-0 at HT. Only when Spittal came on did we give ICT something to think about. Stop trying to be too clever Caldwell and just play a team that will score more goals than the opposition. Big setback. Only positive, Sneddon. 

Even though I couldn't make it agree with this. Sensible comment free of bile. Truly awful result. Thankfully I have sunshine and lots of beer to extinguish this defeat. No Im not in Tenerife lol.

Agree with most views already aired. Truly awful night-still freezing this morning and still pissed off. Tactics, set up and team selection appalling. Spittal showed more in his first 3 minutes on the park, for example, than Harkins did during his whole 'shift'. Sneddon was excellent and had no chance at either goal. McDonald is different class and played his heart out trying to create something amongst the dreadful hoofball. Doolan, Fitzy on the bench while we needed experience and creativity. It was like the entire team had been sent out without any game plan and just told to do what they want. Badly.

Freezing my arse off, I went from reasonably confident of continuing improvement to despair and an utter conviction that I'll be taking the weans to the cinema next week instead of going to Cappielow.

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We play with no width, which should at least bolster the central areas only too lose two goals thru the middle. Sneddon made a couple of very good saves (the first one Hazzard wouldn't have got down to) otherwise the scoreline would've been more reflective of the game.

With a couple of exceptions none of the outfield players can be pleased with their performances tonight. But even if more of them were on top of their game I doubt it would've made any significant difference when you play hoofball, and very poor hoofball at that. Caldwell has to take the lump of the blame for tonight in terms of both team selection and tactics, tho' that's hardly the right word for that mess.

So are you saying the best selection GC made last night was the one he wouldn’t have made had hazard been available?!

Shocking team selection and terrible formation but what was more worrying for me was the absolute lack of heart or fight. Are these players really playing for their manager? 

Why didn’t we change the formation earlier when it was clear within ten minutes of the first half it wasn’t working? Why do we seemingly change formation every week? Why is Gary Harkins starting? Why is Gary Harkins on an 18 month contract? Why did Fitzpatrick not get brought on? Why is Doolan not being given literally a minute on the pitch these days?

How can anyone defend Caldwell anymore? The guy has been an utter disaster for this club and even if we stay up (and that’s an enormous if) he has to go in the summer - there’s absolutely no doubt about that. I cannot bear starting the season and having to listen to more of his pish and watch the pish that his teams serve up. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 1

I've seen Thistle lose games plenty of times and struggle with relegation on far too many occasions, but I left Firhill last night more angry and frustrated than I've ever felt after a defeat. I've tried to work out why last night's game infuriated me so much: it was similar in many ways to the Dundee United game, with the opposition dominating a lot of the play and Thistle showing flashes of creativity, only, of course, the winning goal going to the wrong team. I think it was because the penny finally dropped for me last night - this team can only win if every Thistle player who contributes plays at the top of their game. If one player plays badly, or a couple of them have an off day, that's it, we're stuffed. Other teams can compete even if they're not playing at their best. We can't. There's no resilience in this team. They look like a beaten side trying to hold on for the final whistle - from the moment things don't go their way! It doesn't even have to come from conceeding a goal, just the opposition refusing to play to the plan. Caldwell, obviously, is not a good manager. He should be removed at the first opportunity. But we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon. Hard to feel anything other than despair this morning.

Scared what today might bring, if it's true that things come in 3s, after our woeful performances in Kazakhstan and last night.

I'm puffed out going on about changing the manager, and it's now clear he's here to stay; but I'm afraid we watched Thistle going down last night. Gruesome but true.  There's still arithmetical hope of course, and more than 20 points to play for, but the cluelessness and lack of urgency that permeated our performance for most of the game was our demise writ large. 

I'm just slouching around now in resignation to our fate, and I hate myself for that as I've always been unduly optimistic, even in our darkest moments.