4 Games to go.

Jimmy McD

I think the thing with play offs is that form (or if you like, momentum) is important. Obviously if we end up 9th we'd have little in the way of that commodity. You've then got to hope that the two teams we'd have to play have kinda stuttered into their promotion play offs. The other problem 2nd bottom often will face is that at least one of the teams they'll play will have been able to rest players etc and be better prepared. So much to get right to win thru even if we had the better set of players.

10 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think the thing with play offs is that form (or if you like, momentum) is important. Obviously if we end up 9th we'd have little in the way of that commodity. You've then got to hope that the two teams we'd have to play have kinda stuttered into their promotion play offs. The other problem 2nd bottom often will face is that at least one of the teams they'll play will have been able to rest players etc and be better prepared. So much to get right to win thru even if we had the better set of players.

Like last season. Livvi had the momentum, we were out on our feet. 

I have real doubts that the squad have the mental strength needed to get to safety. 

Next week decides our fate in my opinion. If we win, I think we’ll finish 8th. If we draw or lose, we’ll finish bottom. Because failing to win will be a crushing blow for morale.

44 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I have real doubts that the squad have the mental strength needed to get to safety. 

Next week decides our fate in my opinion. If we win, I think we’ll finish 8th. If we draw or lose, we’ll finish bottom. Because failing to win will be a crushing blow for morale.

Agree. Win on Saturday and then get at least4points from our double header with Ayr should/hopefully have us in a reasonably safe position. Lose on Saturday and I think Caldwell will see just how relevant sitting bottom of the league with 3 games to go is.

Got a horrible feeling in my gut that Alloa will beat us, and that other results "will go against us."  No, they wont. Our own results will have gone against us, too many times.

We find ourselves again with a team that shows a stupefying inability to win enough matches, and a manager unable to do anything about it. There's usually only one certain outcome of that combination.

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I don’t think that is the case in the lower league playoffs. I think it is 2nd bottom vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd. Then the two winners play.

Crumbs of comfort time.

Just checked back to 2005 and the last time we were relegated from the 2nd tier (9th position no play offs back then). Setting the scene, with 4 games to play we had 32 pts not too dissimilar today's 34pts. We'd just lost  at Starks Pk (the infamous Fulton let's **** off and watch the Grand National game).  Many are saying the standard of this season's league is poor, which makes our position even more unacceptable. I go along with that. Point I'd like to make is how bad must the standard have been 14 years back when we had roughly the same amount of points as today.

This was the starting XI that day in Kirkcaldy............Bennett in goals, back four of Snowden, Murray,  MadAussie & Milne, midfield of Brady, Willie Gibson, Andy Ross & Strachan playing behind the deadly striking duo of McConalugs and Hinds. I think we all can agree that at least we can put out a stronger side than that today. 

9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Crumbs of comfort time.

Just checked back to 2005 and the last time we were relegated from the 2nd tier (9th position no play offs back then). Setting the scene, with 4 games to play we had 32 pts not too dissimilar today's 34pts. We'd just lost  at Starks Pk (the infamous Fulton let's **** off and watch the Grand National game).  Many are saying the standard of this season's league is poor, which makes our position even more unacceptable. I go along with that. Point I'd like to make is how bad must the standard have been 14 years back when we had roughly the same amount of points as today.

This was the starting XI that day in Kirkcaldy............Bennett in goals, back four of Snowden, Murray,  MadAussie & Milne, midfield of Brady, Willie Gibson, Andy Ross & Strachan playing behind the deadly striking duo of McConalugs and Hinds. I think we all can agree that at least we can put out a stronger side than that today. 

That is a horrific team. Its just as well that we learned from that and none of the people reponsible for recruiting such are poor squad are involved in signing players for the club...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laukat said:

That is a horrific team. Its just as well that we learned from that and none of the people reponsible for recruiting such are poor squad are involved in signing players for the club...

Although it was a nice day, it was a dreadful team which even Fulton abandoned to go to the pub.

McConologue & Hinds wouldn’t even make a good solicitors  name. 

Edited by sandy

2 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

I missed the end of 2004/5 as I was in India. So, I have never witnessed Thistle drop into the 3rd tier.  This year, I'm flying to China the day before the QotS game...

Are you Canton upon us to win in your absence?

4 hours ago, laukat said:

This was the starting XI that day in Kirkcaldy............Bennett in goals, back four of Snowden, Murray,  MadAussie & Milne, midfield of Brady, Willie Gibson, Andy Ross & Strachan playing behind the deadly striking duo of McConalugs and Hinds.

Good grief what a midfield. No idea who is the keeper is either.