County 13/04

BalornockJag

9 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

You are arguing against the facts - we were clear of the relegation zone when Archie was sacked. 

This. Javeajag’s logic is getting itself tied in knots trying to show GC has improved things. He sold himself at interview on knowing how each players he inherited could be improved. He has failed. And he has failed with his own signings such as Harkins.

Thistle need a change of manager.

15 minutes ago, sandy said:

This. Javeajag’s logic is getting itself tied in knots trying to show GC has improved things. He sold himself at interview on knowing how each players he inherited could be improved. He has failed. And he has failed with his own signings such as Harkins.

This.

18 minutes ago, sandy said:

... and a f*****g change of board, a change of f*****g chief exec, a new f*******g team, new f******g strip as we've lost more games wearing this f*****g one, new f*****g fans as this lot are a moaning bunch of f******g b******s who are staying away from Firhill in droves, and while we're at it how's about a new f*****g stadium?

Rant over! :frantic:

Time to start thinking positively for the game against Alloa.

29 minutes ago, sandy said:

I actually think his signings bar Harkins have been good eg McDonald Anderson Saunders etc etc it’s his tactics he gets wrong who

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

I actually think his signings bar Harkins have been good eg McDonald Anderson Saunders etc etc it’s his tactics he gets wrong who

Yes some good signings, Skippy has been on fire. But tactics, and an early response to things not working in the first half.....are lacking.

Archie was sacked after  8 games - we had 9 points. He had gone before we played Alloa.  At that rate, we would have 36 points after 32  games...we have actually accumulated 34 points.

Of the 14 players who got on the park yesterday, 10  were in the squad for our first home League Game against Falkirk...O'Ware & Erskine who played against Falkirk would have improved the team as would Bannigan.  Archie's squad players - Scobie, Ntambwe, Jeffries - were absolute mince but I don't see any massive upgrading of the first choice team by Caldwell. Hazard does not look better than Bell or Sneddon; Harkins, Roy and Mansell have been pointless signings and the one game I have seen Anderson & Saunders they were, quite unbelievably, worse than Keown and McGinty. Former Thistle Players who would not be upgrades on our current squad are regulars in many of the other teams in a low standard League.

It was almost universally accepted on this Forum that Archie had to go, but any suggestion that our current predicament is anything other than overwhelmingly Caldwell's responsibility is frankly absurd. You can add his inexplicable team selections, embarrassing interviews and complete failure to connect with Thistle fans...the only improvement is that we are slightly better now than in Caldwell's first 3 months.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Archie was sacked after  8 games - we had 9 points. He had gone before we played Alloa.  At that rate, we would have 36 points after 32  games...we have actually accumulated 34 points.

Of the 14 players who got on the park yesterday, 10  were in the squad for our first home League Game against Falkirk...O'Ware & Erskine who played against Falkirk would have improved the team as would Bannigan.  Archie's squad players - Scobie, Ntambwe, Jeffries - were absolute mince but I don't see any massive upgrading of the first choice team by Caldwell. Hazard does not look better than Bell or Sneddon; Harkins, Roy and Mansell have been pointless signings and the one game I have seen Anderson & Saunders they were, quite unbelievably, worse than Keown and McGinty. Former Thistle Players who would not be upgrades on our current squad are regulars in many of the other teams in a low standard League.

It was almost universally accepted on this Forum that Archie had to go, but any suggestion that our current predicament is anything other than overwhelmingly Caldwell's responsibility is frankly absurd. You can add his inexplicable team selections, embarrassing interviews and complete failure to connect with Thistle fans...the only improvement is that we are slightly better now than in Caldwell's first 3 months.

Bell is considerably worse than sneddon and hazard- for a professional footballer his fitness like Harkins was shocking- he was causing us a goal a game and sadly like Harkins we are probably stuck with him next season 

i think Archie’s wins had an element of luck - we got a victory against Hartleys Falkirk- one of the worst bairns teams in their history. We had got a victory against a Morton team whose manager had been pinched the previous evening by Falkirk. The win against queen of the south was impressive despite bells near causing us the game. Anderson And Saunders are better defenders than keown and mcginty.

as I said it’s not Caldwell’s signings that have been the problem they are for the large part better than Archie’s it’s pretty much many other things he has got wrong 

25 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

as I said it’s not Caldwell’s signings that have been the problem they are for the large part better than Archie’s it’s pretty much many other things he has got wrong 

On top of that list would be the eight out of nine poor to completely unacceptable results leading up to the transfer window. 

10 hours ago, AndyMac said:

To say that I was far from impressed when Gary Caldwell was appointed, would be an understatement. His period in charge up to Christmas was (as far as results went) truly terrible. I was feeling so negative about the manager, club etc that I decided to stop posting, as I was only ever making negative contributions.

How do I feel now? I feel that Gary Caldwell and the team deserve great credit for getting us out of the tailspin we were in before Christmas. Yes, we may well be bottom of the league, but the form of Falkirk and Alloa has also vastly improved. I honestly thought that we would be stranded at the bottom by now.

Will we go down? I really don't know, which for me is an improvement, because a few months ago I would have said we were certainties for bottom spot.

We all need to bury the hatchet and pull together for the next few games.

I am in agreement with you but slightly worried about where some others might want to bury that hatchet!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I wonder if we had sneaked a win yesterday how much of the above posts would have flooded in? Small margins. It will be like this every single game. That game in hand IS vital also. 

Every game is vital. If not must win games,until we don't need to win them.

The time for judgement on Caldwell is the end of the season. However those that argue to retain Caldwell based on him being no worse/marginally better than Archie have, I believe a major flaw in their argument.

Archie's stint this season was nowhere near good enough. If its in any way questionable that Cadlwell is or isn't better than Archie then he is at best only marginally better than nowhere near good enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandy said:

There has been improvement the question will be whether it’s enough and we I’ll know shortly 

and perhaps after his interview - not that anyone ever stretches things in job interviews - he realised what an utter shambles of a squad Archie left and realised they weren’t good enough 

and for the record I’m personally neutral on Caldwell 

8A141AC4-5F25-4DE1-91FE-5B005B1FACF8.png

19 hours ago, West of Scotland said:

Aye it's the fans fault.

I've been watching the Jags since the early 60s: the toleration of not just mediocre, but abysmal, performance of the Board, the Manager and the players on the pretext of 'loyalty' is the root of all evil at Firhill. Always was, still is.

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

I wonder if we had sneaked a win yesterday how much of the above posts would have flooded in? Small margins. It will be like this every single game. That game in hand IS vital also. 

Or if Falkirk had lost.  One positive out of their win may be that Ayr won't have much to play for as now pretty much safe in the top 4.

10 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I've been watching the Jags since the early 60s: the toleration of not just mediocre, but abysmal, performance of the Board, the Manager and the players on the pretext of 'loyalty' is the root of all evil at Firhill. Always was, still is.

I only go back to the 80s but I couldnt be more in agreement. As a club we seem to accept second best for fear of getting bad press.

I have never understood why we as a club are happy with 5 seasons in the premier league when clubs like Motherwell (35 seasons) St Johnstone (9 seasons) Kilmarnock (26 seasons) and Hamilton (6 seasons) are able to not only survive longer but also have greater cup success annd sometimes european games. We have underperformed over a long time in comparission to the others.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

I only go back to the 80s but I couldnt be more in agreement. As a club we seem to accept second best for fear of getting bad press.

I have never understood why we as a club are happy with 5 seasons in the premier league when clubs like Motherwell (35 seasons) St Johnstone (9 seasons) Kilmarnock (26 seasons) and Hamilton (6 seasons) are able to not only survive longer but also have greater cup success annd sometimes european games. We have underperformed over a long time in comparission to the others.

I agree with this completely, a few nights ago John Robertson was interviewed about the forthcoming semi final tie with Hearts and the discussion digressed to a talk about the history and achievements of ICT in the last 25 years since their formation. It was depressing listening for a PTFC supporter to hear the list:- Challenge Cup finalist / winners, Various league winners and Scottish Cup winners, all achieved since 1994! 

I think it was Bob Reid who said PTFC do something special every 50 years …. well season 2021 better be a belter.

I don't mind being unpredictable, but I don't want mediocrity and I really don't want abject failure.

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

You’re right. If we won then this thread would be positive. But we didn’t win, so it isn’t.

Being bottom of the league isn’t down to small margins, it’s down to not winning enough football matches over the course of a season. Caldwell has been in charge for 27 matches. His failure hasn’t been one of small margins. 

6 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

You’re right. If we won then this thread would be positive. But we didn’t win, so it isn’t.

Being bottom of the league isn’t down to small margins, it’s down to not winning enough football matches over the course of a season. Caldwell has been in charge for 27 matches. His failure hasn’t been one of small margins. 

This, sadly. 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

There has been improvement the question will be whether it’s enough and we I’ll know shortly 

and perhaps after his interview - not that anyone ever stretches things in job interviews - he realised what an utter shambles of a squad Archie left and realised they weren’t good enough 

and for the record I’m personally neutral on Caldwell 

An improvement to what?

The form guide matters not a jot, it’s the league table that counts. We have dropped two places since October.  Right now we are in the poo if we don’t beat Alloa on Saturday. 

I don’t think I can face the idea of the Bunnet bringing part-timers Arbroath up if we go the other direction. 

27 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I agree with this completely, a few nights ago John Robertson was interviewed about the forthcoming semi final tie with Hearts and the discussion digressed to a talk about the history and achievements of ICT in the last 25 years since their formation. It was depressing listening for a PTFC supporter to hear the list:- Challenge Cup finalist / winners, Various league winners and Scottish Cup winners, all achieved since 1994! 

I think it was Bob Reid who said PTFC do something special every 50 years …. well season 2021 better be a belter.

I don't mind being unpredictable, but I don't want mediocrity and I really don't want abject failure.

Did he say if its every consecutive 50 years? I've been a thistle fan for 40 years and the peak of what I've seen is a top 6 finish and a cup semi-final. If we get relegated this season I'll have seen as many relegations to the third tier as I've seen promotions to top tier. I'm long overdue a cup final or a proper european game.

6 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

Agree completely.

Add in that as a former centre half of some note, out defence remains a complete shambles at times, in every game, which seems to always result in goals against. I saw o'hare several times at Morton and for us and he looks genuine quality, and young. So he would definitely (imo) have brought an assurance to the team. BUT he was AA's signing.

I still can't reconcile that two successive managers who were centre halfs and an assistant who was also a CH, never truly managed to have a strong dependable pairing in that position. Mental. That's been our downfall, last and this season, imho