Tommy Smith

Jaggernaut

Tommy Smith, Liverpool legend, RIP.

Hardman...... yes, apt description, but terrific.

Can anybody remember an interview with him in (I think) the Sunday Herald magazine, around 15 years ago? The language he used when describing today's, let's politely call them cotton wool-wrapped nancy-boy superstars, was absolutely hilarious. I'd love to read it again.

The old memory not being what it was, (what it was precisely, I don't remember), the interview in question might not even have been with Tommy Smith, but I think it was!

ETA: As the article was in a Scottish paper it might well have been an interview with a Scottish hardman defender who was a legend for his English team. Any suggestions?

Edited by Jaggernaut

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Tommy Smith, Liverpool legend, RIP.

Hardman...... yes, apt description, but terrific.

Can anybody remember an interview with him in (I think) the Sunday Herald magazine, around 15 years ago? The language he used when describing today's, let's politely call them cotton wool-wrapped nancy-boy superstars, was absolutely hilarious. I'd love to read it again.

The old memory not being what it was, (what it was precisely, I don't remember), the interview in question might not even have been with Tommy Smith, but I think it was!

ETA: As the article was in a Scottish paper it might well have been an interview with a Scottish hardman defender who was a legend for his English team. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, it might have been that serco f@nny Jim traynor. I've a vague memory of several articles written by him and possibly the gloriously talented mcilvanney in the sports section of the SH around 2004/5 of interviews with legends of yesterday year. Sad news indeed about Tommy Smith. He was really loved down there.

One of the first games I ever watched (properly) was the 1977 European Cup Final between Liverpool and Borrusia Munchen Glabbach. Liverpool won 3-1 and Tommy Smith scored a fantastic header to make it 2-1, which knocked the stuffing out the Germans.

Tommy was a veteran by then, a relic from the Bill Shankly era. He was on his way out of the Liverpool team and was only just brought back again before that final. 1977 was Tommy's testimonial season, with the game held at Anfield after the European final. Needless to say that it was packed to the rafters. It also featured on a TV documetary called the "Big Time" and a local Liverpool supporter was given the chance to play in the game! You wouldn't get something like that today. That series also gave Sheena Easton her big break.

Tommy went on to play for Liverpool's first team for another full season, before joining John Toshack's, Swansea City along with the other Liverpool great Ian Callaghen.

Sad to hear this and thanks for posting it Jaggernaut, or it would have passed my by.

RIP - Tommy "the tank" Smith.