Ryan Stevenson

I dunno if anyone else heard Ryan Stevenson on BBC sport sound on Tuesday night. Part of the discussion centred on fan behaviour and during this Stevenson cited Patrick thistle fans abusing him in a game v sellik. He complained that he received abuse from Celtic fans and from his own fans and that the abuse from Thistle fans was so bad his son had to leave the game.

This was of course a one sided discussion as no one else had been at that game and Stevenson further highlighted additional abuse by his own fans after he was trying to return from injury.

I was at many games if not all games at that time and didnt hear anything said against him

Anyone shed some light?

My only vague recollection was an away game at Tynecastle. Ryan was of course a former Hearts favourite. He put the ball out of play when a Hearts player went down in circumstances where others might have played on.

When he was substituted, he applauded the whole ground, acknowledging some clapping from Hearts supporters in recognition of his past performances for them.

I cannot say that I was too bothered, but some Thistle fans around me were foaming at the mouth and made their feelings known. The fact that we were losing and that Ryan had played poorly probably had more to do with it.  Anyway, he did clock the negative reaction and seemed genuinely surprised.

Aye, I mind that game at Tynecastle. Didn't do himself any favours that day. Think tho' a lot of criticism re Stevenson was a bit OTT. His body language suggested he didn't give a toss but in truth he had always looked that way long before he ever joined us. Don't think he ever fully recovered from the injury he picked up at NDP towards the end of his first season. 

I don’t think Jags fans are particularly guilty of abusing their own players. Sometimes a collective groan can be heard when Miles comes on but I don’t think he gets abuse. To his credit, he is 100pc man.

Stevenson is out of order criticising Jags fans as he did himself absolutely no favours, especially in relation to the Hearts incident but also his general fitness level. He shouldn’t have been playing if he hadn’t recovered properly.

His exit was good for us and him. Move on.

I want every single Jags player to succeed and try to encourage them all during the game no matter whether I rate the player. 

Give the pelters on here though!

There was a game v Celtic I’m sure he was getting treatment off the park then the ref took an age (good few minutes) to allow him back on but folk were going mental at the situation of him just standing there.

Would be amazed at folk abusing players that bad in games we never won and as a collective were usually terrible anyway.

7 minutes ago, king of spain said:

There was a game v Celtic I’m sure he was getting treatment off the park then the ref took an age (good few minutes) to allow him back on but folk were going mental at the situation of him just standing there.

Would be amazed at folk abusing players that bad in games we never won and as a collective were usually terrible anyway.

There was a home game v Celtic in August 2015 when he got a head knock and played on with a bandage round his head after a lengthy delay. Could have been that one, maybe?

And yes we never laid a glove on them that day.

The term 'abuse' needs clarified.

Normally the manager takes the flak for picking the player rather than the player getting a hard time themself.

This has been a tough season for thistle fans and there have been a hell of a lot of individual bad performances on the park but I haven't heard anything too shocking hurled at players. Maybe a bit of booing or calls to get them off the park. Elliot went through a bad spell at the start of the season even giving away goals and I never heard anything like abuse hurled at him.

Ryan should explain his poor performances instead of getting bitter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

There was a home game v Celtic in August 2015 when he got a head knock and played on with a bandage round his head after a lengthy delay. Could have been that one, maybe?

And yes we never laid a glove on them that day.

Remember that well, there was mass booing but only towards ref who took an age to allow Ryan back on after treatment.  He was standing on half way line in front of JH stand so was prob taking pelters from Celtic fans however if this is what he is referring to he has misinterpreted the booing from us.

Football fans overall are *********.  The culture of abuse they give in the stadium which they would never do outside is bizarre to me.  Swearing, aggression, negativity, sexism, homophobia and racism we've all heard it.  This covers all fans before people get precious about "fellow Jags".

Ryan Stevenson comes across well in radio and he should not have been abused the way he was.  His children should never have heard that which is heart breaking.  It also sounds like he did have an element of depression.

Ryan suffered as he stands out  on a pitch or pub or shopping centre.  He has a presence, big guy with loads of tattoos.  We all had huge hopes for him as he was a very good player but suffered from injuries when he came to us which damaged his physical and mental health.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Football fans overall are *********.  The culture of abuse they give in the stadium which they would never do outside is bizarre to me.  Swearing, aggression, negativity, sexism, homophobia and racism we've all heard it.  This covers all fans before people get precious about "fellow Jags".

Whilst I agree with this I would change football fans to society in general and a lot of these numbnuts would behave in that way away from a football stadium too.  Footballers are more high profile so these incidents are highlighted more but lets not forget the swearing,aggression,sexism,homophobia and racism is played out every day to nhs staff, police, public transport workers, taxi drivers, shop staff, civil servants and all for simply doing their jobs.

47 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Ryan Stevenson comes across well in radio and he should not have been abused the way he was.  His children should never have heard that which is heart breaking.  It also sounds like he did have an element of depression.

Ryan suffered as he stands out  on a pitch or pub or shopping centre.  He has a presence, big guy with loads of tattoos.  We all had huge hopes for him as he was a very good player but suffered from injuries when he came to us which damaged his physical and mental health.  

Wow! a football fans forum where all football fans are branded *********.

39 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Whilst I agree with this I would change football fans to society in general and a lot of these numbnuts would behave in that way away from a football stadium too.  Footballers are more high profile so these incidents are highlighted more but lets not forget the swearing,aggression,sexism,homophobia and racism is played out every day to nhs staff, police, public transport workers, taxi drivers, shop staff, civil servants and all for simply doing their jobs.

I believe that a lot more act like they do because of the protection they feel in a crowd. If that crowd is in a football ground then it is football's problem.  We can't just go on blaming "society" and passing the buck up the line  to faceless "others".  It's the strict liability argument given details.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but football seems to be a more negative experience than ever.  Treated like a criminal on the way in, fans already deciding that we're terrible and they're going to hurl all sorts of abuse at the players, ref, each other, whatever.  Players trying any trick to cheat their way to an advantage for themselves, players would rather roll about to get attention than get back up and work for their team.  Meh, pass me my pipe and slippers.  

4 hours ago, elevenone said:

Agree with all of this. We all need to take a look in the mirror sometimes. There is banter and there is nonsensical abuse. Most fans know the difference. A small minority of thistle fans don't. 

Re that Celtic game mentioned above, though I got blue in the face booing at the ref 'cos he wasn't letting him back on, someone pointed out afterwards that with a 'blood' injury the ref has to wait until the ball goes out of play .... ?

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Agree with all of this. We all need to take a look in the mirror sometimes. There is banter and there is nonsensical abuse. Most fans know the difference. A small minority of thistle fans don't. 

There's a couple of those twats sitting behind me in the JHS. Every season, they have a player they clearly don't like and that player gets it all season. I find it really boring. This year, it's Penrice. who's 'no effin trying'.

• Like 1

I had to move down towards the front of the JHS for the Inverness game as I had a friend with me and couldn't sit in my ST seat.

There were three older gentlemen and a lady giving Miles Storey absolute pelters before he even came on. There was a period of respite between 1-1 and 1-2 and then everyone got it!

The usual guys around me seem almost sensible in comparison :thumbsup2:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I don’t particularly agree.

In recent times I’ve never heard racism or homophobia in the JHS.

Im a season ticket holder at Glasgow Warriors. It’s not as passionate with rugby. When Thistle score it’s best feeling. Nothing compares. I offer 2 fingers to oppo fans with delight. 

Lets not lose the passion!

54 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I don’t particularly agree.

In recent times I’ve never heard racism or homophobia in the JHS.

Im a season ticket holder at Glasgow Warriors. It’s not as passionate with rugby. When Thistle score it’s best feeling. Nothing compares. I offer 2 fingers to oppo fans with delight. 

Lets not lose the passion!

You can still be passionate without being abusive to the manager, the team, your fellow fans. It's kinda simple.