Souleymane Coulibaly

douglas clark

30 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Contradicts what Souleymane has said in an interview today, basically manager took him for a ride, told him he was starting on the Friday come Saturday he was in the stand

He also said in that interview (here, delurker https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/souleymane-coulibaly-from-the-new-drogba-at-spurs-to-patrick-reserves/ ) that the other manager (Archie) gave him a chance in a couple of games when it was actually Caldwell that first game him a run out (GC's 1st game in charge at Alloa). One confused gentleman.

Here's the relevant portion of the interview:

The 24-year-old had been signed by Alan Archibald, but Scotland’s second longest-serving boss was sacked in October and replaced by Gary Caldwell. Things quickly went downhill from there for the man who scored 11 goals in 26 appearances for Killie back in 2015-16.

“It’s been very tough, especially when you fight back from an injury to come back stronger and then not be given a chance under the new manager,” Coulibaly says.

“At the start of the year the other manager gave me chances in one or two games, but this one has never given me a chance. I have only played five minutes under him, I’ve never been given the chance to play one or two games.

“He has told me many times I am going to play and that he needs me, but nothing changes. When I ask him he says I am not ready and he just keeps giving me excuses. At the end of the day, when you understand your position you just need to put your head down for the new season.

“Every manager I have played for I’ve had a good relationship with, even if I am not playing they will tell me why, saying things like, ‘I want more from you,’ but when I am playing for a manager who tells you you’re playing on Saturday and then he puts you in the stand…

“Sometimes the team is doing well so you can understand if you’re not playing. But they were in a bad position and not doing well.”

He played 85 minutes of football for Thistle. Every second of that was under Caldwell's management.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Contradicts what Souleymane has said in an interview today, basically manager took him for a ride, told him he was starting on the Friday come Saturday he was in the stand

Have you asked any of the players Christie Elliot etc what they thought of Soulimanye in training?  Id be very surprised if you heard any positive feedback from them about his attitude.

41 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Here's the relevant portion of the interview:

He played 85 minutes of football for Thistle. Every second of that was under Caldwell's management.

When Caldwell spoke about Coulibaly last night l thought it was one of the questions he was most uncomfortable answering. Question was prompted by our poor goals scored rate between his appointment and Christmas. Coulibaly was a goalscorer, why not try him?   Caldwell said he wouldn't be with us next season and spoke a bit about how a player from a few seasons before isn't necessarily the player you have now. When he gave a few examples of why the player wouldn't be in his long term plans, someone asked him why that wasn't made public (poor timekeeping, questionable attitude) he said he wouldn't hang a player out to dry in public. When it was further put to him that perhaps it would motivate the player to try harder if this was made public and help fans understand what was happening, Caldwell said he disagreed and that it would demotivate someone who, in an emergency, might be called on to play. I got the impression he would rather not bad mouth players in public but would be clear on if, or if they would not, be part of his plans going forward. 

Again, l hope l caught this right and it's of some help with this topic.

3 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

There is no way the club will tell the fans why his is not getting a game, it would be unprofessional to discuss this publicly.

Going round in circles now. 

Has this been bugging you for six weeks :shok:

When I posted that, on 6 April, Coulibaly was an employee of Partick Thistle. Had Caldwell come out then and made the comments attributed to him last night, it could well have become a matter for an employment tribunal. Now Coulibaly is no longer an employee, he will have to bring a libel case to clear his name. I doubt very much that will happen.

The circumstances then and now are completely different. I stand by what I posted.

That's my final post on the subject. There is enough nonsense on this forum at the moment. It's very tiresome. Have your say then we'll call it a day.

4 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

When I posted that, on 6 April, Coulibaly was an employee of Partick Thistle. Had Caldwell come out then and made the comments attributed to him last night, it could well have become a matter for an employment tribunal. Now Coulibaly is no longer an employee, he will have to bring a libel case to clear his name. I doubt very much that will happen.

The circumstances then and now are completely different. I stand by what I posted.

That's my final post on the subject. There is enough nonsense on this forum at the moment. It's very tiresome. Have your say then we'll call it a day.

I agree and I don't do the endless tit for tat stuff.   

Its hardly crossed my mind let alone bugging me it was just events last night brought it to mind.

We will agree to differ.  I still think the club should let the fans, who pay the wages, know if there is an issue with a big signing. You think it should be kept internal.

We can shake hands and walk away,,,,,,,,,if only other posters were as reasonable as us.

…...unless you comment again, then I will be compelled to respond :lol::lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Gary Caldwell was pretty candid last night on most things but he was uncomfortable with the Coulibaly question possibly because he is still contracted till the end of May.

For whatever reason they didn’t get on but I’m sure there are 2 sides to the story, and slightly in defence of Coulibaly since he’s getting slaughtered a bit , he turned up at the sponsors night having just got back from Dundee Utd after getting beat 8 nil in the reserves with the kids.

He didn’t have to do that and took part in the night which a lot of the other senior players looked as if it was a chore ( Bannigan , Harkins, Anderson etc )

Undoubtedly there is a talent there in Coulibaly and with the pedigree that he has you don’t lose that at his age we just didn’t get to see it .

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

So why did Gerry Britton agree with the manager last night about Coulliabys attitude and why have some of the players said his attitude was shocking too

I think Caldwell was absolutely right in Coulibally - the guy was clearly a roaster. 

But do you really think Gerry Britton would have contradicted/disagreed with his manager in front of 250 fans if that wasn’t the case? Weird point to make. 

11 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I think Caldwell was absolutely right in Coulibally - the guy was clearly a roaster. 

But do you really think Gerry Britton would have contradicted/disagreed with his manager in front of 250 fans if that wasn’t the case? Weird point to make. 

I’ve got friends who work for Kilmarnock and they’ll paint a totally different picture of Coulibally , don’t think Caldwell would have been the easiest manager to work for ,you  can’t treat every player exactly the same , some need a kick up the backside , others need to see a manager has belief in them to get the best out of them and give them confidence , got the impression last night it was either Gary’s way or no way 

6 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I’ve got friends who work for Kilmarnock and they’ll paint a totally different picture of Coulibally , don’t think Caldwell would have been the easiest manager to work for ,you  can’t treat every player exactly the same , some need a kick up the backside , others need to see a manager has belief in them to get the best out of them and give them confidence , got the impression last night it was either Gary’s way or no way 

He presumably had some problems with the staff at the Egyptian club too - though not sure what the full story was there

christie elliot didn’t think highly of him at Firhill for one anyway 

Edited by Third Lanark

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He presumably had some problems with the staff at the Egyptian club too - though not sure what the full story was there

christie elliot didn’t think highly of him at Firhill for one anyway 

Don’t think Spittal or Joe Cardle will resign either, 

I don’t think it’s really fair to ask a manager to go into great detail on why he’s not playing someone as you end up in ‘ he said, he said’ and doesn’t necessarily take you forward.....not sure this is helpful....we were not present at training or in discussions so will never know all the facts...yet some here just use it the beat the manager with which is poor.

caldwells point about a player of 4 seasons ago not necessarily being the same player today is a good one 

Having seen Coulibaly play for the reserves on numerous occasions I don't think we really missed out on much. He didn't necessarily look unfit but he always had the benefit of other forwards doing the hard running. Surprisingly maybe given Caldwell's comments Coulibaly didn't look like a player just going thru the motions and appeared to take playing for the reserves reasonably seriously. That was still evident as recently as a couple of weeks ago at St Andrews. A complex character methinks.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

I don’t think it’s really fair to ask a manager to go into great detail on why he’s not playing someone as you end up in ‘ he said, he said’ and doesn’t necessarily take you forward.....not sure this is helpful....we were not present at training or in discussions so will never know all the facts...yet some here just use it the beat the manager with which is poor.

caldwells point about a player of 4 seasons ago not necessarily being the same player today is a good one 

Still got to break it down a bit , he’s only 24 years of age , he was frozen out of football for 2 years , also had a broken leg for part of the 4 years as well . There is definitely talent there, you don’t go from being voted the best player in the under 17 World Cup  7 years ago to being talentless in 6 years .

Played well at Kilmarnock, scored a lot of goals and looked a player and people within the game thought we had won a watch getting a player of his ability for nothing .

For whatever reason it didn’t work out and we didn’t manage to get the best out of him .

30 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Still got to break it down a bit , he’s only 24 years of age , he was frozen out of football for 2 years , also had a broken leg for part of the 4 years as well . There is definitely talent there, you don’t go from being voted the best player in the under 17 World Cup  7 years ago to being talentless in 6 years .

Played well at Kilmarnock, scored a lot of goals and looked a player and people within the game thought we had won a watch getting a player of his ability for nothing .

For whatever reason it didn’t work out and we didn’t manage to get the best out of him .

It could be a season at Kilmarnock will be the highlight of his career ....time will tell 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

It could be a season at Kilmarnock will be the highlight of his career ....time will tell 

I would maybe take the best player at a World Cup , something there Kilmarnock fans saying they would take him back in a minute 

Agreed time will tell