Dunfermline 06/05

BalornockJag

If we play a high tempo, pressing game from the start I believe we can beat Dunfermline with ease, conversely if we let them play they way they want, they will gain the initiative, and the game could be a nervy 90 minutes.

Hopefully GC will have watched the way Ayr United played them of the park for 75 minutes last week and learned what tactics are required to beat Dunfermline. [no place for Harkins in the starting line-up please]

3-0 win

Dunfermline have still a chance of ending up 4th and in the play offs. I think it would suit us if they came out their shell a bit more and not be content with a draw.

I too would like to see Doolan & McDonald start again but not at the expense of playing too narrow. Cappielow suited the 3-5-2 but I feel we have to set up wider or at least less rigid. On the plus side both forwards took turns and tracked back and/or helped out in defence against Morton. That at least helps give us some flexibility.

I'm assuming Banzo isn't suspended till the following game, so if we go with the same starting XI we'll have a fair choice of midfielders on the bench.  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I was thinking maybe a 4-4-2?

Hazard

Elloit       Anderson  Saunders  Penrice

Fitzpatrick  Gordon    Banzo    Cardle

Doolan     McDonald

Would be harsh on Spittal and McMillan , but our defence is the worst in the league so why not just go for it?

You would like to think the only change for this game would be Slater for Bannigan (assuming he is suspended)

Gordon brought balance to the midfield, Doolan and MacDonald look like they could be a really good pairing. 3 at the back is probably the best setup for 3 right footed centrebacks and it needs more time to bed in. 

I hope someone was coaching Elliot and Saunders on their positioning over the week as there did appear to be gaps between those 2 that Morton were having some joy with.

I'm a bag of nerves over this game already.

Win it and we keep the momentum going and I'll feel more confident about staying in this division.

Lose it and I fear the worst.

Despite the great 3-0 win at the weekend, as Laukat commeted on above, there were times when Morton cut through

our defence like a knife through butter. On the other hand we do look more dangerous with the McDonald/Doolan combo up front.

3-2 Jags win then!

2 hours ago, belfastjag said:

I'm making it to the game this weekend. Hoping for a similar scoreline to the last time I seen Dunfirmline. 5 or 6-1. It might have been the game that won us the league, or at least in my mind. A lot of water under the bridge since then.

We slaughtered them 5-1 in our promotion season fairly early into the season. Our display that day was imperious.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

We slaughtered them 5-1 in our promotion season fairly early into the season. Our display that day was imperious.

The goals included 3 absolute belters, crashing header from Balatoni, sweeping move finished off by O'Donnell's cool dink, and world class strike by Forbes. The 2 by Stevie Lawless were not bad either.

22 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

If we play a high tempo, pressing game from the start I believe we can beat Dunfermline with ease, conversely if we let them play they way they want, they will gain the initiative, and the game could be a nervy 90 minutes.

Hopefully GC will have watched the way Ayr United played them of the park for 75 minutes last week and learned what tactics are required to beat Dunfermline. [no place for Harkins in the starting line-up please]

3-0 win

Why the negativity around Hawkins? There's been a few comments over the past few months. Imho he's one of the most skillful player we have. Yes, I'll concede that his stamina could be better, he was never blessed with pace but his possession and passing is still there, on a number of occasions you can see his thought process is quicker than other players reactions. Also Caldwell seems to have bought him for the role of playing deep midfield, in front of the centre halfs so perhaps he is still getting used to this role. In training he keeps the ball for fun. Just askin

Is the game not on 06/04 not 06/05?:D.

Hoping for any sort of Thistle win. I think the top 4 play each other and the bottom 6 all play each other so it’s going to be massive, Falkirk play Alloa, I don’t even know who I want to win lose or draw, probably a draw in that one and a Queens vs Morton draw aswell. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Why the negativity around Hawkins? There's been a few comments over the past few months. Imho he's one of the most skillful player we have. Yes, I'll concede that his stamina could be better, he was never blessed with pace but his possession and passing is still there, on a number of occasions you can see his thought process is quicker than other players reactions. Also Caldwell seems to have bought him for the role of playing deep midfield, in front of the centre halfs so perhaps he is still getting used to this role. In training he keeps the ball for fun. Just askin

Simply as a tactic. He would not fit into a 'pressing game' where we simply don't allow Dunfermline to settle and play their passing game. I think as a player he is fine to watch if the game is played at a pace to suit his skills, but I don't see Saturdays game being played that way.

Another good week in training according to Caldwell. Yup.

Team for tomorrow? I’d stick with (‘head sorted’) Doolan and Skippy up front, with Fitzpatrick to come off the bench later. Gordon In for Banzo. Rest of team picks itself provided Storey & Harkins are not in the first 11. 

2 hours ago, sandy said:

Team for tomorrow? I’d stick with (‘head sorted’) Doolan and Skippy up front, with Fitzpatrick to come off the bench later. Gordon In for Banzo. Rest of team picks itself provided Storey & Harkins are not in the first 11. 

agreed, all you say is correct, lets hope GC reads this forum 

3 hours ago, sandy said:

I thought that Banzo was free to play tomorrow, but suspended next week. In which case it seems like same team again (ie both Banzo and Gordon, with Slater on the bench).  Only problem, with Firhill being a bigger pitch than Cappielow, is lack of width, but maybe the wingbacks and Spittal have to endeavour to provide this.

4 hours ago, sandy said:

Gordon started last week! :lol: