Souleymane Coulibaly

douglas clark

On 4/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, jagfox said:

What info do you want? What other clubs do this? Be very specific. Thank you x

It's ok I'll back off now

I've already given examples.

When I asked what had happened to our marquee signing I didn't expect  state police parked across the road. I've obviously been asking too many questions. 

Quite enjoyed the later stages of today's game I'll go back to just watching the football. 

If I asked why Cardle hasn't been starting recently would you get annoyed xxx

Edited by Legs Like A Spider

59 minutes ago, sandy said:

Kiss kiss, @jagfox 

Is this your angle when you don’t like other opinions? 

At least LLAS is trying to talk about the tactics today, which looked a bit flawed. And I agree

Did you read my post? I expressed my doubts too. 

13 hours ago, sandy said:

That could be phrased as a distrust of players associated with the previous manager. 

I think what JagFox was meaning(if I'm wrong JagFox just let me know!) was that guys like Slater, Banzo, Harkins, Spittal and anyone else that has played in centre mid have had the chance to impress over a number of games and let GC see what they are capable of doing on the pitch. At this crucial time of the season with just a handful of games to go, Gordon would have probably been left out of previous squads/starting elevens purely because GC, prior to the reserve matches, hadn't had the chance to see what he is capable of and how he was coping after his latest injury set back. With the tight nature of our position a manager wouldn't want to add an unnecessary risk. - sure you can watch games from the start of the season or a year or so ago but there are no guarantees that you are getting that player. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thistle88 said:

After his appeal etc got rejected I didn't think Coulibaly would be allowed to be on the bench for us ? Haven't teams been chucked out of cups for having a ineligible player as a unused sub?

I'm sure I saw somewhere that the result of the appeal doesn't affect our temporary licence.

I've only see the highlights from the reserve games on Jagzone but I haven't seen anything that would persuade me to select Soulyemane ahead of Doolan, McDonald, Mansell or Roy and I presume that the manager feels the same.  No explanation required.  No conspiracy anticipated.

I'd hoped it would have been different but my euphoria has almost subsided now.

I think SC. played today for the reserves this afternoon against Dunfermline, I say 'think' as there was a black guy with dreadlocks, but only on the top of his head [think 'Sideshow Bob' from the Simpsons and you are getting close] anyway, he looks nothing like his photo on the PTFC webpages.

There was a black guy who played with number 9 on his back today for Thistle, that's for sure, unfortunately he was completely ineffective and if he was Coulibaly we are missing nothing. The team as a whole were painful to watch, whereas Dunfermline played a high tempo, assured and comfortable possession and passing game that had the Thistle reserves chasing shadows. If the Dunfermline reserves were relaxed and competent on the ball, the Thistle players, on the occasions they actually got their foot on the ball, were nervous and eventually frustrated by an opposition that basically had them in their back pocket. At one stage in the second half I had to count the players Dunfermline had on the pitch as the way they were playing was like they had 2 or 3 more than Thistle …. yes that bad!

I missed most of the first half, but he game ended 2-0 to Dunfermline …. had Dunfermline won by 5 or 6, it would not have flattered them.

Notable that Mansell, Roy, Aaron Lennox and any of the first team that occasionally get a run out in the reserves were absent today. Not sure if we had any substitutes available, but Dunfermline had at least 6 and used 4 of them. Stevie Crawford and Dools were in their respective dug-outs at the match.

24 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I think SC. played today for the reserves this afternoon against Dunfermline, I say 'think' as there was a black guy with dreadlocks, but only on the top of his head [think 'Sideshow Bob' from the Simpsons and you are getting close] anyway, he looks nothing like his photo on the PTFC webpages.

There was a black guy who played with number 9 on his back today for Thistle, that's for sure, unfortunately he was completely ineffective and if he was Coulibaly we are missing nothing. The team as a whole were painful to watch, whereas Dunfermline played a high tempo, assured and comfortable possession and passing game that had the Thistle reserves chasing shadows. If the Dunfermline reserves were relaxed and competent on the ball, the Thistle players, on the occasions they actually got their foot on the ball, were nervous and eventually frustrated by an opposition that basically had them in their back pocket. At one stage in the second half I had to count the players Dunfermline had on the pitch as the way they were playing was like they had 2 or 3 more than Thistle …. yes that bad!

I missed most of the first half, but he game ended 2-0 to Dunfermline …. had Dunfermline won by 5 or 6, it would not have flattered them.

Notable that Mansell, Roy, Aaron Lennox and any of the first team that occasionally get a run out in the reserves were absent today. Not sure if we had any substitutes available, but Dunfermline had at least 6 and used 4 of them. Stevie Crawford and Dools were in their respective dug-outs at the match.

It was young Jordan Kemoe upfront not Souleymane Coulibaye, he’s just been promoted from the 18s squad , we had 1 sub today, not sure we’re taking the reserve team terribly seriously! 

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

It was young Jordan Kemoe upfront not Souleymane Coulibaye, he’s just been promoted from the 18s squad , we had 1 sub today, not sure we’re taking the reserve team terribly seriously! 

Thanks for the update on the centre forward JLS, that is the first time I have seen the lad. I agree the set-up Thistle reserves have compared to the other teams I have seen this season [Motherwell, RFC and Dunfermline] is not impressive. I wonder if having our own training facilities for academy players, reserves and first team will improve matters? There seemed to be a lack of urgency from the bench, almost like they were doing enough to fulfil the requirements of having a team in the reserve league and no more. Quite sad.

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Thanks for the update on the centre forward JLS, that is the first time I have seen the lad. I agree the set-up Thistle reserves have compared to the other teams I have seen this season [Motherwell, RFC and Dunfermline] is not impressive. I wonder if having our own training facilities for academy players, reserves and first team will improve matters? There seemed to be a lack of urgency from the bench, almost like they were doing enough to fulfil the requirements of having a team in the reserve league and no more. Quite sad.

You have got to remember that the reserves are mostly made up from the under 18 team. 

9 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

You have got to remember that the reserves are mostly made up from the under 18 team. 

Not sure if this is the best way to introduce young players to the next grade. The team I saw playing against Motherwell were good, competent and able to match that team, the game against RFC was no contest [to be expected I guess] I feel todays game would have been disheartening for the Thistle lads, the Dunfermline team were excellent. Like I said earlier, if you are putting together a team just to comply with the requirements of the reserve league and you field a team of young lads who are taking heavy defeats it would seem to me to be counter productive. I don't see much being gained today, other than perhaps an inferiority complex for the young Thistle lads.

Interesting to note Steve Robinson was at the Motherwell match and Stevie Crawford was at todays match.

I go to quite a few of the reserve games but I find it hit or miss re the competitiveness aspect. Sometimes we can play a few first team squad players to balance up with our tendency to play really young players. Other times there's complete mismatches. Gotta say tho' mostly there's genuine reasons why we can't field a strong side. For instance just now Caldwell may prefer not to risk playing squad players in fear of injuries preferring that to game time. The fault with the Reserve League lies more with SPFL than the individual clubs.

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2019 at 11:39 AM, BowenBoys said:

We took a punt on Coulibaly. He hadn't played for a year. He was banned from playing by FIFA as he was in legal dispute with his (former?) club. Thistle stated that while in dispute we weren't paying him anything. We helped him fight his case with FIFA, I'm not sure how much that would have cost us (our MD is a barrister, our sponsors are an employment law firm).  None of us knows the terms of his contract (and nor should we). There is no way the club will tell the fans why his is not getting a game, it would be unprofessional to discuss this publicly.

Coulibaly once scored a wonder goal against Celtic but a year out of football is a long time. It was worth the punt but it seems, for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out. Fair play to the club for giving it a go. If it had worked out it would have been great. 

On 4/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, jagfox said:

What info do you want? What other clubs do this? Be very specific. Thank you x

There are going to be a couple of posters on here very angry and disappointed at their club  being so unprofessional but I thought Caldwell did well last night to explain the situation with Coulibaly.

I thought he could have added something to the team  but if everything Caldwell says is true then he had to go.

Good to get clarity.

17 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

There are going to be a couple of posters on here very angry and disappointed at their club  being so unprofessional but I thought Caldwell did well last night to explain the situation with Coulibaly.

I thought he could have added something to the team  but if everything Caldwell says is true then he had to go.

Good to get clarity.

:lol:

Really?

28 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Ok a wee bit of  sarcasm but it was a daft remark that prompted it. 

Of course a club should explain and it was good that they did.

So what was the explanation? That he was unprofessional, missed team meetings and was perpetually late for training?

56 minutes ago, Emsca said:

So what was the explanation? That he was unprofessional, missed team meetings and was perpetually late for training?

Contradicts what Souleymane has said in an interview today, basically manager took him for a ride, told him he was starting on the Friday come Saturday he was in the stand

• Sad 1