Jags v Ayr 23/27 April

Barney Rubble

If the team will treat the 2 games against Ayr united as simply one game, then we are one up at halftime and there is still a job to do.

If the team can perform with the same skills and workrate as last nights match we should run out worthy winners on Saturday.

That would be good for the obvious reason already discussed but to succeed after a season where we, as a club, have underperformed will be appreciated by what I hope is a good crowd [maybe 4000+??] This means the team can applaud the fans …. and 'happy clappers' like me can applaud them … and we go into the close season not satisfied, but relieved.

Hopefully a good end to the season will allow up to draw a line under 2018/2019 and move onwards and upwards.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

If the team will treat the 2 games against Ayr united as simply one game, then we are one up at halftime and there is still a job to do.

If the team can perform with the same skills and workrate as last nights match we should run out worthy winners on Saturday.

That would be good for the obvious reason already discussed but to succeed after a season where we, as a club, have underperformed will be appreciated by what I hope is a good crowd [maybe 4000+??] This means the team can applaud the fans …. and 'happy clappers' like me can applaud them … and we go into the close season not satisfied, but relieved.

Hopefully a good end to the season will allow up to draw a line under 2018/2019 and move onwards and upwards.

Also worth remembering that when we were promoted in season 2012-2013 there was only something like £500 difference per league place in the first division- I think it’s now nearer to £20,000 which could be money towards trying to get guys like McDonald Spittal etc to stay 

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

If the team treat them as simply one game then they'll be happy with a draw on Saturday. That's not what we want!

#morepedantry

2 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I ran out of likes etc. Although I'm no lover (yet) of our manager I do still and always will love Thistle, so yes. Get the job finished and we can all move on to next season.

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Just trying to make sure he got the point. Not my fault he's lacking in understanding. Just skim over it juggernaut, let it wash over

Just for clarity - I didn’t misunderstand.  I had a different view about how Alloa played. Don’t be condescending!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allyo said:

If the team treat them as simply one game then they'll be happy with a draw on Saturday. That's not what we want!

#morepedantry

Aye, I could accuse you of being pedantic, but I also understand exactly what you mean. If we manage to stay in the Championship for next season I would really like to see Thistle 'finish teams off' in that when we are the better team in a match, we convert that domination into goals. 

Imagine if we had made it 3-0 against Ross County? and that last game against a frankly lousy Dunfermline team we should have run in 4 or more goals.

Another thing that is on my wish list is that I never hear Liam McLeod [BBC Scotland commentator] patronise the way we play ever again.

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

So onwards to Saturday. Who knows what Caldwell will go with. I'm assuming McDonald won't be able to play with concussion? Hopefully an aggressive attack minded team. Cannae wait.

Not for the first time this season, this game can't come soon enough for me. A sign of confidence possibly - hope it's not false confidence!

Time will tell.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

I do agree. Morton aside, have we had any comfortable league wins this season? Like, the kind that you can properly enjoy the last ten minutes.  I can't think of any.

Alloa, after McDonald put the game to bed, and the Dunfermline match in December. Those aside, we haven't won any league games by more than one goal. 

32 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Alloa, after McDonald put the game to bed, and the Dunfermline match in December. Those aside, we haven't won any league games by more than one goal. 

Yeah, my anxiety issues.... I never really enjoy it unless it's at least three

Last night was the best perfromance I've seen from a thistle team since St Johnstone away in January 2018. Caldwell got his formation and tactics exactly right.

Playing 4 at the back with 2 wingers and Gordon in the number 10 slot behind the striker worked really well.

Gordon was in such a forward position was a revelation last night, Harkins strolled the game and McGinty dominated in the air. Elliot defended really well and didn't jump into tackles. We actually had a functioning balanced midfield last night which has been posted missing all season.

Special mention would go to Spittal. Versus his Alloa his efforts to compete for the ball in either tackles or headers was weak. When he came off the bench last night he was clearly very fired up and fully committed to all tackles.

If Caldwell continues to deliver this type of formation, tactics and performance he will change my opinion of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Very mature

Your clearly not getting the humour. Of course I could have risen to the bait but elected to maintain a humorous tone. 

Perhaps this is your own particular brand I don't get it:P

5 minutes ago, laukat said:

Last night was the best perfromance I've seen from a thistle team since St Johnstone away in January 2018. Caldwell got his formation and tactics exactly right.

Playing 4 at the back with 2 wingers and Gordon in the number 10 slot behind the striker worked really well.

Gordon was in such a forward position was a revelation last night, Harkins strolled the game and McGinty dominated in the air. Elliot defended really well and didn't jump into tackles. We actually had a functioning balanced midfield last night which has been posted missing all season.

Special mention would go to Spittal. Versus his Alloa his efforts to compete for the ball in either tackles or headers was weak. When he came off the bench last night he was clearly very fired up and fully committed to all tackles.

If Caldwell continues to deliver this type of formation, tactics and performance he will change my opinion of him.

Thanks laukat, always good to read about a well organised Thistle team. Hope we  keep it up for the last 2 games, see where we end up. Will be glad to see the end of this season. Hopefully Caldwell has learnt lessons and we will be challenging at the top end of the table next season.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Yes the team was really up for it and gave everything for the full 90 minutes. No question marks over fitness.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

15 minutes ago, dunmorejag said:

Yes the team was really up for it and gave everything for the full 90 minutes. No question marks over fitness.

Thanks for the updates, always great to get opinion from those who were there. Even more gutted I didn't make it. Was due to family illness, James Sanderson would have ripped me a new one were he still with us.