Souleymane Coulibaly

douglas clark

He scored some cracking goals for Kilmarnock and it is a pity that things did not work out for him at Firhill.

Killie supporting friends of mine could not believe the money that they received for him but reckon that he was more of an individual rather than a team player.

I would have hoped that if he had shown any kind of potential in training or for the reserves that he would have been given a chance. The fact that he was not, coupled with  the previous issues in Egypt, seem to indicate deeper issues rather than a fall out with the manager.

However, all that is now irrelevant. Time alone will tell if we have made the correct decision not to have played him regularly.

18 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

One confused gentleman.

Very.

Two excerpts from two articles to follow. The first is from the Planet Football piece:

"He has told me many times I am going to play and that he needs me, but nothing changes. When I ask him he says I am not ready and he just keeps giving me excuses.

"Every manager I have played for I’ve had a good relationship with..."

The second is from a piece in the Record highlighting his issues in Egypt:

He's yet to play a single minute for the Egyptian champions amid concerns about his fitness and state of mind.

Egyptian press have revealed he reportedly burst into tears in front of his team-mates when he learned he wasn't in a match day squad again.

The striker himself posted a message on his Twitter account which seems to shed light on his current feelings at Al Ahly.

Al Ahly general manager Hossam Al-Badri would only state: "The coaches have decided that Coulibaly is not ready for the first team yet.

"He is not at the required technical or physical level."

Of all the things to bash Caldwell for I really just don’t think this is one of them. Coulibaly is clearly a bit of a chancer and - as stated elsewhere - his Twitter output is reeking of insincerity/shows signs of him being a total cowboy. 

We were in some pretty dire straits last season and he barely got a sniff. As much as I don’t really rate Caldwell, if he felt he could bring something to the team he’d have been in there. 

• Like 2

Even if Coulibaly could've contributed it would be some stretch of the imagination to believe that contribution would result in enough points to make 4th place. He was only available off the bench from late October and I seem to mind he was injured for a spell after that as well. So the could ofs and the should ofs are rather academic. 

I'm all for a manager making a wild card signing but two out and out wild cards in Coulibaly AND Storer was too much a gamble. Some might feel that Caldwell has already played his wild card when he signed Harkins.

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Hopefully Caldwell will give him a bit  more game time , definitely makes a difference 

He was carrying an injury I think? Hopefully fully fit for the coming season. Need as much creativity through the side as possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebiglemon said:

You used to be able to block people on here. Can you still do it?

Yes, though it’s unfortunately not very effective because you still see the roasters’ posts when someone else quotes them. Ahem...

Click the three horizontal lines at top of the screen, then go to “account”, then go to “ignored users”.

Edited by marcia blaine

19 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

Those excerpts suggest a mental health issue - best avoided, as every other club did.

Read both articles, not really sure where you get that conclusion from ? , because he’s not as fit as he could be ?

Plenty players go abroad and can’t cut it Kenny Miller , Kris Boyd and Allan McGregor are some of the more recent examples . Not sure that makes the player mentally unstable?

I think there is a player in there , he’s only 24 years old so not sure you can write a player off at that age .

On 5/20/2019 at 7:38 PM, KemoAvdiu said:

No they don't.

And aside from that, your post seems to suggest we should avoid players with mental health issues. Really? 

We've had more than our fill of unfit players, and managerial shortcomings to boot.  Adding to the numbers of unfit players would not help.

Your comment, " Coulibaly is clearly a bit of a chancer and...his Twitter output is reeking of insincerity/shows signs of him being a total cowboy," seems intolerant and dismissive, but it's worth considering he also ran away from his previous club, which doesn't look stable. At any rate, our current manager didn't consider him fit to play.

By contrast, jlsarmy's comment, " not sure you can write a player off at that age [24]" doesn't seem justifiable, in the light of what the club or the team needs, but the manager has the say.

19 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

We've had more than our fill of unfit players, and managerial shortcomings to boot.  Adding to the numbers of unfit players would not help.

Your comment, " Coulibaly is clearly a bit of a chancer and...his Twitter output is reeking of insincerity/shows signs of him being a total cowboy," seems intolerant and dismissive, but it's worth considering he also ran away from his previous club, which doesn't look stable. At any rate, our current manager didn't consider him fit to play.

By contrast, jlsarmy's comment, " not sure you can write a player off at that age [24]" doesn't seem justifiable, in the light of what the club or the team needs, but the manager has the say.

There’s literally no evidence that he has mental health issues and it’s pathetic/offensive to speculate that he does. I’m afraid you’re talking drivel. 

And, to confirm, you believe we should avoid players who may have mental health issues like depression? What a horrible wee attitude that is.