With The Jags in Sweden 1972

CCjag

Some hardy/lucky supporters followed the Jags on a pre-season tour of Sweden in July 1972.

This is a link to a digitised copy of the 8 mm silent film which I took - and then lost in the late seventies.

It re-emerged earlier this year and the acetate film had suffered from both age and far from ideal storage conditions, but I've recovered it to the best of my limited cinematographic abilities.

It is, however, a memento of what was then a big adventure for those of us who travelled (for that reason you need to suffer some touristy bits), but there are lots of shots of famous Jags, on and off the pitch and I hope it might be of some interest to fellow Jags!

(NB The film is silent but an "appropriate" soundtrack has been added so make sure you have the volume up! I should also add that my camera had a curious fault, it only recorded when Thistle were attacking!)

Edited by CCjag
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CCjag said:

12 disciples followed the Jags on a pre-season tour of Sweden in July 1972.

This is a link to a digitised copy of the 8 mm film silent which I took - and then lost in the late seventies.

It re-emerged earlier this year and the acetate film had suffered from both age and far from ideal storage conditions, but I've recovered it to the best of my limited cinematographic abilities.

It is, however, a memento of what was then a big adventure for those of us who travelled (for that reason you need to suffer some touristy bits) and there are lots of shots of famous Jags, on and off the pitch and I hope it might be of some interest to fellow Jags!

(NB The film is silent but an "appropriate" soundtrack has been added so make sure you have the volume up! I should also add that my camera had a curious fault, it only recorded when Thistle were attacking!)

Is it Ok to share this in the Old Partick Thistle Pictures facebook group ?

7 hours ago, CCjag said:

This is a link to a digitised copy of the 8 mm film silent which I took - and then lost in the late seventies.

It is, however, a memento of what was then a big adventure for those of us who travelled (for that reason you need to suffer some touristy bits) and there are lots of shots of famous Jags, on and off the pitch and I hope it might be of some interest to fellow Jags!

Out of likes,really good watch,thanks for that.

Jim Mullen was indeed there.

As were, Donnie McDowell, Nobby Clark, Tommy (later Strathclyde Regional Councillor) Rae,  Charlie Smith (of Falkirk High School fame - if that doesn't make any sense to you, ask a Jags fan in his/her 60's) and Alfie Stamp - a winger of such bizarre eccentricity that he made Denis McQuade look boringly predictable!

And others too numerous to mention.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:52 AM, CCjag said:

This is a link to a digitised copy of the 8 mm silent film which I took - and then lost in the late seventies.

It is, however, a memento of what was then a big adventure for those of us who travelled (for that reason you need to suffer some touristy bits), but there are lots of shots of famous Jags, on and off the pitch and I hope it might be of some interest to fellow Jags!

Re 12 disciples - I went with 3 friends(by car and 3 boats). Only 1 driver all the way there and back. Please increase to 16.

• Like 1

I thought twelve was the total, I knew not everyone went by air but couldn't remember the split.

Apologies if that impression was given.

Were you in the camper van shown in the film, or was it literally a car?

I remember that we were also joined by a few exiled Scots. 

Edited by CCjag

Updated intro to reflect new information from QXBoy.

The ? after Dolomite is due to the Net suggesting that it didn't come into production until October 1972, so maybe it was a Triumph Herald........even less space!!

The Director's Cut (inclusive of corrections) will be uploaded today.

This was before my time as a Jags fan. But hats off CCJag; stuff like this is historical gold. 

I just wish the Club has a permanent physical home for archive material, signed shirts, programmes and other Thistle emphemera. I know there is the Boardroom cabinet, but it’s not big enough.

A project for Robert Reid? ;)

1 hour ago, sandy said:

This was before my time as a Jags fan. But hats off CCJag; stuff like this is historical gold. 

I just wish the Club has a permanent physical home for archive material, signed shirts, programmes and other Thistle emphemera. I know there is the Boardroom cabinet, but it’s not big enough.

A project for Robert Reid? ;)

I agree re the archive Sandy, and preferably one that is accessible and not just locked away somewhere in the bowels of Firhill.

Robert, however, has a much more important project to concentrate on just now as he seeks to recover from two major operations!

25 minutes ago, CCjag said:

I agree re the archive Sandy, and preferably one that is accessible and not just locked away somewhere in the bowels of Firhill.

Robert, however, has a much more important project to concentrate on just now as he seeks to recover from two major operations!

Ah, I didn’t know; hope he is ok?

Two hip replacements over the autumn/winter I believe

A bit daunting for anyone of Robert's vintage.

He is, I gather, stuck at home going stir crazy - especially on Saturdays - but, hopefully, will return to the fold after a late fitness test.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CCjag said:

Two hip replacements over the autumn/winter I believe

A bit daunting for anyone of Robert's vintage.

He is, I gather, stuck at home going stir crazy - especially on Saturdays - but, hopefully, will return to the fold after a late fitness test.

Despite the fact that he once assaulted me with a long strip of pronged leather, I wish him a speedy recovery and a quick return to Firhill.