vs Alloa 20/4

elevenone

1 minute ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Yeah, I agree. It all adds to the difficulty in deciding his ability.

In his defence I think goalscoring had been identified as a major problem and he maybe panicked a bit as the clock was ticking and he grabbed at anything offered. I also think it is very rare for any manager to bring in so many players in one window and they all turn out a success.

Another issue is Joe Cardle. I think he was as good a signing as MacDonald and he really changes games when he comes on. I don't quite get his lack of time on the pitch.

Yeah, another question mark imho. Several games cardle has come on in he has change the play and we become more of an attacking threat. The same can be said of Fitzpatrick. All that said it could of course be that both have been carrying an injury of some sort buy we'll never know given the lack of news from the club and the p1ss poor interviewing if the manager staff and players.

For me, Caldwell has signed more positives than Archie did in the summer, as you rightly say when a club signs so many players like we did it'll be pretty much impossible to guarantee everyone being a star. Also just to counter that last almost imperceptible positive comment about our manager and just for balance, I still think he's a c@ck. 

7 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

For me, Caldwell has signed more positives than Archie did in the summer, as you rightly say when a club signs so many players like we did it'll be pretty much impossible to guarantee everyone being a star. Also just to counter that last almost imperceptible positive comment about our manager and just for balance, I still think he's a c@ck. 

Haha! Balance is important.

3 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Spot on. I agree with all of this.

While the battle rages on here between those that want Caldwell out and those that think he’s fantastic I just cant decide.

At the start of the season Archiebald had run his course and the team was a shambles. Caldwell came in and everyone wanted him to succeed. However, he changed very little and the disastrous season continued. There was no new manager bounce and the poor results kept coming. The board was never going to sack him but he looked clueless.

His dealings in January were very good. He seemed to correctly identify the problems, shipped out most of the problem players and brought in better players. Results did improve.

Yet there is still something missing. We lack consistency A lot of people on here insisting we praise him for his half time changes on Saturday but for the third home game in a row he has started with the wrong team and tactics.

The MacDonald signing was an outstanding piece of business and I actually think he will improve the team further in the summer if we stay up. There just seems to be an arrogance and a stubbornness that’s preventing him from succeeding. Too often the team has looked uncertain of their roles and players who could make a difference have been warming the bench.

So will he keep us up? After Saturday I think yes. Will he get us promoted next season? I’m not so sure.

A pretty succinct appraisal of our season. All of the reasons why I dont have faith in Caldwell.

3 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

3) bring Elliot on as a replacement striker for Dools or Skippy rather than the largely ineffective Mansell or Roy.

Are you serious? Signed as a striker but wasn’t very good in that position hence why he was moved 

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Also just to counter that last almost imperceptible positive comment about our manager and just for balance, I still think he's a c@ck. 

Haha, TB. Just when I thought you were a measured, moderate voice on here; you come out with a rebellious comment. 

You are learning from grasshopper, the master of cynicism. ;)

12 minutes ago, sandy said:

Haha, TB. Just when I thought you were a measured, moderate voice on here; you come out with a rebellious comment. 

You are learning from grasshopper, the master of cynicism. ;)

Once again I find I have ran out of haha's. 

At least I was balanced?

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Are you serious? Signed as a striker but wasn’t very good in that position hence why he was moved 

Yes I'm serious, my estimation is Christie Elliot is a better striker than Mansell or Roy. Have you seen Mansell and Roy play 90 minutes in a strikers role this season? I have and it was not pleasing on the eye.

I don't think you understand where I am coming from, someone like Christie coming on for the last 20 minutes of a match replacing either Dools of Skippy would be a tactic, not a strategy …. something to change the shape of the team and unsettle the opposition. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sadly I too think Elliott is a better striker than Mansell or Roy. Surely tho' even an unfit Coulibaly would do a better substitute job up top than any of those three? 

I fear we will never find out how good he is in a PTFC shirt … with our luck, he will go to Morton or QoS next season and score 15 goals

50 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sadly I too think Elliott is a better striker than Mansell or Roy. Surely tho' even an unfit Coulibaly would do a better substitute job up top than any of those three? 

Elliot is versatile, a squad player if you like. But he usually gives his all.

12 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Elloit should be shown the door after this season imo, I imagine he’s one of the higher earners and I think we can do better. Been a great servant but times over.

I think we’d struggle to find a better right back. I genuinely believe him to be premiership quality, as he has proven. Since January he’s been one of our best performers and has come back strongly after a terrible loss of form and confidence earlier on in the season.

That was worth the journey. In the first half I couldn't believe my eyes. Mcginty striding forward like Beckenbaur. He played well the whole match.Two great half time subs changed the game. Well done Gary C.  I've always rated Harkins and was delighted with his performance, although 45 is probably all he has in him. I know he's an icon, but I wouldn't be playing Doolan from the start. Get rid of Elliot? I wouldn't. But I have stated before , what do I know.

Get into Ayr. Wish I was there.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:03 AM, That 1 jags fan said:

Elloit should be shown the door after this season imo, I imagine he’s one of the higher earners and I think we can do better. Been a great servant but times over.

Many people saying he was MotM last night..... never hides, a real athlete whose final ball isn't always the best. Was comfortable in the Premiership, been a great servant, and still young.

Get who to replace him next season? 

• Thanks 1