vs Alloa 20/4

elevenone

Scott macdonald is exactly the type of player we’ve needed for the past two years. A horrible wee runt maybe. But a winner. Losers and wasters like Osman and Barton are the reason we went down. Macdonald knows what it takes. We can’t underestimate the utter garbage AA signed. I’m not Caldwell’s biggest fan but he’s replaced utter mince with players who know what to do when the chips are down. Quitongo, mutombo, ntwembe, storer, Jeffries etc were pub players at best. Let’s at least give Gc some credit for improving things since January 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Up until today we were bottom of the league, after Caldwell being in charge since October.

Absolutely terrific to eventually get the win today once Caldwell rectified his terrible starting 11 and formation, and what an important win it was. But can we be absolutely clear that mere survival isn’t why Caldwell was appointed, and if the club try to spin survival as vindication of Caldwell’s appointment then it will be absolutely laughable. 

+1.

I think I aged 5 years in that 90 minutes.

Like all [or at least most] the other writers I was impressed by McGinty, but it was obvious that the central defender was a bit uncomfortable being given [or inheriting] the midfield playmaker role, Bannigan was sorely missed in the first half, and why did we allow Alloa to earn so many corner kicks?, it was a matter of time before one of them would give us some sort of problem, and sure enough they scored!!

Harkins' ball skills were wonderful to watch when he came on, he only had one loose pass the whole of the 45 minutes he was on. I get the feeling he is probably only good for 45 minutes particularly in the temperatures we saw today, but he was mightily impressive for that 45.

I thought Sneddon played better the longer the game lasted … I think we should keep him in the team for the rest of the games this season.

As a unit we looked much the better team in the second half, but breaking down a defence like Alloa's was not easy. I thought their goalkeeper should have been yellow carded for his malingering over kick-outs and he fully deserved the verbal he got from the JL stand. [what kind of team employs time wasting tactics from the 13th minute of a football match???]

Overall, we deserved to win, but we do make the game difficult for ourselves. I think GC needs to take the video of that first half and talk through the errors with the squad to ensure we don't give Ayr United the same sort of head start in a match we really need to win.

17 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Up until today we were bottom of the league, after Caldwell being in charge since October.

Absolutely terrific to eventually get the win today once Caldwell rectified his terrible starting 11 and formation, and what an important win it was. But can we be absolutely clear that mere survival isn’t why Caldwell was appointed, and if the club try to spin survival as vindication of Caldwell’s appointment then it will be absolutely laughable. 

True. He was appointed with the aim of promotion. We all get that but...to use a political analogy may was appointed to ensure brexit was achieved. Sometimes the possible becomes impossible. Most fair minded thistle fans now recognise that promotion was a pipe dream due to the squad built prior to Caldwells arrival. No matter how hard you polish a turd it remains a turd. The turds were removed in January ergo we improved. Fact.

Nice to see big Sean so fired up at the end of the game today and getting a hug from GC. I thought he was superb today-I've been a big critic of him but thought he was different class today. I thought the Alloa players were shitting themselves every time he started to run towards the box. It would have been good to see him get the MOTM. Harkins was like a different player.  Cardle was great too. A great win and the ground was buzzing today.

Couldn't make the game today, and the BBC website live update wasn't working, so was mightily relieved when I saw the final score.  Great result.

We did what was required, but seemingly the hard way again; from being behind.  The hard way appears to involve subs to correct the line up to that most fans wanted.  Caldwell is a big improvement on Archibald in his use of subs, so perhaps there is a logic in not playing Cardle and/or Fitzpatrick from the start.

Maybe he is saving them for the last three games. 

Good to see the team come back from the precipice at half time. Still 3 big games to go. 

Ian McCall was in the directors box and when asked about what team he'll put out on Tuesday he responded with the under 13s lol

I suppose a draw is a good result.

Anyway enjoy your nights, even the miserable bastirts lol

A bit surprised nobody has mentioned the goal we lost. We had 2 chances to clear the ball from our area and both times we miskicked the ball, the second time the ball fell to the Alloa player who scored. After that we had plenty of the ball but they put ten behind the ball and we didn't know what to do. The double substitution changed the game. Cardle took his goal well and Harkins had a good game. A very good 3 points, but we really need to play for 90+ minutes and not just 45. A win at Ayr  would just about guarantee a play off at worst. But I would hope it would give us confidence to go on and beat them at Firhill next Saturday and surely that would give us safety.

Edited by Auld Jag

8 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Nice to see big Sean so fired up at the end of the game today and getting a hug from GC. I thought he was superb today-I've been a big critic of him but thought he was different class today. I thought the Alloa players were shitting themselves every time he started to run towards the box. It would have been good to see him get the MOTM. Harkins was like a different player.  Cardle was great too. A great win and the ground was buzzing today.

MOTM 

1 hour ago, Winter of '63 said:

Not for the first time, I was unconvinced by Caldwell's team selection and the formation predictably failed in the first half  -  we were relying on Elliot,  McMillan & Gordon to create chances so no great surprise we didn't....just as well big Sean McGinty had a few swaggering runs and sensible passes. It was like a re-run of the Livvy play-off game with Alloa taking a lead and defending in depth against a laborious Thistle build-up.

Second Half was much better - it helps to bring on decent footballers and that the man who used to be Gary Harkins played like..Gary Harkins. Slater was lost in the first half but did well in his proper position. 

I always thought Scott MacDonald was an obnoxious wee nyaff when he played for the opposition...now I have seen him for Thistle, I was able to confirm that he is. He didn't play particularly well but scored a good free kick, beating the fat-boy Alloa Keeper who showed  that he was not only slow at taking bye kicks. It was a crucial goal for Thistle but MacDonald's reaction to go to taunt the small band of Alloa Fans rather that celebrate with his own supporters was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen from a Thistle player.

A vital win but with the players we have it is ludicrous we have been nowhere even close to a promotion play-off spot.

Yep. Agree with this. Not going to disagree with you re skippy celebrating in front of the away fans but..........it is very refreshing to have a player like him. We have been way too nice for way too long. We need this type of player, a little dirty, a little nippy, a little, well, get it right up ye sort of guy. I am loving it. 

Yes in the main, I don't like, it but we need this just now. They were winding our fans up at every opportunity so try and see that as skippy sticking up for us.

For what it's worth, i think, like many others on here, Caldwell got his formation wrong first half but credit where it's due, his subs and change to 4132 with Harkins getting cover when he marauded forward was a thing if beauty at times. That was the harkins from the promotion season. Cardle gave a bit of zest and directness that was also lacking first half. If we play the last 3 games like the first half we'll hit bottom or play off, give it the second half and we'll be fine. Nail biting end to the season though.

14 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Likewise sir. Are you managing to keep yourself on a tight leash by way of game comments so far? Safe journey home. Nice chatting to @Auld Jag (inspirational chap) and @partickthedog.

Yes it was great to have a chat before the game. Then you and Sandy went to the posh seats in the JHS. While Partickthedog and I went to the John Lambie stand.:happy2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Big Col said:

What do you think? I wish he had lived up to his great proclamations that he had assessed the squad he had inherited and would improve it. But he didn’t. I was delighted when he moved on the dead wood that was in the squad built by Archie but let’s not kid ourselves on that he has signed star quality players and built a squad capable of promotion. We’re still in the bottom 2 and not safe from relegation. But tonight we can all hail Caldwell as a genius who masterminded a wonderful win against a part time team who made the mistake of trying to defend a one goal lead.

You do make a valid point big cold, but jav is right, we won, cheer up, have a go at Caldwell in the morning when you wake up, and realise that despite a horrendous 1st half we managed to win, convincingly, (in terms of play) but not for the first time this season we find other teams around us have also picked up points and we are still in the relegation mire.

Everything's coming up Millhouse.....& league positions don't matter

21 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

A bit surprised nobody has mentioned the goal we lost. We had 2 chances to clear the ball from our area and both times we miskicked the ball, the second time the ball fell to the Alloa player who scored. After that we had plenty of the ball but they put ten behind the ball and we didn't know what to do. The double substitution changed the game. Cardle took his goal well and Harkins had a good game. A very good 3 points, but we really need to play for 90+ minutes and not just 45. A win at Ayr  would just about guarantee a play off at worst. But I would hope it would give us confidence to go on and beat them at Firhill next Saturday and surely that would give us safety.

I was just about to post something similar.

Again we gave the opposition a head  start from an error. We tried hard in the 1st half to break them down with only getting one chance. Unfortunately Doolan didn’t take his chance. We got a couple of breaks in the 2nd half, but again missed a one on one - this time MacDonald. We could have been more comfortable, but ended up hanging in. 

3 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Yes it was great to have a chat before the game. Then you and Sandy went to the posh seats in the JHS. While Partickthedog and I went to the John Lambie stand.:happy2:

And I know where I'd rather have been............

It was splendid,  I can't lie but if it hadn't been a gift I'd never have gone. Seems great value if you're a drinker but like yourself I'm not so right now I'm discovering what diet coke does to your bladder:drink2:

They do a good spread, only complaint from me was Robert Reid wasn't able to do his wee talk, I've heard it's very good. Wishing a Speedy recovery to him.

Scott McDonald came and accepted his player of the month and morn award. Spoke very eloquently, a future manager for someone I think.

35 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I think I aged 5 years in that 90 minutes.

Like all [or at least most] the other writers I was impressed by McGinty, but it was obvious that the central defender was a bit uncomfortable being given [or inheriting] the midfield playmaker role, Bannigan was sorely missed in the first half, and why did we allow Alloa to earn so many corner kicks?, it was a matter of time before one of them would give us some sort of problem, and sure enough they scored!!

Harkins' ball skills were wonderful to watch when he came on, he only had one loose pass the whole of the 45 minutes he was on. I get the feeling he is probably only good for 45 minutes particularly in the temperatures we saw today, but he was mightily impressive for that 45.

I thought Sneddon played better the longer the game lasted … I think we should keep him in the team for the rest of the games this season.

As a unit we looked much the better team in the second half, but breaking down a defence like Alloa's was not easy. I thought their goalkeeper should have been yellow carded for his malingering over kick-outs and he fully deserved the verbal he got from the JL stand. [what kind of team employs time wasting tactics from the 13th minute of a football match???]

Overall, we deserved to win, but we do make the game difficult for ourselves. I think GC needs to take the video of that first half and talk through the errors with the squad to ensure we don't give Ayr United the same sort of head start in a match we really need to win.

Ran outta likes.

Caldwell needs to get it into their heads that right from the first to the last minute they need to attack and defend as a unit. 1st half there were too many players playing their own game. Alloa were, for a PT team very fit and closed us down so well when they didn't have the ball. Very similer to us when we first got promoted.

They are a competent team and will stay up. At least I hope they do, they deserve it. As long as we stay up too of course.

As a side thought, I noticed Goodwin sitting in the dug out on his own about 15 minutes after the game..........wonder what that was about. Maybe will never know

36 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

True. He was appointed with the aim of promotion. We all get that but...to use a political analogy may was appointed to ensure brexit was achieved. Sometimes the possible becomes impossible. Most fair minded thistle fans now recognise that promotion was a pipe dream due to the squad built prior to Caldwells arrival. No matter how hard you polish a turd it remains a turd. The turds were removed in January ergo we improved. Fact.

It wasn’t impossible to keep us out of a relegation dogfight. Nobody denies form has improved since January but we were still bottom of the league until today, and even since January there’s been too many abysmal performances and bewildering decisions. His reign has not been successful, and when/if we stay up it still won’t have been. 

Saying the word ‘fact’ at the end of a post doesn’t render your post factual, FYI. 

Good 3 points today, but...

a) Caldwell got his formation wrong in first half and was too slow to see that

b) McGinty played like he had confidence, taking the ball forward to them 

c) I shuddered when Harkins came on as first sub, but he did have some good touches

d) let’s keep playing Sneddon as his confidence is growing 

e) Skippy is not a wee nyaff, he showed more commitment to win than most of our players; and was eloquent in the MoTM bit after. He has intelligence and will make a good manager one day.

So we stutter up to second bottom, probably still requiring 4 from 6 points in the Ayr double header. 

If we survive relegation, it will largely down to Skippy not Caldwell IMO.

Edited by sandy

17 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

And I know where I'd rather have been............

It was splendid,  I can't lie but if it hadn't been a gift I'd never have gone. Seems great value if you're a drinker but like yourself I'm not so right now I'm discovering what diet coke does to your bladder:drink2:

They do a good spread, only complaint from me was Robert Reid wasn't able to do his wee talk, I've heard it's very good. Wishing a Speedy recovery to him.

Scott McDonald came and accepted his player of the month and morn award. Spoke very eloquently, a future manager for someone I think.

Glad you enjoyed the hospitality and we eventually got the right result. Not sure where you normally go but if you are in the John Lambie stand, come and say hello. I am always in the same spot just behind the goals.