vs Alloa 20/4

elevenone

2 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Would not be right to let this thread go by without paying tribute to Jamie Sneddon. Might perhaps have done better with the goal, though may have been unsighted. 

After that his performance and distribution were immaculate and he made at least 2 vital saves in the second half.

I was behind the goal and it came through a crowd- he’d have been definitely unsighted 

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Not a chance that will happen.

Dools and Skippy up front (justified imo).

Spittal, Slater and Banzo (when available).

All are stick on starters, and probably rightly so.

Given the above, where do you fit in two wingers, neither of whom track back?

I will give you Fitzy but Cardle was constantly tracking back today.

if it was me I’d drop Slater and Spittal and play Harkins and Brannigan in midfield with Cardle and Fitzy as out and out Wingers with both MacDonald and Dolan up front.

Straight 4-4-2

its all about opinions 

Not for the first time, I was unconvinced by Caldwell's team selection and the formation predictably failed in the first half  -  we were relying on Elliot,  McMillan & Gordon to create chances so no great surprise we didn't....just as well big Sean McGinty had a few swaggering runs and sensible passes. It was like a re-run of the Livvy play-off game with Alloa taking a lead and defending in depth against a laborious Thistle build-up.

Second Half was much better - it helps to bring on decent footballers and that the man who used to be Gary Harkins played like..Gary Harkins. Slater was lost in the first half but did well in his proper position. 

I always thought Scott MacDonald was an obnoxious wee nyaff when he played for the opposition...now I have seen him for Thistle, I was able to confirm that he is. He didn't play particularly well but scored a good free kick, beating the fat-boy Alloa Keeper who showed  that he was not only slow at taking bye kicks. It was a crucial goal for Thistle but MacDonald's reaction to go to taunt the small band of Alloa Fans rather that celebrate with his own supporters was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen from a Thistle player.

A vital win but with the players we have it is ludicrous we have been nowhere even close to a promotion play-off spot.

3 minutes ago, erty13 said:

Great result, but that is now three of the last five where Caldwell got the formation wrong. We end up giving the other team a 45 min start until we start playing.

Maybe, but unlike AA, GC has the guts to try something different.

That said, it does not justify our current position.

26 minutes ago, Paukea said:

Why is it that every Thistle fan knew today’s starting line up was wrong but Caldwell never. As soon as Cardle came on he completely changed the game. If Fitzpatrick and Cardle started I would hazard a guess that we would of won by some margin.

Elliot and Penrice are not attacking wing backs their final ball is shockingly poor.

Harkins showed some wonderful skill at times and Mcginty (Yes mcginty) was excellent and really took the game to Alloa.He would of been my MOTM.

Caldwell obviously doesn’t trust the defence and that’s why he goes with 5 at the back. He also puts to much thought into opposition and tactics.

Can we please just start Cardle and Fitzy and let’s just take the game right to the opposition...Teams can’t handle them 

He played the same starting lineup as at County and as they got a valuable point up there possibly thought the same players had deserved to start 

Excellent result absolutely buzzing forget the first half we did what mattered and got the 3 points. Sneddon great second half. Ando was solid again, as where dools and skippy both worked there socks off. Cardle and harkins excellent changed the game. Big Mcginty motm he was outstanding today. You could see what it meant to him at the end he was absolutely buzzing and oozing passion, absolutely loved that from him. Well done that man.

3 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

I always thought Scott MacDonald was an obnoxious wee nyaff when he played for the opposition...now I have seen him for Thistle, I was able to confirm that he is. He didn't play particularly well but scored a good free kick, beating the fat-boy Alloa Keeper who showed  that he was not only slow at taking bye kicks. It was a crucial goal for Thistle but MacDonald's reaction to go to taunt the small band of Alloa Fans rather that celebrate with his own supporters was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen from a Thistle player.

Yes he's obnoxious. He is a winner. The last sentence is the funniest thing i have read on here.

4 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Not for the first time, I was unconvinced by Caldwell's team selection and the formation predictably failed in the first half  -  we were relying on Elliot,  McMillan & Gordon to create chances so no great surprise we didn't....just as well big Sean McGinty had a few swaggering runs and sensible passes. It was like a re-run of the Livvy play-off game with Alloa taking a lead and defending in depth against a laborious Thistle build-up.

Second Half was much better - it helps to bring on decent footballers and that the man who used to be Gary Harkins played like..Gary Harkins. Slater was lost in the first half but did well in his proper position. 

A vital win but with the players we have it is ludicrous we have been nowhere even close to a promotion play-off spot.

Totally disagree McDonald’s celebration was absolutely superb, if they can dish it they can take it back. All a bit of fun. 

13 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Most pathetic thing you have ever seen from a Thistle player really? Try the performances in the playoffs against Livi easily beating that along with numerous games under the Bunnett etc

7 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

The rest of your post was bang on the Euro, but this is nonsense.

Scott McDonald is our wee nyaff now and long may continue to be so. He can celebrate in any way he wants if he does his job.

Ball in the net, Jags win, he can celebrate by going to Jaconelli's and asking for an extra pickled onion on his fish supper and then come back and score another.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

What a bizarre post. McDonald has essentially saved our season and scored the winner today in maybe our most important match of the season. Lighten up. 

31 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

You mean because of guys like McDonald Anderson etc that he signed or would you have preferred we had retained all the great players we signed in the summer?

What do you think? I wish he had lived up to his great proclamations that he had assessed the squad he had inherited and would improve it. But he didn’t. I was delighted when he moved on the dead wood that was in the squad built by Archie but let’s not kid ourselves on that he has signed star quality players and built a squad capable of promotion. We’re still in the bottom 2 and not safe from relegation. But tonight we can all hail Caldwell as a genius who masterminded a wonderful win against a part time team who made the mistake of trying to defend a one goal lead.

Edited by Big Col

2 minutes ago, Big Col said:

What do you think? I wish he had lived up to his great proclamations that he had assessed the squad he had inherited and would improve it. But he didn’t. I was delighted when he moved on the dead wood that was in the squad built by Archie but let’s not kid ourselves on that he has signed star quality players and built a squad capable of promotion. We’re still in the bottom 2 and not safe from relegation. But tonight we can all hail Caldwell as a genius who masterminded a wonderful win against a part time team who made the mistake of trying to defend a one goal lead.

Jesus cheer up we won 

2 minutes ago, Big Col said:

What do you think? I wish he had lived up to his great proclamations that he had assessed the squad he had inherited and would improve it. But he didn’t. I was delighted when he moved on the dead wood what was in the squad built by Archie but let’s now kid ourselves on that he has signed star quality players and built a squad capable of promotion. 

By the time he got his key players in it was January. Too late for a promotion push. As many have said his start killed that dream. I thought we were all waiting to the end of the season to judge him? 

33 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

You mean because of guys like McDonald Anderson etc that he signed or would you have preferred we had retained all the great players we signed in the summer?

Up until today we were bottom of the league, after Caldwell being in charge since October.

Absolutely terrific to eventually get the win today once Caldwell rectified his terrible starting 11 and formation, and what an important win it was. But can we be absolutely clear that mere survival isn’t why Caldwell was appointed, and if the club try to spin survival as vindication of Caldwell’s appointment then it will be absolutely laughable. 

• Like 3