Dunfermline 06/05

BalornockJag

5 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Even if we stay up Caldwell has to go. Time and again his tactics are baffling. He seems to be thrashing about and hoping it comes good. He is clueless. 

I'd like to disagree but wouldn't really know where to start. Even so I'll give it a try.  Feel there's a wee bit more self belief around the squad and collective attitude appears positive. Coming back from 0-2 to looking the side more likely to get a winner suggests that morale is fine amongst the squad. A good few of the squad are Caldwell imports so credit there. Maybe the Tenerife trip has been successful and the resultant team bonding will give us sufficient edge to end up safe? So just maybe a wee bit credit there.

Other side of the coin is it's difficult to put a positive spin on Caldwell's tactical nous. Today for instance we only ended up with a shape positive enough to win the game by sheer accident when Saunders went off injured. How we were expecting to win a home game with three centrebacks who, set plays aside, won't cross the halfway line. Add a fourth centreback redeployed as a makeshift wingback and it's even more damning.

• Thanks 1

Coming back from two goals down is welcome, but the fact is we have failed yet again to win an eminently winnable home game, and now face probably the toughest fixture in the league next Saturday. 

That Caldwell brought us into and has failed to get us out of a relegation dogfight is justification enough for him to receive his jotters come the end of the season. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Scully at the second goal showing why it is baffling to how he is a professional goalkeeper, absolute diddy. First half was a disgrace but we should have won, McMillan is to slow to play wingback and Gordon was useless thought Mcginty had a good game and Cardle changed the game. Got away with one today with other results but we are 8th 3 points off 6th but also 1 point off bottom going to go till the end this season.

I disagree about Scully; he had several saves that were massive in getting his team a point yesterday. Agree that we should have won, but some good last-gasp blocks by the Pars defenders.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I disagree about Scully; he had several saves that were massive in getting his team a point yesterday. Agree that we should have won, but some good last-gasp blocks by the Pars defenders.

shows how bad we are that scully -4 goals kept us out

Good comeback yesterday and a very entertaining second half. We really should have gone on to win the match with the pressure we had. 

We really struggled to cope with the pace of the Dunfermline front two especially early on in the game. We had plenty of warning before the first goal of their threat.  They were playing the ball forward as quickly as possible and drifting into the space behind the wing-backs. Both Anderson and Saunders both really struggled to cope. 

I had been a critic of Sean Mcginty throughout this season but yesterday he had his best game for us. He was the only one that seemed able to cope with the pace of the two Dunfermline front men. 

It was Jack Mcmillan who was mostly to blame for the first goal however - he is to slow to pick up  Beadling and then is far to easily beaten. 

I thought Penrice had his best game for us yesterday - not sure why he never got man of the match as I thought he was clearly our best player behind Banzo. 

Really tight at the bottom and it could well go to the last game to decide our fate. Still plenty of issues with the team but if we keep our best players and add some in key positions I feel we will not be too far away next season if we stay in this league. 

This season is turning out to be a real battle at the bottom - our form after the window would have been enough to pull away from the bottom most years but the form of other teams around us is stopping this from happening. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure what to make of yesterday. At 2-0 down a point looked a good return but with Alloa's result and the lack of home gomes left I wonder of we might regret not taking all 3.

Penrice was a standout yesterday, Hazard made some important saves and McDonald  whislt quieter than normal was still very effective. No idea how Spittal got man of the match. To me he did nothing until he was put into centre midfield with 10 minutes to go and whilst Storey missed a sitter, Spittals miss in the first half was worse as he had plenty of time to see the ball and a lot more target to hit.

We had the same problem in defence this week as against Morton. Dunfermline were better than Morton at exploiting it. To my mind when we lose posession in mdifield there is too much space between the midfield and the back line which creates a gap for the oppositon to run into. The back 3 need to be about 2/3 yeards further forward.

I thought McMillan was unlucky to be sacrificied at half time, he was getting into decent attacking positions and his crosses were better than Christie, however taking him off forced Anderson, Saunders and McGinty to play further forward and we had less gaps to expose. Dunfermline did miss a sitter second half and on another day that game finishes 5-5.

9 minutes ago, laukat said:

I thought McMillan was unlucky to be sacrificied at half time, he was getting into decent attacking positions and his crosses were better than Christie, however taking him off forced Anderson, Saunders and McGinty to play further forward and we had less gaps to expose. 

Sorry for the selective quoting but that kinda sums up the Caldwell approach to yesterday's game. 

14 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sorry for the selective quoting but that kinda sums up the Caldwell approach to yesterday's game. 

Yes, to my mind he struggles with coaching players and tweaking systems. I don't believe he conciously make that sub to get the defence higher it was more that he just wanted to get more attackers on the pitch to chase a goal.

His approach to management is very much centred on trying to create competition for spaces and if you don't hit his mark you are out the team. He also seems to have a fairly cavalier attitude to chasing games. Yesterday we ended up 3-2-5 formation which is great if it works but will sometimes cost us a draw or make us suffer a big loss.

BTW - anyone know how Saunders is? He would be a big miss if injured

19 minutes ago, laukat said:

Yes, to my mind he struggles with coaching players and tweaking systems. I don't believe he conciously make that sub to get the defence higher it was more that he just wanted to get more attackers on the pitch to chase a goal.

His approach to management is very much centred on trying to create competition for spaces and if you don't hit his mark you are out the team. He also seems to have a fairly cavalier attitude to chasing games. Yesterday we ended up 3-2-5 formation which is great if it works but will sometimes cost us a draw or make us suffer a big loss.

BTW - anyone know how Saunders is? He would be a big miss if injured

I don't think caldwell looks to create competition for spaces in this team.  He plays five at the back and so doesn't play with wingers. Our wingers cardle and fitzy will always be on the bench,  doesn't matter what they do in training or when they eventual come on. Cardle came on yesterday not because of the managers tactical brain, But because of mcmillians injury. He then brings on storey yes he can run fast and upset defenders but can he score no. Fitzys on the bench has scored more goals in less minutes on the park than  storey. And again brings him on not as a tactical sub but because of injury and puts him in defence as he said in his interveiw

49 minutes ago, kevin energy said:

What happens if Doolan does not get offered a contract  and Caldwell lets him go ?

It’s up to Dools to earn a new contract.

So far this season he doesn’t deserve it but let’s hope he can score a barrowload in the few remaining games.

7 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

It’s up to Dools to earn a new contract.

So far this season he doesn’t deserve it but let’s hope he can score a barrowload in the few remaining games.

Are you for real?

Dools deserves a new contract. He's already earned it with his performances this season., even if by his own standards it hasn't been stellar.

Besides, who do you honestly think we could get to replace him on our budget?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Are you for real?

Dools deserves a new contract. He's already earned it with his performances this season., even if by his own standards it hasn't been stellar.

Besides, who do you honestly think we could get to replace him on our budget?

Over the course of the season he’s been one of the reasons we are still in the mire.

Take off your Doolan coloured spectacles and get realistic. 

I would love to see him start scoring again and lead our attack next season but there’s no point in carrying him due to (correct)legendary status.

6 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Over the course of the season he’s been one of the reasons we are still in the mire.

I would love to see him start scoring again and lead our attack next season but there’s no point in carrying him due to (correct)legendary status.

There has been times he hasn’t played this season, the last 2 games he’s showed his quality, to suggest that is why we’re in the mire is absolute rubbish, 

The main reason we’re in the mire with 5 games to go is because of Gary Caldwell , no debate about that at all in my opinion , giving Harkins an 18 month contract, the signings of Mansell , Ally Roy , letting Chris Erskine go , not playing your best players Cardle , Aidan Fitzpatrick or even giving Souleymane Coulibaye a chance to impress , he’s had 3/4 of the season to sort things out and hasn’t , these are more pertinent reasons than blaming Kris Doolan for the mess we’re currently in .

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Did he not score twice against Morton last week ?

47 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I don't wear spectacles.

Alan Archibald and Gary Caldwell are the reasons we are in. the mire.

No individual player is responsible for that. Doolan has had a thankless task this season, playing up top with inferior service.

Also, GC seems to have realised that two of the best players at his disposal are Dools and Skippy, hence why they have started together lately.

There are many, many reasons why we are in this mire. None of them are called Kris Doolan.

• Like 2