Morton 30/3/19

Auld Jag

I know we have all been glued to the telly watching Brexit, but I am surprised that nobody has started a thread for tomorrows game. After a good start to the Calendar year ,11 points from our first 5 games, we have only managed 4 points from our last 5 games. Another big game and a win for Thistle would put some pressure on the teams around about us including our opponents tomorrow. We have had a few chances to do this and so far failed. We are running out of games and although I think Alloa will now finish bottom if we want to avoid a play off for the second season in a row we really need to get back to the results and form we showed at the beginning of the year.

• Like 1

If we lose today, I believe that the Get Rid of Caldwell floodgates will fully open.

I was almost ready to give him a chance but the second half of the Ross County game changed that and last week was diabolical.

Add in this weeks wee jolly to Tenerife, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes if we get substantially gubbed by that mob again.

A convincing (any) win is the only acceptable result for me today.

• Like 2

At half time last week, the TV commentator remarked that Thistle were "struggling to get their most influential players on the ball".  On the park might have been more accurate, with Spittal, Fitzpatrick and Cardle all on the bench. That needs to be remedied today.

• Like 1

If we go with the same line up as last time he should be sacked immediately but even GC ain’t that stupid.

attacking line up with an attacking mentality is what’s needed from now until the end of season. 

Agree the wee Jolly has put added pressure on the run in

Today and every other game until we’re safe is HUGE

4 hours ago, sandy said:

This is arguably our biggest game of the season so far.

Win and we will be hunting Falkirk down to safety. Lose and we’ll be questioning the expense of Tenerife; and GC may need to go.

3 hours ago, Sinistar said:

If we lose today, I believe that the Get Rid of Caldwell floodgates will fully open.

I was almost ready to give him a chance but the second half of the Ross County game changed that and last week was diabolical.

Add in this weeks wee jolly to Tenerife, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes if we get substantially gubbed by that mob again.

A convincing (any) win is the only acceptable result for me today.

2 hours ago, Sivad said:

At half time last week, the TV commentator remarked that Thistle were "struggling to get their most influential players on the ball".  On the park might have been more accurate, with Spittal, Fitzpatrick and Cardle all on the bench. That needs to be remedied today.

Ran out of likes. Agree with all of these.

After watching the Dunfermline V Ayr game, my thoughts were along the lines of:- if we turn up wanting to play, we should beat the Fifers 9 times out of 10, but Ayr United … I can see them rolling us over if they play to their best. Ayr played Dunfermline off the part for 75% or the game last night, and if they had converted all the chances they made, they should have won comfortably. As it was they took a valuable 3 points away from a team that have been playing well for the majority of 2019. How we were beaten 3-0 by Dunfermline in February is a real mystery to me, and I can only guess it was some sort of hangover from the Ross County game 3 days previously?

Watching last nights game put the importance of todays game into clear perspective for me, if we turn-up and get into the faces of the opposition and pressurise and challenge for every ball we will make any team start to commit errors, and from those errors we have the skilled player to make the chances, and those chances will be converted. 

Morton are not a good team, we know that, but they were good enough to put 5 past us last year, hopefully today will be the time for 'pay-back'

17 minutes ago, jagfox said:

IMG_20190330_140005.thumb.jpg.b3b6afdb368041dfa2e66f85fb4f6a93.jpg

Check out @PartickThistle’s Tweet:

5-3-2 or a diamond in midfield? 

I would think GC's plan is to play 4-2-3-1 with a 4-4-2 variation. I don't remember ever seeing Doolan and McDonald on the field at the same time, so that should be interesting. I note there is no place for Harkins, and I think this is a wise move, the pace of the match today should be too much for him to be effective. If we play the pressing 'in your face' game, we win, but conversely if we sit back and let Morton get organised, we lose. This team looks to be one that will play the pressing game, so I'm optimistic

5 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I would think GC's plan is to play 4-2-3-1 with a 4-4-2 variation. I don't remember ever seeing Doolan and McDonald on the field at the same time, so that should be interesting. I note there is no place for Harkins, and I think this is a wise move, the pace of the match today should be too much for him to be effective. If we play the pressing 'in your face' game, we win, but conversely if we sit back and let Morton get organised, we lose. This team looks to be one that will play the pressing game, so I'm optimistic

Agree, the absence of Harkins must be significant in terms of a pressing game.