Souleymane Coulibaly

douglas clark

19 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

For what it's worth, I saw Coulibaly a number of times in the reserves; even at that level (paying against 16-17 year olds)  he was distinctly underwhelming. He wouldn't have been  one of the first names out of the hat, for the reserves, far less for the first eleven.

Saw him as well in the reserves and he was totally underwhelming but usually he was playing with the kids rather than experienced players.

Usually find when first team players play in the reserves it’s to get fitness , they usually go through the motions .

Bottom line is Gary Caldwell couldn’t manage Souleymane Coulibaye for whatever reason , rather than the ability of the player.

22 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

For what it's worth, I saw Coulibaly a number of times in the reserves; even at that level (paying against 16-17 year olds)  he was distinctly underwhelming. He wouldn't have been  one of the first names out of the hat, for the reserves, far less for the first eleven.

Too true. You could see traces of his ability and positional awareness. Unfortunately that positional awareness didn't relate to much of area.

Here's more re his next venture. Didn't realise that Danny Baker and Nick Clegg were into North African football https://www.kingfut.com/2019/05/26/etoile-coulibaly-al-ahly-player-future/

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Saw him as well in the reserves and he was totally underwhelming but usually he was playing with the kids rather than experienced players.

Usually find when first team players play in the reserves it’s to get fitness , they usually go through the motions .

Bottom line is Gary Caldwell couldn’t manage Souleymane Coulibaye for whatever reason , rather than the ability of the player.

Bottom line is Coulliaby has previous for being a problem at a club and you seem keen to blame Caldwell for everything 

3 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Coulibaly was unfit and had an attitude problem.  His spell at Kilmarnock really was an aberration. 

Golden boot winner at a World Cup ?

Was that an aberration, should have been given a chance , if he didn’t cut it fair enough, but he played at a much higher level in Scotland and did fine .

When you manage football players, you do exactly that , maybe work them harder on the training ground or maybe change their attitude to things , motivation techniques, every player is different and that’s where a good manager comes in . Even in his short spell abroad he scored 6 in 12 games , he’s not the first player not to have settled in a different country with a different culture.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Bottom line is Coulliaby has previous for being a problem at a club and you seem keen to blame Caldwell for everything 

We don’t know the full facts on his spell in Egypt 

I take it you’ve got all the facts ?

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Golden boot winner at a World Cup ?

A golden boot winner at an U-17 World Championship eight years ago...

Dig out the article I posted recently...

'concerns about his fitness and state of mind'

"not at the required...physical level"

He brought that baggage with him to Thistle. 

And he *was* given a chance - he wasn't binned with Mutombo, Storer, Ntambwe, etc - and didn't take it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

And he *was* given a chance - he wasn't binned with Mutombo, Storer, Ntambwe, etc - and didn't take it.

No they played, he wasn’t given enough time on the pitch, one rule for some and not others , you really telling me Harkins is fit ? for example 

32 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Where can I find that article or is it your article?

6 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

No they played, he wasn’t given enough time on the pitch, one rule for some and not others , you really telling me Harkins is fit ? for example 

Check the stats. Coulibaly got more game time under Caldwell than Storer. A little less than Mutombo and Ntambwe, but he was given more time to prove himself than both of them and didn't.

Edited by Dark Passenger

6 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Check the stats. Coulibaly got more game time under Caldwell than Storer. A little less than Mutombo and Ntambwe, but he was given more time to prove himself than both of them and didn't.

He got 82 mins all season, is that enough time to prove yourself?

25 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not one of us had said we are impressed with Harkins fitness don’t know the link to Coulliaby other than another year hate Caldwell post

2 minutes ago, That 1 jags fan said:

The meet the manager night episode 4 if you don’t want to go through articles.

Do you know what , I was at Dools race night and the people , players , sponsors etc are a lot more believable than Gary Caldwell in how he does things . Think it’s the persona he wants to put out there, the reality in my opinion is totally different.

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Not one of us had said we are impressed with Harkins fitness don’t know the link to Coulliaby other than another year hate Caldwell post

Coulibaye’s fitness was mentioned as a reason he didn’t get game time ,can you tell me as a comparison the fitness level of Harkins and he seems to be involved most weeks .

10 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Coulibaye’s fitness was mentioned as a reason he didn’t get game time ,can you tell me as a comparison the fitness level of Harkins and he seems to be involved most weeks .

I haven’t seen a poster who thinks Harkins fitness is acceptable. I’m presuming Harkins didn’t turn up late for training etc or maybe have an attitude problem.

I wouldn’t have kept Harkins on tbh either and think this was a poor signing 

If he was that good why did he fail miserably in the reserves as a few have pointed out? If he was using it as his own personal training regime clearly his attitude was all wrong. Additionally if he was that good why did no SPL team go for him? Clearly he was a busted flush. 

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I haven’t seen a poster who thinks Harkins fitness is acceptable. I’m presuming Harkins didn’t turn up late for training etc or maybe have an attitude problem.

I wouldn’t have kept Harkins on tbh either and think this was a poor signing 

Going back how would Caldwell have dealt with a Chic Charnley or an Alan Dinnie .

Different times I know

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

If he was that good why did he fail miserably in the reserves as a few have pointed out? If he was using it as his own personal training regime clearly his attitude was all wrong. Additionally if he was that good why did no SPL team go for him? Clearly he was a busted flush. 

We’ll never know if he was a busted flush or not , he was always going to find it hard to get a team because of the circumstances