Jags v Ayr 23/27 April

Barney Rubble

Maybe Caldwell is just super cautious, and thinks like the defender he was.  But if he cannot learn from the last few games, and start the match with a more attacking team/formation then he would risk confirming what many on here suspect - that he is not a very good manager.

57 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Maybe Caldwell is just super cautious, and thinks like the defender he was.  But if he cannot learn from the last few games, and start the match with a more attacking team/formation then he would risk confirming what many on here suspect - that he is not a very good manager.

The reality now is that it is results before style, home or away. I don't disagree that the way the team plays is not wholly different from the way we played under Archie.....with one major difference.....we are winning away from home far more regularly. So he must be doing something right....?

38 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

The reality now is that it is results before style, home or away. I don't disagree that the way the team plays is not wholly different from the way we played under Archie.....with one major difference.....we are winning away from home far more regularly. So he must be doing something right....?

If only that was true. We are a place lower than when he took over.

I agree with @Thistleberight

12 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Bannigan was suspended on Saturday - so couldn’t start. I wouldn’t start Harkins as he has really struggled against fresh opposition.  

On what basis lenziejag?

I respectfully submit that his best performances have been in first half when he has started ie  v RC where he ran the game.

You're right if you mean he's an impact half time sub. That's true but he is also often excellent (imho) when he starts. That said when he starts he tends to tire 2nd half. So can we agree his stamina dictates he either plays 1st or 2nd half at this level?

1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

Spot on eljaggo. We were at our best in the premier when we were super fit and chased and harried as a unit. No one liked playing us cos we were right down their necks from start to finish. Never gave the opposition time on the ball  we were a fit and hungry young team. Attack and defend as a unit. We've not been doing that often enough under Caldwell.

Alloa did that to us 1st half on Saturday, RC did that to us 2nd half if the 2-4 game, dunfermline in the away fixture.......

You're right about him being cautious. I'm not saying I know better than an ex international footballer turned manager but we need to get right in about ayr x 2 and QoS. If we don't we loose and drop.

3 minutes ago, sandy said:

Really? Maybe cos it’s true and fans like you refuse to acknowledge it ;)

As was my statement that Caldwell has us winning games away from home.....do you really need me to acknowledge your negativity on each and every occasion....nb it's all about opinions. Annoying isn't it when it doesn't  chime with your own. 

40 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

As was my statement that Caldwell has us winning games away from home.....do you really need me to acknowledge your negativity on each and every occasion....nb it's all about opinions. Annoying isn't it when it doesn't  chime with your own. 

Your denial is not annoying to me. 

3 hours ago, dl1971 said:

We’ve won 3 away games in the league all season , the next 2 away games against Ayr and Q o South will probably tell us whether Gary Caldwell’s philosophy about football is right .

16 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

On what basis lenziejag?

I respectfully submit that his best performances have been in first half when he has started ie  v RC where he ran the game.

You're right if you mean he's an impact half time sub. That's true but he is also often excellent (imho) when he starts. That said when he starts he tends to tire 2nd half. So can we agree his stamina dictates he either plays 1st or 2nd half at this level?

It is an impression I have had in a few games that when he has started a game, it has largely passed him by as he couldn’t keep pace with younger fitter players. I have no chapter and verse examples. 

16 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Spot on eljaggo. We were at our best in the premier when we were super fit and chased and harried as a unit. No one liked playing us cos we were right down their necks from start to finish. Never gave the opposition time on the ball  we were a fit and hungry young team. Attack and defend as a unit. We've not been doing that often enough under Caldwell.

Alloa did that to us 1st half on Saturday, RC did that to us 2nd half if the 2-4 game, dunfermline in the away fixture.......

You're right about him being cautious. I'm not saying I know better than an ex international footballer turned manager but we need to get right in about ayr x 2 and QoS. If we don't we loose and drop.

Alloa only did it for 15 mins at the start and then for 5 or 10 mins at the end.  

13 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

We’ve won 3 away games in the league all season , the next 2 away games against Ayr and Q o South will probably tell us whether Gary Caldwell’s philosophy about football is right .

At least the away results have seen an improvement under Caldwell.

2 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Alloa only did it for 15 mins at the start and then for 5 or 10 mins at the end.  

We must have been either watching the game in opposing dimensions or I was very very drunk.

Alloa chased and harried us all over the park 1st half. I didn't say they played us off the park and were creating chance after chance. My point is they didn't give us time on the ball, chased and harried, got right in about us so we struggled to play through them. 

Your point re the first 15 and last 10 is valid but you are, I presume making the point that they played better than us and created more than we did in those two time frames. That's not the point I made.

18 minutes ago, allyo said:

Okay, let's throw it out there.

Who refuses to acknowledge that we are a place lower than when Caldwell took over?

The old saying 'its not where you start, its where you finish'. With 3 games to go we need 2 wins to stay up, hope we get them and take stock in close season. If we stay up, I have no doubt Caldwell will be our manager next season. If this is the case, it should be with the caveat we are challenging for promotion next season.

• Like 2

Cadlwells tactics are in general limited. Whilst he changed the tactics to get more possession higher up the park and limit Alloa's ability to pass through midfield he never really changed anything tactically that created more chances for us.

In attack he is still largely dependent on individuals producing moments of magic rather than a formation switch to say wingers who get to the byline and put in crosses and cutbacks or trying to get faster players around the edge of the 18 yard line who move defenders out of position or put on a larger target men to cause choas in the penalty box. When he has the indiviudal talent of McDonald, Cardle, Doolan and Fitzpatrick available it should work on most occassions but when he relied on Storey and an off form Doolan before Christmas it struggled.

In defense he again doesn't appear to have a cohesive plan. Its not like when we lose the ball we as a unit press to win it back asap or as a unit drop back to our defensive third or we mark off the opposition or defend zones. Its looks at this moment like the plan is try and win the first ball in the air and if that doen't work we tend to panic. It relies on our defenders winning their battles agains their opposite number. If they do as per McGinty on Saturday it works if they don't as per Anderson and Saunders v ICT we struggle.

The potential problem in Caldwell's approach next season is that we are unlikely to be able to pay the same wages next year so are we going to be able to keep McDonald, Cardle, Anderson etc if not we need a system of play that compensates for lesser talents.

Alloa in contrast had a clear plan for defense and attack. In attack they look to Flannigan to move the team up the park and the attack down the wings to allow for a cross to a target man. When that fails its route 1 to a target man and then try to play of the scraps. In defense they start defending 25 yards from goal and look to leave almost no space behind. A system designed to make the best of the talents they have.

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

We must have been either watching the game in opposing dimensions or I was very very drunk.

Alloa chased and harried us all over the park 1st half. I didn't say they played us off the park and were creating chance after chance. My point is they didn't give us time on the ball, chased and harried, got right in about us so we struggled to play through them. 

Your point re the first 15 and last 10 is valid but you are, I presume making the point that they played better than us and created more than we did in those two time frames. That's not the point I made.

It wasn’t how I saw it. I agree with you that for those 2 periods they took the game to us. In the 1st half after they scored, they sat back and let us try to break them down, which we couldn’t do.

Laukat,

" In attack he is still largely dependent on individuals producing moments of magic rather than a formation switch to say wingers who get to the byline and put in crosses and cutbacks or trying to get faster players around the edge of the 18 yard line who move defenders out of position or put on a larger target men to cause choas in the penalty box. When he has the indiviudal talent of McDonald, Cardle, Doolan and Fitzpatrick available it should work on most occassions but when he relied on Storey and an off form Doolan before Christmas it struggled. "

Moments of magic are what most goals are.

Discuss.

;-)

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

It wasn't the first time he has started with the wrong tactics.

A common trait among most managers. They get it wrong. They react. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It worked on Saturday unless I'm missing something?

41 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It wasn’t how I saw it. I agree with you that for those 2 periods they took the game to us. In the 1st half after they scored, they sat back and let us try to break them down, which we couldn’t do.

Yes, they did but they chased and harried us when we were on the ball. Closed us down and made it very difficult for us to break them open hence why we went in at half time down 0-1.

My point being, again, please pay attention, I shall not repeat it again, we have not been doing that, closing teams down when they have the ball, not letting them settle, being all over them. You don't need to have possession of the ball to play football.