County 13/04

BalornockJag

3 hours ago, laukat said:

I only go back to the 80s but I couldnt be more in agreement. As a club we seem to accept second best for fear of getting bad press.

I have never understood why we as a club are happy with 5 seasons in the premier league when clubs like Motherwell (35 seasons) St Johnstone (9 seasons) Kilmarnock (26 seasons) and Hamilton (6 seasons) are able to not only survive longer but also have greater cup success annd sometimes european games. We have underperformed over a long time in comparission to the others.

I agree with this, but being picky Hamilton is 5 seasons unless they survive this season as they came up the year after us via the play offs. 

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

How did we actually play yesterday. I haven’t seen any comments or opinions on that.

We played well, they created very little and we had a few chances, McDonald once again being one if not the best player on the park and worked his arse off, Spittal was unlucky with a shot and Anderson had a good shot at the end, Doolan was constantly offside and should have ran with McDonald at one point to have a tap in but apart from that he good as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Big Col said:

Totally agree that Archibald’s squad was utter pish. But funny how you mention improvement on the day we hit bottom spot in the league. There have been too many disappointments with Caldwell - draws against Falkirk, capitulation against Ross County when 2 goals up, a draw with Dunfermline, abject performances, mind boggling lineups, negative tactics. And his signings haven’t been that much better than AA - Harkins? Mansell? 

He took over with 27 games of the season left and has taken us to the bottom of the league and potentially League 1.

Thats not improvement in my eyes - it’s further proof that he’s a serial loser and should never have been anywhere near Firhill.

If we go down, it’s his fault and the BoD.

I think we get the message.

10 hours ago, sandy said:

This. Javeajag’s logic is getting itself tied in knots trying to show GC has improved things. He sold himself at interview on knowing how each players he inherited could be improved. He has failed. And he has failed with his own signings such as Harkins.

Thistle need a change of manager.

Yeah, that's a well proven strategy that has worked well for lots of other clubs.

If a new manager does not get instant success in his first season in charge, sack him. Pay compensation . Get a new manager in- this will have a settling effect on the squad and the Club as a whole. Give the new manager funds to sign new players ( it would'nt be fair if he didnt get a chance to put his own influence on the squad), this of course will cost money but that's fine because we are loaded. If this new manager does not get success immediately- sack him. Pay compensation. Repeat Repeat Repeat.   

Its not been a good couple of seasons, but this year there are signs of improvement. I honestly don't think changing the manager would be beneficial.

2 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

We played well, they created very little and we had a few chances, McDonald once again being one if not the best player on the park and worked his arse off, Spittal was unlucky with a shot and Anderson had a good shot at the end, Doolan was constantly offside and should have ran with McDonald at one point to have a tap in but apart from that he good as well.

Thanks for that, That 1 jags fan. Appreciated:thumbsup2:

36 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Yeah, that's a well proven strategy that has worked well for lots of other clubs.

If a new manager does not get instant success in his first season in charge, sack him. Pay compensation . Get a new manager in- this will have a settling effect on the squad and the Club as a whole. Give the new manager funds to sign new players ( it would'nt be fair if he didnt get a chance to put his own influence on the squad), this of course will cost money but that's fine because we are loaded. If this new manager does not get success immediately- sack him. Pay compensation. Repeat Repeat Repeat.   

Its not been a good couple of seasons, but this year there are signs of improvement. I honestly don't think changing the manager would be beneficial.

He hasn’t improved things at all as the league table shows , we’ve got 4 massive games to go to preserve our Championship status .

If we do stay up , do you really think Gary Caldwell has done enough to merit another season?  His preferred style of play with the 5 at the back and holding midfielders isn’t going to entice supporters back to the Club or win many games at our level .Having wingers who could make a difference in games like Joe Cardle and Aiden Fitzpatrick he’s decided don’t fit into his template for winning games of football.  Totally bizarre 

I believe there is a disconnect between Caldwell and the supporters due to his belief on how the game should be played  and also his arrogance, yesterday’s post match interview being a prime example ( not concerned about league position)

Really Gary , get a reality check 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I wonder if we had sneaked a win yesterday how much of the above posts would have flooded in? Small margins. It will be like this every single game. That game in hand IS vital also. 

Usually I would look on a game in hand as a positive.

With our current team, I look on it more as another nail in the coffin.

I wish I could be more confident.

16 hours ago, laukat said:

I only go back to the 80s but I couldnt be more in agreement. As a club we seem to accept second best for fear of getting bad press.

I have never understood why we as a club are happy with 5 seasons in the premier league when clubs like Motherwell (35 seasons) St Johnstone (9 seasons) Kilmarnock (26 seasons) and Hamilton (6 seasons) are able to not only survive longer but also have greater cup success annd sometimes european games. We have underperformed over a long time in comparission to the others.

We have been, and probably will always be, a shite second-rate outfit that brings nothing to the top level except guaranteed points for the likes of the other Glasgow teams, the Edinburgh teams, etc.

Yet we remain loyal!

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

We have been, and probably will always be, a shite second-rate outfit that brings nothing to the top level except guaranteed points for the likes of the other Glasgow teams, the Edinburgh teams, etc.

Yet we remain loyal!

This in buckets. In supporting Thistle for 50 years we have never had a really ambitious progressive board. We have had some howlers who have taken the club to near extinction.  We seem feart to upset the establishment. Especially the 2 scumbags in the city. We will always be a club wandering in the desert of football, between flirting with the top table and the baby high chair .

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Usually I would look on a game in hand as a positive.

With our current team, I look on it more as another nail in the coffin.

I wish I could be more confident.

Worry ye not juggernaut. I have confidence. Not only will we beat alloa we will then beat Ayr on the Tuesday night. Then again we might not lol.

9 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

This in buckets. In supporting Thistle for 50 years we have never had a really ambitious progressive board. We have had some howlers who have taken the club to near extinction.  We seem feart to upset the establishment. Especially the 2 scumbags in the city. We will always be a club wandering in the desert of football, between flirting with the top table and the baby high chair .

Don't disagree with this. When we all look back on thistle history the last 5 years were a great chance to really do something. Rangers in the grubber and Celtic pre Brendan Rodgers were their for the taking. Also if the board had put in a measly 200k at Xmas 2017 we would not be where we are right now. We will bounce back but God knows how long it will take this time. As Bill Hicks once said " we're only here for the ride" Got to try and enjoy it....

Edited by dl1971
Typo

13 hours ago, Emsca said:

And would you maintain this position/opinion if we are relegated?

Caldwell has taken us nowhere. We are in a worse position in the league now than when he took over. Even if, and I agree, performances have improved, we are BOTTOM. Sometimes managers need moved aside/sacked. I do take your point, about constant change of manager but iF you get the appointment WRONG you don't just persevere just cos of your above points. To keep the status quo as you suggest, how long do you think before we put the brakes on? After we are relegated? Next Christmas when we are adrift at the bottom of the first? It's this attitude, adopted by the board, that has us in the position we are in. 

No point changing with 4 games to go, but the signs are there in plain sight that Caldwell is not the manager to halt the slide, perform surgery on the team and take us forward. Under him we are doomed to mediocrity at best. A complete and utter shambles perpetuated by this attitude and to suggest otherwise is just crazy.

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Worry ye not juggernaut. I have confidence. Not only will we beat alloa we will then beat Ayr on the Tuesday night. Then again we might not lol.

If only I had what you are drinking, dl1971 ;) 

But seriously, we need to beat Alloa and take 4 points from 6 off Ayr to avoid QOTS being a relegation decider for us.

10 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

And would you maintain this position/opinion if we are relegated?

Caldwell has taken us nowhere. We are in a worse position in the league now than when he took over. Even if, and I agree, performances have improved, we are BOTTOM. Sometimes managers need moved aside/sacked. I do take your point, about constant change of manager but iF you get the appointment WRONG you don't just persevere just cos of your above points. To keep the status quo as you suggest, how long do you think before we put the brakes on? After we are relegated? Next Christmas when we are adrift at the bottom of the first? It's this attitude, adopted by the board, that has us in the position we are in. 

No point changing with 4 games to go, but the signs are there in plain sight that Caldwell is not the manager to halt the slide, perform surgery on the team and take us forward. Under him we are doomed to mediocrity at best. A complete and utter shambles perpetuated by this attitude and to suggest otherwise is just crazy.

No I would'nt.

I take your point that sometimes appointments don't work and managers need to be moved aside. I just worry tha if  we appoint someone else and there is no improvement- what then? Change again?

Given you are into hypothetical questions, what if we pick up 7 points out of last 12 and finish safe. Would you still sack him?

6 minutes ago, Emsca said:

No I would'nt.

I take your point that sometimes appointments don't work and managers need to be moved aside. I just worry tha if  we appoint someone else and there is no improvement- what then? Change again?

Given you are into hypothetical questions, what if we pick up 7 points out of last 12 and finish safe. Would you still sack him?

I would still sack him. He was brought in to push us towards promotion. In that he has utterly failed. He needs to go.

7 minutes ago, Emsca said:

No I would'nt.

Given that his remit was to get us promotion or at least a play off place , are we now moving the goal posts and saying if he keeps us in a poor league that he is a success. 

I don’t think he’s done anything to convince me he’s the right person to rebuild the club , it’s been a shocking season and Caldwell has been there for 3/4 of it .

Whether we stay up or not , in my opinion he’s not the man for the job .

12 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Given that his remit was to get us promotion or at least a play off place , are we now moving the goal posts and saying if he keeps us in a poor league that he is a success. 

I don’t think he’s done anything to convince me he’s the right person to rebuild the club , it’s been a shocking season and Caldwell has been there for 3/4 of it .

Whether we stay up or not , in my opinion he’s not the man for the job .

Agree. I do fear no matter what league we are in next season, Caldwell will still be manager.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree. I do fear no matter what league we are in next season, Caldwell will still be manager.

It would be unacceptable for him to still be here if we go down. But IMO he’s not the right person to take us up to top tier either.

Remember Chesterfield.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Knowing our incompetent board and CE they will think it a success to even stay up via the play offs and keep him on.

I agree, the spin will be something like, ' the improvements since Xmas and when GC could start to put together his own squad of players convince us that in the long term GC is the right manager' 

The word 'start' in this sort of statement is important as it would indicate [or hint] if GC had got all the players he was trying to get, we would have performed better in the second half of the 2018 / 2019 season, therefore it's not the managers fault, it is just the way the cards were dealt.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I agree, the spin will be something like, ' the improvements since Xmas and when GC could start to put together his own squad of players convince us that in the long term GC is the right manager' 

The word 'start' in this sort of statement is important as it would indicate [or hint] if GC had got all the players he was trying to get, we would have performed better in the second half of the 2018 / 2019 season, therefore it's not the managers fault, it is just the way the cards were dealt.

I fear exactly this.

I will make a judgment of Caldwell at the end of the season. He has done well since the window with some good players coming in. 

If he can keep us up in what is a very difficult situation then he will probably keep his job. It's the time before the Xmas window that's really hurt us but there are clear signs of improvement since then. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

I will make a judgment of Caldwell at the end of the season. He has done well since the window with some good players coming in. 

If he can keep us up in what is a very difficult situation then he will probably keep his job. It's the time before the Xmas window that's really hurt us but there are clear signs of improvement since then. 

Agree now ain't the time to be making judgment. The remaining matches (nobody knows for sure how many remain) will go along way towards decision making.

Two points from above post. I think we can all accept the "very difficult situation" is partly of Caldwell's making. Also if we agree his signings have improved the squad then he'd be an even poorer manager to not improve on our league position significantly.

If we do survive in this division then I sense ST uptake could play a big part on the Board's decision making re the manager. If there's a general consensus among the support that the Board are too distant and there's also fan dissatisfaction with the manager, then many will feel not renewing or delayed renewing is one way of making our feelings heard. 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2019 at 6:29 PM, That 1 jags fan said:

That's a fair summary. It has to be said that Sneddon's distribution was woeful - going straight out from kicks several times, and otherwise generally giving away possession. The Ross County team looked leggy after their midweek game, and only really rallied just after the break. Our shooting wasn't up to scratch, but when Fitzpatrick came on he started to put pressure on the County defence - too late. It didn't look as if the Ross County had enough energy to win, even although our midfield was generally posted missing, whereas our forward play constantly looked threatening.