Jags v Ayr 23/27 April

Barney Rubble

On the way to the game, looking at the teamsheet on my phone, my thoughts were.....wtf? In my view, yesterday's result was fairly inevitable given the line up and the waiting until the shit hit the fan before the subs were made. I've gone, in a few days, from thinking GC should be given a chance at rebuilding a team for promotion to thinking he's clueless and needs his arse booted out the door.

To top that, I went to see Avengers: Endgame with my boys after the game and that was shite too. 

A crap Saturday.

• Like 1

Caldwell got the team wrong today. Both Mcginty and Anderson struggled together.  We missed Mcmillan and his mobility at the back. He must be back next week, 

Harkins was asked to play 3 games in a week and I think it showed. 

The two most experienced players caused the goal, Anderson with a crazy attempt to pass back to Sneddon and Harkins lackluster attempt to block Muirhead.  Anderson was not great at the first goal either. 

Was there any plan on how to combat Moffat? He drifted into the space between midfield and defense and nobody seemed to follow him. Also, he seemed to win every header against out two center backs. 

One thing we need to sort out for next season is a good defensive midfielder. The balance of the side is wrong with all ball players and no steel/tacklers. 

10 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

On the way to the game, looking at the teamsheet on my phone, my thoughts were.....wtf? In my view, yesterday's result was fairly inevitable given the line up and the waiting until the shit hit the fan before the subs were made. I've gone, in a few days, from thinking GC should be given a chance at rebuilding a team for promotion to thinking he's clueless and needs his arse booted out the door.

To top that, I went to see Avengers: Endgame with my boys after the game and that was shite too. 

A crap Saturday.

We had similar Saturdays!!!

In that when I heard Miles Storey was to take the position of loan striker I almost choked on my pre-match coffee. I thought I could understand CG's tactics a bit if he had used Storey for the odd 'route one football' attack and then switched him back to his normal 'run like buggery down the wings and then fail to deliver any sort of cross ball whatsoever' sort of play, but no .. it seemed that Storey was preferred to Doolan in the loan striker position … that I find mystifying.

I thought Ayr United were by far the better team, much more comfortable in the passing game, and would play the pressing game whenever they did not have possession. In the last 10 minutes of the game Ayr United visibly started to tire, and they still were better than Thistle, that should worry the management team.

On a positive note, I did not go to see Avengers, Endgame so my Saturday was marginally better than yours!!

16 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Harkins was asked to play 3 games in a week and I think it showed. 

That's got to be the understatement of the season. There's only two reasons I can come up with why Caldwell started Harkins yesterday. Either he somehow thinks the guy is fit enough or he anticipated Ayr would be playing at a leisurely pace (going thru the motions). 

btw it confuses me somewhat how when you've got a midweek game folk refer to a player playing three games in a week. I don't think I've ever heard anyone referring to a player who plays on consecutive saturdays as having played two games in a week.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That's got to be the understatement of the season. There's only two reasons I can come up with why Caldwell started Harkins yesterday. Either he somehow thinks the guy is fit enough or he anticipated Ayr would be playing at a leisurely pace (going thru the motions). 

btw it confuses me somewhat how when you've got a midweek game folk refer to a player playing three games in a week. I don't think I've ever heard anyone referring to a player who plays on consecutive saturdays as having played two games in a week.

Generally the Saturday is seen as the 7th day these days. So you aren't playing two games in a week!!!!

12 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Generally the Saturday is seen as the 7th day these days. So you aren't playing two games in a week!!!!

Ah, I see. Some people obviously take the works of J.W. Lennon* too literally. 

*edited to add my legal team have been in contact and strongly advise I amend the above to read "the works of J.W. Lennon and Sir J.P. McCartney".

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

We had similar Saturdays!!!

In that when I heard Miles Storey was to take the position of loan striker I almost choked on my pre-match coffee. I thought I could understand CG's tactics a bit if he had used Storey for the odd 'route one football' attack and then switched him back to his normal 'run like buggery down the wings and then fail to deliver any sort of cross ball whatsoever' sort of play, but no .. it seemed that Storey was preferred to Doolan in the loan striker position … that I find mystifying.

I thought Ayr United were by far the better team, much more comfortable in the passing game, and would play the pressing game whenever they did not have possession. In the last 10 minutes of the game Ayr United visibly started to tire, and they still were better than Thistle, that should worry the management team.

On a positive note, I did not go to see Avengers, Endgame so my Saturday was marginally better than yours!!

I genuinely thought GC was planning to have Cardle as the sole striker. That would have been baffling enough, but when the game kicked off and Storey was indeed in the sole striker position, my brain couldn't cope with it.  None of us are football managers, but you really don't need to be a tactical genius to know that just wasn't going to work. Two absolute sitters missed by Storey and the usual crap first touch, falling over the ball etc. I absolutely have no doubt Fitzy would have slotted at least one of those chances away.

7 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

I genuinely thought GC was planning to have Cardle as the sole striker. That would have been baffling enough, but when the game kicked off and Storey was indeed in the sole striker position, my brain couldn't cope with it.  None of us are football managers, but you really don't need to be a tactical genius to know that just wasn't going to work. Two absolute sitters missed by Storey and the usual crap first touch, falling over the ball etc. I absolutely have no doubt Fitzy would have slotted at least one of those chances away.

The problem I see now for this game against QoS is the fact they were turned over by RC. I watched that game on TV on Friday night and QoS were by far the better team in the early part of the match, there is every chance they could win well against us if this manager does not have the team set up correctly.

Given what I saw on Saturday, I am now seriously concerned

I’ll not bang  on too much about the game yesterday: other than to say replacing Macdonald with Storey is the football equivalent of replacing a silk pores with a sow’s ear. The minute that I found  out the team I feared the worst. 

To be fair it wasn’t Miles who cost us the game. That accolade can be shared with the Manager, the midfield and the defence. The latter being particularly culpable.

No point in holding another post-mortem into yet another self-inflicted injury. We’ve just got to hope GC  leans from his mistakes and puts a team out at Palmerston that will beat QoS.

The defeat wasn't down to storey. Easy to blame him and for the record I think he's useless also but.....the entire midfield including bannigan and spittal were slow and pitiful. Just like Harkins. Cardle created the goal and then disappeared. Anderson looked unfit.  Mcginty elliot and penrice avrage to poor. So let's get some balance here. Personally I'd put Slater back probably for Harkins. McDonald has to start. Apart from that I can't see too many changes. QOS have to win. May play into our hands on the counter. One can but hope.

7 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

The defeat wasn't down to storey. Easy to blame him and for the record I think he's useless also but.....the entire midfield including bannigan and spittal were slow and pitiful. Just like Harkins. Cardle created the goal and then disappeared. Anderson looked unfit.  Mcginty elliot and penrice avrage to poor. So let's get some balance here. Personally I'd put Slater back probably for Harkins. McDonald has to start. Apart from that I can't see too many changes. QOS have to win. May play into our hands on the counter. One can but hope.

It is true to say Storey wasn't the only one to blame.But if he had taken at least one of his chances I don't think we would have lost. Unfortunately for Thistle Storey has never been able to recreate his form with Inverness where he got into double figures goal wise, and in his time at Firhill the unforgettable performances from him are vastly outweighed by the forgettable one's. Again he is not the only one that can be said about.

3 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

It is true to say Storey wasn't the only one to blame.But if he had taken at least one of his chances I don't think we would have lost. Unfortunately for Thistle Storey has never been able to recreate his form with Inverness where he got into double figures goal wise, and in his time at Firhill the unforgettable performances from him are vastly outweighed by the forgettable one's. Again he is not the only one that can be said about.

Storey is the classic example of the exception on one goodish season blinding everyone to the fact that it was the exception.....one season of 11 goals and 10 in the rest of his career including one  season of zero goals and two of one goal

he can’t score and can’t cross .....he’s dreadful

29 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Storey is the classic example of the exception on one goodish season blinding everyone to the fact that it was the exception.....one season of 11 goals and 10 in the rest of his career including one  season of zero goals and two of one goal

he can’t score and can’t cross .....he’s dreadful

Not disagreeing for one moment but a shocking indictment on yesterday's performance was his showing was by no means the worst. 

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

To be fair to you, our recent away record does point to us being better on the counter.

• Like 1

We rely on McDonald for everything as yesterday showed.

Skill, tactics, encouragement, passion, getting into the heads of the opposition,refereeing the game,bravery,common sense.

Ayr certainly played much better in the 2nd game with their young debutant outstanding and their old striker controlling our 2 static CB’s. But the difference in our performance was massive. We (sort of)strolled the 1st game with Banzo and the defence terrific. Yesterday these same players were duds.

Doolan and Fitzy were even worse than those they replaced although the big man put himself about quite well and should have scored from a great move.

God help us if McDonald is unfit on Saturday but if he is, we should win.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

A crap Saturday.

Like like like like

6 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

The problem I see now for this game against QoS is the fact they were turned over by RC. I watched that game on TV on Friday night and QoS were by far the better team in the early part of the match, there is every chance they could win well against us if this manager does not have the team set up correctly.

Given what I saw on Saturday, I am now seriously concerned

Well out sir. I share your concern. Personally I don't think we've a hope in hello of winning v qos. I fear for our future I really do. Yesterday was yet more evidence that just cos someone is an international player and plays for top club sides will a good manager make. Get him tae f@#$

12 hours ago, jaf said:

If we want to analyse why we didn’t sign certain players, I think the blame would extend beyond Archie. One example being the lad Stewart who went to Ross county. If we concentrate on players we could have signed others come into the blame game. 

We were in for Stewart and Brian Graham but both choose County. 

40 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Well out sir. I share your concern. Personally I don't think we've a hope in hello of winning v qos. I fear for our future I really do. Yesterday was yet more evidence that just cos someone is an international player and plays for top club sides will a good manager make. Get him tae f@#$

Listened to Caldwell’s interview on Jagszone , so I wouldn’t worry too much , Gary says the league table is irrelevant!