County 13/04

BalornockJag

14 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

If we go down, punt him.

If we stay up he’ll have done an excellent job.

The only good players we have are MCDonald and Penrice. He signed one and developed the other. Several others have played better under Caldwell but will never be good players.

Having watched the Livvy debacle I suggested we get rid of nearly the whole bunch of bottlers. Archie retained most of the worst ones and signed a bunch oh haddies.

Of the few I would have retained Erskine and Doolan failed badly.

Since New Year McDonald and a few others have made an impact and we should stay up. If so Caldwell should be praised.

An excellent job when he was brought in to at least get us to a play off place when we are bottom with four games left? He has signed duds like Mansell, Roy and Harkins. We will stay up in spite of Caldwell, not because of him. Be praised? For taking us to the bottom of the league and then saying that the league position was irrelevant? He is a clown and needs binned.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

My best case scenario is to see us finish 8th, punt Caldwell and appoint Jim Goodwin. I feel with that guy we will have the chance to challenge again for promotion playoffs. Give JG 3 years at the club he would have us playing better with younger players scouted from the Scottish lower leagues and juniors. It would have our support happy in that we would see young Scottish talent learning and playing well for the best community orientated club in Glasgow.

Well I can dream.

There is a lot to be said for this. After last week’s games, Goodwin was interviewed on Radio Scotland. In contrast to GC, Goodwin came across as honest, upbeat and sound in terms of his management approach. He has built of team with youngsters and old pros at Alloa and got them playing together well 

I fear for us this Saturday with Goodwin in the opposing dugout; Alloa’s morale is high.

But equally right now,  I’d take him as new Jags manager as a breath of fresh air and give him 2-3 years to transform us. 

• Like 1

I ran out of likes for GRE and sandy's posts.

Sorry weebaw, you're talking baws.....sorry, was way too tempting.

I also fear alloa for Saturdays game. Well organised and above all committed and full of confidence. I'm all for going for Goodwin but I fear he'll have more than an offer from us next season. St midden will probably be looking for a new manager same might be speculated for Falkirk if they go down, DU if they don't go up. Also all is reported as not well at both Dundee and Motherwell.

I agree Goodwin comes accross well, has his team motivated and well organised, attributes we can only dream of just now. But I fear Goodwin will have more choice than just us.

Another for consideration, Scott McDonald, with doolan as assistant? Or am I being too emotional? McDonald talks well, like Goodwin comes over well in interviews and is / was a fully committed player. Just a thought.

18 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

An excellent job when he was brought in to at least get us to a play off place when we are bottom with four games left? He has signed duds like Mansell, Roy and Harkins. We will stay up in spite of Caldwell, not because of him. Be praised? For taking us to the bottom of the league and then saying that the league position was irrelevant? He is a clown and needs binned.

Agree with all of this, except I am not sure we will stay up.

3 hours ago, dl1971 said:

So despite the sunny weather very little signs of a sunny disposition regarding game against the mighty Alloa. At this rate Goodwin should be getting the Scotland job! Here's a mad thought we might actually win. 

I hope we win, does that count? Regarding Goodwin I would say most people will have been impressed by the job he has done with Alloa. Whereas our own manager not impressed at all.

6 hours ago, dl1971 said:

So despite the sunny weather very little signs of a sunny disposition regarding game against the mighty Alloa. At this rate Goodwin should be getting the Scotland job! Here's a mad thought we might actually win. 

Lets just do what we did the last time we played the team managed by the Alloa Adonis and win 2-0 in a fairly comfortable manner :)

On 4/18/2019 at 6:38 PM, Garscube Road End said:

Roy And Harkins are duds true, mansell still a young lad has a couple of assists- jury still out.  I’d say in terms of signings Caldwell fares better than Archie- Archie got oware and slater right- the rest of the summer signings were absolutely shocking and the board should have been raising questions at how many duds he was signing.  They truly were garbage and I still cannot fathom what Archibald was playing at.

I’d say Caldwell with cardle, McDonald, Anderson, Saunders, McMillan etc is better on that front - though granted if he had managed to sign as many duds as we did over the summer he should have been punted in January and considering the run he took us to prior to January could well have been punted before then

Edited by Third Lanark

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Roy And Harkins are duds true, mansell still a young lad has a couple of assists- jury still out.  I’d say in terms of signings Caldwell fares better than Archie- Archie got oware and slater right- the rest of the summer signings were absolutely shocking and the board should have been raising questions at how many duds he was signing.  They truly were garbage and I still cannot fathom what Archibald was playing at.

I’d say Caldwell with cardle, McDonald, Anderson, Saunders, McMillan etc is better on that front - though granted if he had managed to sign as many duds as we did over the summer he should have been punted in January and considering the run he took us to prior to January could well have been punted before then

Archie's signing is generally after our first season  in the premiership were honking. Seemed to get worse every season. He was just a bad manager. Caldwell may have signed more better players but he hasn't got a clue how to use them.

• Like 1

In hindsight, Caldwell probably thought he genuinely could do something with the dross he inherited, and then discovered that whatever philosophy didn't work with said dross.................and sadly Erskine too.

The further you get away from the achievement of top 6 two years ago, the more you realise that Archie made an absolute horlicks of building on it.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

In hindsight, Caldwell probably thought he genuinely could do something with the dross he inherited, and then discovered that whatever philosophy didn't work with said dross.................and sadly Erskine too.

The further you get away from the achievement of top 6 two years ago, the more you realise that Archie made an absolute horlicks of building on it.

Archie was far too loyal to the squad he had from top 6. He made an absolute mess of it. And last season he relied on the injured players coming back to save him and didn't strengthen in January window. He should've been punted well before that. But the club have been run on an old pals act for far too long and it is costing us extremely dearly.

Just now, Garscube Road End said:

Archie was far too loyal to the squad he had from top 6. He made an absolute mess of it. And last season he relied on the injured players coming back to save him and didn't strengthen in January window. He should've been punted well before that. But the club have been run on an old pals act for far too long and it is costing us extremely dearly.

Agree.

Should have been punted after losing 0-2 to Kilmarnock at Firhill when Steve Clarke was sitting in the stand. That was the first serious sign for me.

There were half a dozen other genuine occasions thereafter during that season, not least of which the screamingly obvious 0-4 at Dingwall on his sixth of nine lives.

If what Norge says is true - that he'd lost the dressing room as early as September - then it was criminal inactivity by the board.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Archie's signing is generally after our first season  in the premiership were honking. Seemed to get worse every season. He was just a bad manager. Caldwell may have signed more better players but he hasn't got a clue how to use them.

This is not true. In fact, many of his first season signings were poor. His signings improved in seasons 2-4. I absolutely disagree that we made top 6 despite Archie’s signings, after having been in charge 5 years. Credit is due for his achievements. 

I would agree with your subsequent post that Archie put too much belief in that side the next season. This is were he went wrong. I can understand that it was difficult to know that Keown, Barton and Osman (stand out performers the season before) would be that bad. However the failure to recruit in January when we were struggling was the biggest disaster, and a huge mistake from which he never recovered.

• Like 1