County 13/04

BalornockJag

21 minutes ago, BalornockJag said:

First things first getting the date right for this game :lol: driving up to this game on Saturday never been before just wondering where to park if anyone has an idea? Onto the game itself needing a good result here getting really close to squeaky bum time 

I'm hoping to go too . On holiday visiting family in north uist. Ferry at 0730 so no excuse for not getting there. Not told the mrs yet so you never know:party:

There's parking at the ground. Never had any issues leaving and it was only 2 quid. Also usually plenty parking as you go over the railway bridge. Or any where on the square. There's not usually any great trouble getting away from the ground wherever you park. 

2 hours ago, Big Col said:

I used to park in a car park that was off the main road through Dingwall, behind the Main Street - free to park - although that might have changed these days. Public toilets as well. 10 minute leisurely stroll to the ground.

I am sure that's where I parked last year for the awful 0-4 game. Was free of charge then and quite good for a quick getaway on to the main road south, away from the queue of cars coming back over the railway bridge. Having said that, going over the bridge before the game and going straight on gets you closer to the ground and gives plenty of good parking space even though there are now more yellow lines than there were before, and the queue takes only 10 minutes to clear. On principle I try to avoid paying home teams for parking. Have driven far enough to get there, and I am paying for the game anyway.

Bit of a team selection problems for this game. Do we keep the narrow 5-3-2 to play both Doolan and McDonald buts it’s still defensive or do we go with a more attacking 4-4-2 to also wingers in our game, or go with a 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 as we have played a lot this season, there is also questions of will Elloit be back and who will replace Banzo.

I would like to see Cardle in the team as a straight Banzo replacement. Stick with a 4-3-2-1 with Doolan playing just behind McDonald. Main thing is attitude and playing the pressing game IMO, that and don't wait till the last 15 minutes to bring on Aiden.

If they start the game as well as the home game against RC in February they could get a result, conversely, if they start with the same formation and attitude at the Dunfermline game we will get played off the park.

12 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I would like to see Cardle in the team as a straight Banzo replacement. Stick with a 4-3-2-1 with Doolan playing just behind McDonald. Main thing is attitude and playing the pressing game IMO, that and don't wait till the last 15 minutes to bring on Aiden.

If they start the game as well as the home game against RC in February they could get a result, conversely, if they start with the same formation and attitude at the Dunfermline game we will get played off the park.

Going by a Caldwell quote from months ago if both Banzo and Slater are not available, he prefers to play narrow as there's not enough mobility in midfield. Well if you substitute Gordon for Slater (similar mobility) and with Bannigan playing we've still been playing narrow. So much as I agree with most of what you say, Caldwell logic however would say we'll play with three centrebacks and wingbacks. Fitness issues with Elliott and Saunders could of course scupper all that.

Problems as I see it is the centrebacks don't get forward enough and often the wingbacks play more like full backs. Any team, most certainly the better ones, are invited to run thu our depleted midfield and that's when Banzo is playing. My guess is we'll go with a sort of 3-5-1-1 with Slater coming in for Bannigan. I also think he'll drop Doolan for a runaround (eg Mansell or Storey) to play support to McDonald. McMillan wasn't bad covering for Christie but if we are going three at the back we need him there just because Jack's a mind to get forward now and again.

Btw don't get your reference to Cardle being a straight replacement for Bannigan. Joe's mainly effective playing down the left and cutting in on his right besides I doubt he's got Banzo's stamina.

36 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Going by a Caldwell quote from months ago if both Banzo and Slater are not available, he prefers to play narrow as there's not enough mobility in midfield. Well if you substitute Gordon for Slater (similar mobility) and with Bannigan playing we've still been playing narrow. So much as I agree with most of what you say, Caldwell logic however would say we'll play with three centrebacks and wingbacks. Fitness issues with Elliott and Saunders could of course scupper all that.

Problems as I see it is the centrebacks don't get forward enough and often the wingbacks play more like full backs. Any team, most certainly the better ones, are invited to run thu our depleted midfield and that's when Banzo is playing. My guess is we'll go with a sort of 3-5-1-1 with Slater coming in for Bannigan. I also think he'll drop Doolan for a runaround (eg Mansell or Storey) to play support to McDonald. McMillan wasn't bad covering for Christie but if we are going three at the back we need him there just because Jack's a mind to get forward now and again.

Btw don't get your reference to Cardle being a straight replacement for Bannigan. Joe's mainly effective playing down the left and cutting in on his right besides I doubt he's got Banzo's stamina.

Your assessment is more thorough and probably more accurate than mine, but my feeling is GC will want to start with a similar team than the one that finished the Dunfermline match. I think we have the players to beat RC, but what may be more important is attitude and effort [and a bit of luck] ….. get that right we should be a match them. 

I think Ross County will be up for this match, we were the two teams relegated last season, and the RC support and players appear to enjoy reminding us of the gulf between the two teams this season , I expect a hard match

This is one of the games were the 3-5-2 should help us. County are one of the few teams in the league likely to dominate possession against us and being away from home I would expect us to spend most of the game in our own half which should mean our back line can't drop any deeper.

If Dundee United slip up on Friday then County have the opportunity to win the league against us which sometimes brings extra pressure. We should really try to play to frustrate county, get the crowd on their back and try to nick one on the break.

50 minutes ago, laukat said:

This is one of the games were the 3-5-2 should help us. County are one of the few teams in the league likely to dominate possession against us and being away from home I would expect us to spend most of the game in our own half which should mean our back line can't drop any deeper.

If Dundee United slip up on Friday then County have the opportunity to win the league against us which sometimes brings extra pressure. We should really try to play to frustrate county, get the crowd on their back and try to nick one on the break.

agree completely

12 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Don't see us getting anything up here. Our midfield is just one big hole which our defence obviously find it difficult to deal with, hence it looks like they are guff. And with probably Harkins replacing Bannigan , God help us.

You’re right , but if Caldwell decided to ditch his preferred way of setting us up 5 at the back with none of the Centre halves moving into a midfield role at different points in the game we might have a better chance in matching up with teams in the middle of the park .

Play a  4 4 1 1 and play to our attacking strengths instead of sitting back and hope to hit teams on the break .

Got to go for it and win games with only 5 games to go .

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Don't see us getting anything up here. Our midfield is just one big hole which our defence obviously find it difficult to deal with, hence it looks like they are guff. And with probably Harkins replacing Bannigan , God help us.

I just don't see a place for Harkins in the Thistle set-up, or to be honest any team I have seen playing in the Championship in the second half of this season. His skills when he has the ball [normally in the warm-up] are lovely to watch, but he is simply too slow of foot to play in the type of football played in this league. The only way I see us getting an 8th or 9th positions is we either pressure the opposition by playing pressure football in the face of the opposition, or we defend on-mass and rely on 'route one' football tactics. I don't see Harkins being effective in either of those scenarios as they both require the midfield to be very, very mobile.

Perhaps one thing in our favour is the 2-4 result was described by our players as being 'an embarrassment', maybe because of that bad experience there will be a certain edge to their game?

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo

12 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I just don't see a place for Harkins in the Thistle set-up, or to be honest any team I have seen playing in the Championship in the second half of this season. His skills when he has the ball [normally in the warm-up] are lovely to watch, but he is simply too slow of foot to play in the type of football played in this league. The only way I see us getting an 8th or 9th positions is we either pressure the opposition by playing pressure football in the face of the opposition, or we defend on-mass and rely on 'route one' football tactics. I don't see Harkins being effective in either of those scenarios as they both require the midfield to be very, very mobile.

Perhaps one thing in our favour is the 2-4 result was described by our players as being 'an embarrassment', maybe because of that bad experience there will be a certain edge to their game?

The whole of this season is an embarrassment.I know some of the players have only been at Firhill since January. But any player who has been at Firhill since the start of the season should be embarrassed  and Caldwell should be as well.

Don't see him playing both Scott Macdonald and Doolan up front together. He will want to play more of a pressing game I believe. 

Also likely to see a formation change as I believe County would be able to exploit the weakness in our 3 at the back too easily. 

No hints to whether Elliot, Saunders and Jack McMillan will make it on Jagszone other than we have a few niggles.

If both Elliot and McMillan are unavailable that will cause problems with the right-back slot. 

12 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Don't see him playing both Scott Macdonald and Doolan up front together. He will want to play more of a pressing game I believe. 

Also likely to see a formation change as I believe County would be able to exploit the weakness in our 3 at the back too easily. 

No hints to whether Elliot, Saunders and Jack McMillan will make it on Jagszone other than we have a few niggles.

If both Elliot and McMillan are unavailable that will cause problems with the right-back slot. 

If all three are out we've a real problem. If one of the three is fit it's manageable tho Saunders at right back wouldn't be ideal. County know him well and he's evidently not been very good when played there by them. I would expect a formation change for the reason you give but personnel available may well dictate how we set up. I've got this worrying image in my heid of Storey lining up in the right wingback slot!