Jags v Ayr 23/27 April

Barney Rubble

So much for all the GC doubters

Post Christmas with his own signings it has been so much better

If AA had been booted post the 4-0 drubbing  - we would have been in the playoffs but if we do survive this year (and that now looks more likely) there's always  next season!

Had to watch the game from the wrong end of the pitch tonight as my mate's wee boy was doing the half time draw.

That was a gem of a goal from Shea Gordon.  Sean McGinty has had his fair share of stick on this forum from time to time

but following on from Saturday I thought he was excellent once again. 

6th place! What a difference a couple of wins makes.

Great win although few scary moments at end! Stating the obvious but what a difference keeping clean sheets make. Great finish for the goal and sneddon didn’t have save to make. Mcginty was solid again after bit of a shaky start. Fitzpatrick had quiet game but great result! Same again on Saturday and avoid any last day dramas!

Well deserved win. McGinty, Harkins and Cardle continued the form of last Saturday. Bannigan also excellent on his return and Spittal put in a real shift after replacing Cardle. Great finish from Gordon. The whole team pretty solid. We did sit a bit deep at times but we were always creating more than them on the break. Don't think Sneddon had to make a save all game. 

Support gave great backing throughout. Great to be able to celebrate at the end of the game with the players. Hopefully McDonald's head knock isn't too serious and we see him on Saturday. 

Great performance and fight from the whole team, Gordon should have got a second to calm but we got through in the end. I thought Hankins was superb, Gordon much better in the advanced role. McDonald was flattened by the keeper in the lead up to our goal, hopefully he’ll be fit for Saturday. Like him or not, GC got his team selection right tonight.

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

wonderful 3 points, would be good to hear a report from the guys who were at the match.

The manager gets it in the neck when he gets it wrong, so well done Gary Caldwell for getting this one right.

Should be a good game this coming Saturday, hopefully we can get 3 points and secure our league position?

Great 3 points , think Gary Caldwell gambled tonight with his line up , in contrast to his defensive team selection at home on Saturday .

Thought 2nd half we were under the cosh a bit , but I thought defensively Mcginty and Anderson were outstanding as was Christie Elliott.

Another 3 points on Saturday and we can put this season to bed and hopefully learn from it .

Full backs were brilliant, especially Christie who was MOM by some distance.

They moved the Celtic kid to his wing as he never threatened Jamesie, to be met with a very stubborn Elliot who blew all attackers away. Christie is very comfortable in a back 4.

McDonald was superb also and very brave at the goal as was the ref for not awarding a foul.

There was little attacking threat from us once McDonald departed but we never looked like conceding.

I was down at Ayr for the opening game of the season and in front a great thistle travelling support I saw one of the most disjointed and awful performances I had seen for many many years. All the new season enthusiasm was drained from me.

Tonight went some way to erasing that memory  in front of another great travelling support.

• Like 1

Just got the score before breakfast here in Oz. MY wife's response was happy for you love, but what about the woman waking up from 28 years in a coma. My goodness I have been in a coma all season. Wish I was going to Firhill this Saturday for the celebrations.

• Like 1

I'm sure a second goal for us and Ayr would've downed tools but it was a tad nervy as the game wore on. Don't think we saw the game out that well but thankfully Ayr showed little in front of goal. As said elsewhere Sneddon had little to do tonight. In contrast Doohan had to be very sharp and fast out his goal to deny us a couple of goals

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Yes, they did but they chased and harried us when we were on the ball. Closed us down and made it very difficult for us to break them open hence why we went in at half time down 0-1.

My point being, again, please pay attention, I shall not repeat it again, we have not been doing that, closing teams down when they have the ball, not letting them settle, being all over them. You don't need to have possession of the ball to play football. 

Jeezuz, talk about a scratched record-like obsessiveness.....

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Jeezuz, talk about a scratched record-like obsessiveness.....

Just trying to make sure he got the point. Not my fault he's lacking in understanding. Just skim over it juggernaut, let it wash over