Souleymane Coulibaly

douglas clark

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

We’ll never know if he was a busted flush or not , he was always going to find it hard to get a team because of the circumstances 

But why did a scottish team not come in for him now after he left us? Presumably his transfer woes are behind him if he signed a 4 year deal in Tunisia.....

14 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

But why did a scottish team not come in for him now after he left us? Presumably his transfer woes are behind him if he signed a 4 year deal in Tunisia.....

Because presumably someone might have been chasing them for money?

28 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Going back how would Caldwell have dealt with a Chic Charnley or an Alan Dinnie .

Different times I know

He doesn’t have to deal with them as they are in the past so not sure of the relevance. It’s a bit bizarre if this is the latest thing to attack him with - how he may or may not have dealt with 2 players from the past

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

He got 82 mins all season, is that enough time to prove yourself?

Much as I have been a critic of Caldwell, to be scrupulously honest in retrospect Coulibaly did rather well to get 82 minutes (which I didn't realise he had) based on his performance in the reserves.

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

If the FIFA fine of $1,400,000 isn't paid by the 24th of June, he'll be banned from all football related activities. That might explain why other teams aren't falling over themselves to sign him!

3 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Much as I have been a critic of Caldwell, to be scrupulously honest in retrospect Coulibaly did rather well to get 82 minutes (which I didn't realise he had) based on his performance in the reserves.

We’re a fickle bunch , was a good player two years prior to being frozen out of football, can’t remember anyone saying he was a bad signing when he came to us , young player of 24 should have got back to a good level with us , for whatever reason it didn’t happen.

8 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

For goodness sake , most of the time I watched him he was playing with 16 and 17 yr olds that were totally out their depth . Hence the reason we we’re getting gubbed 8 and 9 nil .

Did you go to a lot of the reserve games ?

I watched my nephew play in a lot of the reserve games , it was a total shambles 

I've seen a good number of 'players' wearing the Thistle jersey that just didn't appear to have any heart or sole for the strip or their team mates.  Caldwell has shown that he'll hook any player that doesn't show the required attitude, regardless of the number of gongs or accolades (and most of the culprits had none) they had from the past.  

That's the individual quality that I'd like to see from those privileged enough to be wearing the red and yellow and three o'clock on a Saturday (or five past seven on Monday).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

We’re a fickle bunch , was a good player two years prior to being frozen out of football, can’t remember anyone saying he was a bad signing when he came to us , young player of 24 should have got back to a good level with us , for whatever reason it didn’t happen.

All thistle fans were delighted with the signing. It now looks like the guy was on a downward slide for a number of reasons. It was worth a punt. It didn't pay off. To try and paint it as a Caldwell negative is plainly ludicrous and indeed....fickle.

• Like 1

Caldwell didn’t sign him....Archie did but never played him

one of Caldwell’s points which I like is that he meets every player before we sign them which is a big thing of klopps  .....if Archie had done that this season might have been different....

coullibally was a hopeful signing which didn’t work out to blame Caldwell for that is ridiculous the guy clearly comes with baggage and in retrospect shouldn’t have been signed 

move on 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Caldwell didn’t sign him....Archie did but never played him

one of Caldwell’s points which I like is that he meets every player before we sign them which is a big thing of klopps  .....if Archie had done that this season might have been different....

coullibally was a hopeful signing which didn’t work out to blame Caldwell for that is ridiculous the guy clearly comes with baggage and in retrospect shouldn’t have been signed 

move on 

Gary Caldwell is a man of many contrasts , take the signing of Gary Harkins, the story goes Brian Kerr played with Harkins at Dundee 10 yrs ago and remembered he was a decent player, if they had done their homework and actually watched the player recently they would have seen his best days were behind him , hence the reason QOS , Morton and Ayr all freed him

The nonsense Caldwell spouts about meeting players etc at our level is complete bullshit , most players playing in the Championship are only looking to get a reasonable wage to live on , the trouble with Caldwell he is pretending to be a Klopp or a Mourinho ( he isn’t ) , Klopp and Mourinho meet their player targets to see if they’ve still got the hunger to succeed because the majority of them are financially secure .

Caldwell has only made 1 other permanent signing apart from Harkins last season which was Steven Saunders who ended up being on the bench the latter part of the season.

This transfer window will define Gary Caldwell and we’ll actually see if he can back up all his  talk and create something for our Club to be proud of .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Gary Caldwell is a man of many contrasts , take the signing of Gary Harkins, the story goes Brian Kerr played with Harkins at Dundee 10 yrs ago and remembered he was a decent player, if they had done their homework and actually watched the player recently they would have seen his best days were behind him , hence the reason QOS , Morton and Ayr all freed him

The nonsense Caldwell spouts about meeting players etc at our level is complete bullshit , most players playing in the Championship are only looking to get a reasonable wage to live on , the trouble with Caldwell he is pretending to be a Klopp or a Mourinho ( he isn’t ) , Klopp and Mourinho meet their player targets to see if they’ve still got the hunger to succeed because the majority of them are financially secure .

Caldwell has only made 1 other permanent signing apart from Harkins last season which was Steven Saunders who ended up being on the bench the latter part of the season,the rest have been short term fixes though I’m glad Joe Cardle has resigned for next season.

This transfer window will define Gary Caldwell and we’ll actually see if he can back up all his  talk and create something for our Club to be proud of .

50 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Caldwell has only made 1 other permanent signing apart from Harkins last season which was Steven Saunders who ended up being on the bench the latter part of the season.

‘....the story goes.....’.......

you just hate Caldwell .....simples 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Gary Caldwell is a man of many contrasts , take the signing of Gary Harkins, the story goes Brian Kerr played with Harkins at Dundee 10 yrs ago and remembered he was a decent player, if they had done their homework and actually watched the player recently they would have seen his best days were behind him , hence the reason QOS , Morton and Ayr all freed him.

Seriously... The story goes? And then you accuse Caldwell of spouting nonsense?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allyo said:

Seriously... The story goes? And then you accuse Caldwell of spouting nonsense?

What part was nonsense? , went to the “ Meet the Manager “ night and Caldwell tells us how diligently they do checks to sign players, obviously Gary Harkins is an exception to that rule.

Tells us that Doolan who didn’t play well last season hadn’t done enough to merit a contract even though the team  was abysmal for most of the season, same thing with Coulibaye never got a chance to prove he could do it at PTFC , think we were told he had scored goals a long time ago 

Yet he makes an exception for Harkins who was a good player 10 years ago , surely there has to be a balance there .

What part was nonsense? , went to the “ Meet the Manager “ night and Caldwell tells us how diligently they do checks to sign players, obviously Gary Harkins is an exception to that rule.

Tells us that Doolan who didn’t play well last season hadn’t done enough to merit a contract even though the team  was abysmal for most of the season, same thing with Coulibaye never got a chance to prove he could do it at PTFC , think we were told he had scored goals a long time ago 

Yet he makes an exception for Harkins who was a good player 10 years ago , surely there has to be a balance there .

Spot on. Balance of critiscm would be welcome.

Harkins is an exceptiin because you chose to make him one !.....coulibaye has issues you again chose to ignore .....you hate Caldwell we know 

...the story goes... that Harkins wasn't freed by Queens but asked to be released as his heart wasn't in it there.  Whatever you think of his age and ability his heart must be in it now  to want to come back to Firhill to battle relegation in a cauldron of hostility and negativity.

As Brian Kerr played with him the management team were already aware of his character but I wasn't aware of the 'story going' that Gary had not met him before he signed.

Any manager looking for a talented, committed, professional and highly experienced (Scottish) midfielder, up for a relegation scrap (or any scrap) would have Gary Harkins at the top of their list.  If your looking for the next young thing with a tiger in the tank and energy to burn, that might be Fitzpatrick or even Mansell.

As the story goes, you need horses for courses...

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

The part that was probably nonsense was that all Gary Caldwell knew about Gary Harkins was that he was a good player 10 years ago when he played with Brian Kerr. I obviously don't know for sure. It's just have this suspicion that this was not main the basis of his signing.

Personally I think we got points this season that we wouldn't have got without Gary Harkins. I'm not sure we'd have beaten Alloa, and that was probably the most important result of our season. But it's all about opinions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

@Thistleberight was it not you that posted something about a player at the club mentiong Coulibaly’s attuide and saying how bad a player he was. Apologies if it wasn’t you.

Sorry That 1 jags fan, not I.

9 hours ago, javeajag said:

‘....the story goes.....’.......

you just hate Caldwell .....simples 

Not true, just I don’t believe everything he puts out there , the back stories of Doolan and Erskine are good examples if you look into it deeper.

On 5/27/2019 at 4:51 PM, dl1971 said:

All thistle fans were delighted with the signing. It now looks like the guy was on a downward slide for a number of reasons. It was worth a punt. It didn't pay off. To try and paint it as a Caldwell negative is plainly ludicrous and indeed....fickle.

I wasn't delighted.  I was rather dubious.  About whether he'd be able to play (as it turned out he did but only after some length of time), about how fit he'd be and about his attitude.  I wasn't definite about any of these things but they certainly worried me.  Even at the time it seemed something someone/some folk on the board decided to do, not the manager (though he went along with it).   It also seemed chasing him was a bit of a distraction from getting a properly balanced squad which we never achieved until January.  That said all that had nothing to do with Caldwell and it's daft to blame him for it.

Edited by Mr Bunny