Souleymane Coulibaly

douglas clark

The likelihood is that he will leave the club.

It would be ridiculous if the fans who greeted his signing with such enthusiasm were never told why he goes ( if he goes! ) He looks ok in the reserves so is it legal reasons, fitness reasons, attitude reasons, not signed by Caldwell reasons, not good enough...…..   should we not be told. Don't need chapter and verse just an idea why our big signing didn't work out.

Thistle fans have been treated as idiots by the club this year being offered spin and tightly scripted interviews instead of meaningful engagement.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

It would be ridiculous if the fans who greeted his signing with such enthusiasm were never told why he goes ( if he goes! ) He looks ok in the reserves so is it legal reasons, fitness reasons, attitude reasons, not signed by Caldwell reasons, not good enough...…..   should we not be told. Don't need chapter and verse just an idea why our big signing didn't work out.

Thistle fans have been treated as idiots by the club this year being offered spin and tightly scripted interviews instead of meaningful engagement.

There was meaningful engagement last year? For instance?

2 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Well said 

7 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Does any club ever do that about a current, or still playing player ? Very rare.

9 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

There was meaningful engagement last year? For instance?

When #onethistle we’re doing a lot of volunteering for the Club, we tried to encourage meaningful engagement; but I don’t think the Board at the time felt it was a priority. Sadly.

1 hour ago, sandy said:

When #onethistle we’re doing a lot of volunteering for the Club, we tried to encourage meaningful engagement; but I don’t think the Board at the time felt it was a priority. Sadly.

What was the reason given for discontinueing #onethistle? If memory serves me well it was both popular and successfull.  From the Board's point of view it was also a way of involving fans without giving away too much of the Board's control over business matters.

(this thread seems to be a crossover with a couple of others, like "Jags Trust AGM)

46 minutes ago, scotty said:

What was the reason given for discontinueing #onethistle? If memory serves me well it was both popular and successfull.  From the Board's point of view it was also a way of involving fans without giving away too much of the Board's control over business matters.

(this thread seems to be a crossover with a couple of others, like "Jags Trust AGM)

JJ can answer better than I can. JJ and Lance in particular gave a lot of hours to the club, we were all volunteers. But the Board paid the initiative lip service; they like the hashtag but didn’t seem keen on any greater fan involvement. Might have just been Maxi who didn’t really care, not sure.

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Does any club ever do that about a current, or still playing player ? Very rare.

At bigger clubs the press / media do the job and ask the questions on behalf of the fans.  At smaller clubs issues tend to be common knowledge. It's the club's in the middle ( where we are just now) that there tends to be a disconnect.

We took a punt on Coulibaly. He hadn't played for a year. He was banned from playing by FIFA as he was in legal dispute with his (former?) club. Thistle stated that while in dispute we weren't paying him anything. We helped him fight his case with FIFA, I'm not sure how much that would have cost us (our MD is a barrister, our sponsors are an employment law firm).  None of us knows the terms of his contract (and nor should we). There is no way the club will tell the fans why his is not getting a game, it would be unprofessional to discuss this publicly.

Coulibaly once scored a wonder goal against Celtic but a year out of football is a long time. It was worth the punt but it seems, for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out. Fair play to the club for giving it a go. If it had worked out it would have been great. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

We took a punt on Coulibaly. He hadn't played for a year. He was banned from playing by FIFA as he was in legal dispute with his (former?) club. Thistle stated that while in dispute we weren't paying him anything. We helped him fight his case with FIFA, I'm not sure how much that would have cost us (our MD is a barrister, our sponsors are an employment law firm).  None of us knows the terms of his contract (and nor should we). There is no way the club will tell the fans why his is not getting a game, it would be unprofessional to discuss this publicly.

Coulibaly once scored a wonder goal against Celtic but a year out of football is a long time. It was worth the punt but it seems, for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out. Fair play to the club for giving it a go. If it had worked out it would have been great. 

Exactly, maybe there are issues around the legal decision then again it could be down to the manager coming in when he was supposedly just back from injury and as he stated around Shea Gordon he has more trust in other players.

36 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Exactly, maybe there are issues around the legal decision then again it could be down to the manager coming in when he was supposedly just back from injury and as he stated around Shea Gordon he has more trust in other players.

That could be phrased as a distrust of players associated with the previous manager. 

53 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Correct. It would be totally unprofessional for the club to discuss the terms of his contract.

To tell us why a player, who could potentially improve the team, is not playing is quite different.     I ( indirectly ) pay his wages,  why should I not know why he is not being played. 

Clubs have often stated a player is overweight or not fit. Celtic even explained one of their players wasn't playing cos he had mental health issues for goodness sake. 

So you reckon I just keep paying my money but it would be unprofessional to tell me why a player is turning out for the reserves but not getting played for the first team. Give me a break.

1 hour ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Correct. It would be totally unprofessional for the club to discuss the terms of his contract.

To tell us why a player, who could potentially improve the team, is not playing is quite different.     I ( indirectly ) pay his wages,  why should I not know why he is not being played. 

Clubs have often stated a player is overweight or not fit. Celtic even explained one of their players wasn't playing cos he had mental health issues for goodness sake. 

So you reckon I just keep paying my money but it would be unprofessional to tell me why a player is turning out for the reserves but not getting played for the first team. Give me a break.

The manager said he's available for selection so why don't you give us a break? :lol:

2 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Of course he's available he's on our fecken books!!!!!! 

You're obviously very easy to please when it comes to the club giving out player info.

What info do you want? What other clubs do this? Be very specific. Thank you x