Jags v Ayr 23/27 April

Barney Rubble

Watching Ayr v Ross County right now.

Both teams are absolutely howling. Ayr have no confidence at all, despite their early goal.

First priority for us is clearly to win against Alloa tomorrow, but we really should have enough structure, discipline and frankly professionalism to beat Ayr once if not twice next week.

Edited by Barney Rubble

10 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Both teams are absolutely howling. Ayr have no confidence at all, despite their early goal.

First priority for us is clearly to win against Alloa tomorrow, but we really should have enough,, structure , discipline and frankly professionalism to beat Ayr once if not twice next week.

tis the structure, discipline and professionalism bits that worry me :(

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

First priority for us is clearly to win against Alloa tomorrow, but we really should have enough structure, discipline and frankly professionalism to beat Ayr once if not twice next week.

And have we really shown that all season? Ayr have pumped us 3 times this season. Have we shown enough to suggest we can beat them? And Cou ty oumped us recently at Firhill and we drew at County against a lacklustre mob????

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End said:

And have we really shown that all season? Ayr have pumped us 3 times this season. Have we shown enough to suggest we can beat them? And Cou ty oumped us recently at Firhill and we drew at County against a lacklustre mob????

Dross are immaterial as obviously we won't play them again this season.

Ayr are demonstrating tonight that they are there to be beaten. They are not efficient on the ball.

Therefore it's up to us to exploit that weakness when the time comes. After we've beaten Alloa hopefully.

This isn't the Ayr team that pitched up at Firhill last August. Similarly, we will not be the shower of incompetents that faced them in the same games.

14 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Ayr are demonstrating tonight that they are there to be beaten. They are not efficient on the ball.

Therefore it's up to us to exploit that weakness when the time comes. After we've beaten Alloa hopefully.

This isn't the Ayr team that pitched up at Firhill last August. Similarly, we will not be the shower of incompetents that faced them in the same games.

I think you give us too much praise. It's a dreadfully poor league and we are bottom of it. Says it all.

2 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

I think you give us too much praise. It's a dreadfully poor league and we are bottom of it. Says it all.

Can't argue with too much of that, other than that I didn't give us praise of any sort.

Wanting us to be professional is hardly praise - it's a basic requirement of winning a game of football.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Can't argue with too much of that, other than that I didn't give us praise of any sort.

Wanting us to be professional is hardly praise - it's a basic requirement of winning a game of football.

Professional? A trait we haven't shown for two years?? And no sign of showing it whatsoever. Face it we are strong favourites to go down.

30 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I’m hoping Dundee United win tomorrow so that Ross County will look to beat queen of the south to seal there win next weekend.  A draw or loss by the Arabs means Ross County seal their win tomorrow.  Given the size of the United budget neilson has been nothing better than distinctly average so wouldn’t be surprised if they did lose tomorrow 

11 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Professional? A trait we haven't shown for two years?? And no sign of showing it whatsoever. Face it we are strong favourites to go down.

We will be if we lose tomorrow for sure.

You and I agree on most things on here GRE, so let's see how tomorrow plays out first.

Tonight our fate is still in our own hands.

Hang fire for at least 24 hours. Then an informed opinion on your last assertion will become obvious to all.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

We will be if we lose tomorrow for sure.

You and I agree on most things on here GRE, so let's see how tomorrow plays out first.

Tonight our fate is still in our own hands.

Hang fire for at least 24 hours. Then an informed opinion on your last assertion will be obvious to all.

I've been hanging fire for two years and nothing. This club is in the grubbier and going into the absolute gutter. Even if we win tomorrow I have no confidence in this team or manager to follow it up with more success.

7 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

I've been hanging fire for two years and nothing. This club is in the grubbier and going into the absolute gutter. Even if we win tomorrow I have no confidence in this team or manager to follow it up with more success.

Your first two sentences are correct and I fully underline them.

Securing safety in this division is the priority right now, though.

Once that is achieved, I want a red hot poker shoved up Caldwell's landing bay.

Edited by Barney Rubble

23 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

How much confidence do you have in the board?

11 minutes ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Sneddon

Mcmillan  Anderson McGinty Penrice

Bannigan  Harkins

Cardle                           Fitzpatrick    

McDonald  Doolan

This. Should have been our starting line up for the Alloa game.  Only doubt for me is do you start Gordon and bring on Harkins for the last 30 minutes?

However I expect we'll see 3-5-2 again.

7 hours ago, laukat said:

This. Should have been our starting line up for the Alloa game.  Only doubt for me is do you start Gordon and bring on Harkins for the last 30 minutes?

Agree almost, I’d have Saunders in defence.

7 hours ago, laukat said:

Bannigan was suspended on Saturday - so couldn’t start. I wouldn’t start Harkins as he has really struggled against fresh opposition.  

2 hours ago, Vinnyjag said:

Looked like McMillan got a sore one on Saturday and I assume Christie was injured at HT, therefore could be s back four of Saunders RB, Anderson McGinty and Penrice.

I assumed Christie was purely tactical, but maybe you're correct?

10 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Sneddon

Mcmillan  Anderson McGinty Penrice

Bannigan  Harkins

Cardle                           Fitzpatrick    

McDonald  Doolan

I would play Spittal in behind Mcdonald and put Doolan on the bench.

16 hours ago, laukat said:

We went 4132 2nd half, with harkins playing in front of the back two centre halfs. Every time harkins has been deployed in that position with Slater and bannigan,  cardle of fitzy, or a combination, we have looked so much more composed and creative.

I've banged on about this a few times that Caldwell needs to decide his strongest team and formation and stick with it so the players adapt and learn. Bit late for that now of course. Imho Caldwell isn't a good enough manager to be so clever he watches teams we are going to play and sets up cleverly to usurp them, over come them and win. He and we are a million miles away from being that good a team. He has over complicated things way too often this season.

Same starting line up as started the second half on Saturday for me