Jags v Ayr 23/27 April

Barney Rubble

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Spittal has contributed more than Doolan this season 

keown surely should be as good as gone

Going to defend Blair Spittal a bit , this season I’ve seen him play right back , right winger , Centre midfield and as a No 10 behind the Centre forward, does anybody know his best position ?

Caldwell seems to think he’s a tactical genius by moving players around different positions and trying different formations.

He’s not 

16 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Going to defend Blair Spittal a bit , this season I’ve seen him play right back , right winger , Centre midfield and as a No 10 behind the Centre forward, does anybody know his best position ?

Caldwell seems to think he’s a tactical genius by moving players around different positions and trying different formations.

He’s not 

It was the same under Archie and at United. Spittal is a jack of all trades but a master of none.

Agree Caldwell's tactics don't help any of the players. He keeps on trying to come up with tactical tweaks that he thinks will catch the opposition off guard and instead just confuse our players.

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

There's the difference between the managers - us fighting for survival under Caldo the Clown, Ayr cruising into the playoffs under Bunter.

Fan-bois are a but quiet tonight (again) - who fancies our chances in the play-offs?

Why the play offs? No reason why results can't go our way next week. 

57 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Another infuriating thing about this then if the budget had such a difference- was our complete incompetence at getting someone like Shankland on a pre contract last season as he was out of contract. Financially we could have offered much more than Ayr. I’ve made it clear how bad many of Archie’s signings were but could the likes of maxwell or Britton who are also involved with signings not had the sense to point Archie in that direction- it would have probably saved his job if they had

I'm getting a deja vu feeling here. But once again, TL, we were still in the play offs when Shankland signed a new contract at Ayr. We tried to buy him over the summer but our not insignificant offer was knocked back. I honestly can't see any player anywhere signing a pre contract with a top tier club that didn't have a status proviso built in.  So that's academic.

There's no shortage of specifics on which we can slate the Club and/or the management over. You're picking one where both were blameless.

Just throwing my tuppence worth in re that debacle I watched today. Dire, just dire. After the goal we sh@t it. Pass Mark's for sneddon and Elliott. Gordon disappeared after he scored, they all did. Surely we have better than storey. The managers tactical inexperience was exposed today. Overrun in midfield and no solution provided. We're back in trouble again from a winning position. Everytime you think we've turned a corner.........:frantic:

Back to square one with this team, why are they so unpredictable, and not in a good way fuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm getting a deja vu feeling here. But once again, TL, we were still in the play offs when Shankland signed a new contract at Ayr. We tried to buy him over the summer but our not insignificant offer was knocked back. I honestly can't see any player anywhere signing a pre contract with a top tier club that didn't have a status proviso built in.  So that's academic.

There's no shortage of specifics on which we can slate the Club and/or the management over. You're picking one where both were blameless.

I’m sure Shankland didn’t sign a new contract till about a week after the playoffs 

My complete bafflement at Gary Caldwell's tenure continues.

I still say that if we survive then he has achieved something, probably as much as I'd have hoped for.

And statistically we're in as good a position to stay up as we've been all season. But since when did statistics count for anything.

I'm not going to defend anything about today (apart from the other results, which were great).

I'm just waiting and hoping.

3 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Ayr United manager Ian McCall: "We've played Partick Thistle five times this season and beaten them four times and we've got a third of their budget.

perhaps McCall is touting himself to replace Caldwell......saying come and get me (if I don’t get Ayr promotion)

I hope so. 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I’m sure Shankland didn’t sign a new contract till about a week after the playoffs 

I’m sure you’ve literally been told this is wrong multiple times. Pinning blame on Archibald for not signing a player we were never going to sign is just drivel. 

Let's cuts to the chase here. The players were abysmal. They should take the kings shares of the blame. They bottled it for reasons we will never know. Yep storey a major part of the blame game but the entire team were gash. That includes Fitzpatrick who I would excuse due to his inexperience. Easy to blame Caldwell but the players let us down today. Fact.

8 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Let's cuts to the chase here. The players were abysmal. They should take the kings shares of the blame. They bottled it for reasons we will never know. Yep storey a major part of the blame game but the entire team were gash. That includes Fitzpatrick who I would excuse due to his inexperience. Easy to blame Caldwell but the players let us down today. Fact.

The players couldn’t give a monkeys about letting the fans down. They are all spoiled prima donnas more interested in their hairdos and tattoos. Fact

17 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

To what extent is Caldwell to blame for not motivating the players / ensuring they didn’t bottle it? 

16 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

To what extent is Caldwell to blame for not motivating the players / ensuring they didn’t bottle it? 

No idea. The manager has a degree of culpability but sometimes your work force is just shit. We were that today. It does look like that MacDonald being out was a bigger factor than I thought. That said our midfield in particular was dreadful. No matter what our league position does not lie. We are not  a good team for a lot of different reasons. I'm still clinging on to the hope we will avoid the play offs. After that let the real blood letting begin....

1 hour ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I’m sure you’ve literally been told this is wrong multiple times. Pinning blame on Archibald for not signing a player we were never going to sign is just drivel. 

No need to pin blame for him on that when there’s plenty other awful signings that the blame can be pinned on him for

5 hours ago, laukat said:

Caldwell started with the same formation as Tuesday night and for the first 20 minutes we were comfortable and then for reasons unknown switched Gordon with Spittal. Spittal doesn't have the ability to make runs into the box beyond the strikers so the Ayr defence then had nothing to fear and in turn they started dominating terrority and possesion.

At halftime he should have taken off Storey for Doolan and Spittal for Fitzpatrick. Instead we had to wait until Ayr eventually scored before he decied to sub Harkins and Cardle for Doolan and Fitzpatrick.Only win Mansell came on did we offer a minor threat and that was largely just due to his aerial presence.

I never want to see Miles Storey in a thistle shirt again. How on earth Caldwell thought he was a better option than Doolan, Mansell or playing with 10 men I do not know.

Blair Spittal getting player of the season sums up our season. A player who only plays about 1 in 4 games and who repeadtly hides. His performance today was exactly the same as the performances he gave last season.

I notice Caldwell says the players weren't good anough and need to "stand up" next week. He needs to take responsibility for the selections, tactics and subs he made today as he hindered the team today. Not confident about next week.

Good point. Doesn't do much for some of the younger players confidence, when he slates the entire playing squad like that. Sneddon had one of his best games, Mansell tried at least as did fitzpatrick. However, no hint whatsoever, that he may be even slightly responsible for such an abject display. Terrible man management. 

6 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

No need to pin blame for him on that when there’s plenty other awful signings that the blame can be pinned on him for

If we want to analyse why we didn’t sign certain players, I think the blame would extend beyond Archie. One example being the lad Stewart who went to Ross county. If we concentrate on players we could have signed others come into the blame game. 

9 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Ran outta likes. Good summation of the 90 minutes.

There's a few players heading back to their parent clubs I won't miss. Thought Anderson surpassed previous poor performances yesterday and McGinty was back to his past worst by way of distribution. We are making this so hard for ourselves but despite it all will be at qos on Saturday, hope they have a de fib  at the ground:dancing:

3 hours ago, jaf said:

If we want to analyse why we didn’t sign certain players, I think the blame would extend beyond Archie. One example being the lad Stewart who went to Ross county. If we concentrate on players we could have signed others come into the blame game. 

Exactly. TL continually using an example of a contracted player we tried to sign but couldn't kinda defeats the purpose of a valid opinion that not many would disagree with.