Jags v Ayr 23/27 April

Barney Rubble

Partick Thistle manager Gary Caldwell: "I've not got the words to explain how frustrating and disappointing it is. We stopped playing, stopped running and stopped doing the simple things.

"Every player on the park wasn't good enough. Next week is going to be a very difficult game to play in and they have to be ready to stand up. It's in our hands and we know what we need to do."

Ayr United manager Ian McCall: "We've played Partick Thistle five times this season and beaten them four times and we've got a third of their budget.

"Luke McCowan's debut was as good a debut as I've seen. He was outstanding. I'm going to rest players next week - I need to."

Not liking the resting players bit as we need to be hoping Ayr help us out next week.

10 minutes ago, marco77 said:

McGinty lost out on easy headers to Moffat numerous times today, just one of the many frustrations this afternoon. 

Moffat a clever player always gives who  ever he's challenging a wee nudge before going for the header. Started well then done our ******* usual pass side to side with aimless balls into the box.. 

Felt we still had a chance to win  or get a draw but  he got the subs completely wrong  imo.. Harkins wasnt great great but think pushing him further up the park would have been a better option than hooking him.. As soon as we got to the box there was zero composure, the ball just got put out wide and our crosses were awful. Same with Cardle felt he should have stayed on for longer and storey should have been off for Doolan. 

As long as we get a point next week we stay up, I can't wait for this season to end couldn't get further to **** !!

31 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Some of these players will be back to their parent clubs anyway Bell , Anderson, Mcginty , Storey , Harkins , McMillan, Mansell , Ally Roy 

With probably the 3rd highest budget in the league after Ross County and Dundee Utd , surely we should have been able to build a team capable of competing at least for a play off place.

We’ve got to get a manager in to build a football team where players play in their right position every week , play a system that suits the players we’ve got at our disposal so they all know what job they have to do 

Ayr played us off the park today without 5 first team players 

Thanks for the response. What’s your thoughts on keeping Doolan?

Woeful... absolutely woeful! With exception of sneddon, there isn’t one player that I would be remotely concerned about never to see in thistle shirt again! Words can’t express my disgust at that display! Do the players understand they are playing for their jobs/ careers? Get them in tomorrow morning at 8 and run them into ground! 

Edited by Grubber8468

Ian McCall rightly highlights budgets...

but that aside how come we cannot do better in a game where we are fighting for our lives against a team who are in essence playing for nothing 

it beggars belief and the play offs are indeed looking likely after McCall's  'resting players' comment

J

Caldwell started with the same formation as Tuesday night and for the first 20 minutes we were comfortable and then for reasons unknown switched Gordon with Spittal. Spittal doesn't have the ability to make runs into the box beyond the strikers so the Ayr defence then had nothing to fear and in turn they started dominating terrority and possesion.

At halftime he should have taken off Storey for Doolan and Spittal for Fitzpatrick. Instead we had to wait until Ayr eventually scored before he decied to sub Harkins and Cardle for Doolan and Fitzpatrick.Only win Mansell came on did we offer a minor threat and that was largely just due to his aerial presence.

I never want to see Miles Storey in a thistle shirt again. How on earth Caldwell thought he was a better option than Doolan, Mansell or playing with 10 men I do not know.

Blair Spittal getting player of the season sums up our season. A player who only plays about 1 in 4 games and who repeadtly hides. His performance today was exactly the same as the performances he gave last season.

I notice Caldwell says the players weren't good anough and need to "stand up" next week. He needs to take responsibility for the selections, tactics and subs he made today as he hindered the team today. Not confident about next week.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Partick Thistle manager Gary Caldwell: "I've not got the words to explain how frustrating and disappointing it is. We stopped playing, stopped running and stopped doing the simple things.

"Every player on the park wasn't good enough. Next week is going to be a very difficult game to play in and they have to be ready to stand up. It's in our hands and we know what we need to do."

Ayr United manager Ian McCall: "We've played Partick Thistle five times this season and beaten them four times and we've got a third of their budget.

"Luke McCowan's debut was as good a debut as I've seen. He was outstanding. I'm going to rest players next week - I need to."

Not liking the resting players bit as we need to be hoping Ayr help us out next week.

There's the difference between the managers - us fighting for survival under Caldo the Clown, Ayr cruising into the playoffs under Bunter.

Fan-bois are a but quiet tonight (again) - who fancies our chances in the play-offs?

36 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Thanks for the response. What’s your thoughts on keeping Doolan?

Still would keep Doolan , not out of sentimental value , in a team playing to his and the teams strengths he’ll still score goals . 

It’s been a bad season for Doolan and our team but in my opinion he deserves another contract , he’s had 1 bad season out of 10 as his goal scoring record shows .

Goalscorers like Mccoist etc played till they were 37/38 , Kriss Doolan is only 32 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, laukat said:

Caldwell started with the same formation as Tuesday night and for the first 20 minutes we were comfortable and then for reasons unknown switched Gordon with Spittal. Spittal doesn't have the ability to make runs into the box beyond the strikers so the Ayr defence then had nothing to fear and in turn they started dominating terrority and possesion.

At halftime he should have taken off Storey for Doolan and Spittal for Fitzpatrick. Instead we had to wait until Ayr eventually scored before he decied to sub Harkins and Cardle for Doolan and Fitzpatrick.Only win Mansell came on did we offer a minor threat and that was largely just due to his aerial presence.

I never want to see Miles Storey in a thistle shirt again. How on earth Caldwell thought he was a better option than Doolan, Mansell or playing with 10 men I do not know.

Blair Spittal getting player of the season sums up our season. A player who only plays about 1 in 4 games and who repeadtly hides. His performance today was exactly the same as the performances he gave last season.

I notice Caldwell says the players weren't good anough and need to "stand up" next week. He needs to take responsibility for the selections, tactics and subs he made today as he hindered the team today. Not confident about next week.

Your comment about Spittal only having one good game in four, doesn’t say much about the rest of the squad such as Favourites like Doolan, Elliott etc 

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Still would keep Doolan , not out of sentimental value , in a team playing to his and the teams strengths he’ll still score goals . 

It’s been a bad season for Doolan and our team but in my opinion he deserves another contract , he’s had 1 bad season out of 10 as his goal scoring record shows .

Goalscorers like Mccoist etc played till they were 37/38 , Kriss Doolan is only 32 

Thanks for responding again. Because he has been so good previously is probably why  I’ve been so annoyed with him this season 

12 minutes ago, laukat said:

Therein lies the issue. The only time I can remember Caldwell taking responsibility for our performance was for the first half against Alloa. He has not ever appeared to take any responsibility for - or actually, even properly recognise - the abject situation he has taken us into.

He is a guy who clearly really wants to be a successful football manager and who talks the talk (plenty of Brendan Rodgers-esque talk about character, attitude and “difficult moments”), but who - for me at least - will not be a successful football manager at this club. He doesn’t have it. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 1

Ayr United manager Ian McCall: "We've played Partick Thistle five times this season and beaten them four times and we've got a third of their budget.

perhaps McCall is touting himself to replace Caldwell......saying come and get me (if I don’t get Ayr promotion)

Just now, JAG1970 said:

Ayr United manager Ian McCall: "We've played Partick Thistle five times this season and beaten them four times and we've got a third of their budget.

perhaps McCall is touting himself to replace Caldwell......saying come and get me (if I don’t get Ayr promotion)

If we go down our budget would be vastly reduced. And would he want to go to the third tier again?

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Your comment about Spittal only having one good game in four, doesn’t say much about the rest of the squad such as Favourites like Doolan, Elliott etc 

I'm probably being generous saying 1 in 4. More like a good 20 minutes in 1 of every 4 games he plays.

Not really fair to compare him to Doolan as Doolan hasn't started anywhere near the same amount games as Spittal. Dooland was rightly dropped in favour of McDonald.

I'm not a huge fan of Elliot and with McMillan injured there aren't many options but in fairness he has been solid in his last few games.

There are plenty of attacking midfield options available all season so how does a guy that keeps playing poorly constantly get picked? Why did Cardle get subbed today ahead of Spittal?

4 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

My thoughts too when I first read his comments.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Another infuriating thing about this then if the budget had such a difference- was our complete incompetence at getting someone like Shankland on a pre contract last season as he was out of contract. Financially we could have offered much more than Ayr. I’ve made it clear how bad many of Archie’s signings were but could the likes of maxwell or Britton who are also involved with signings not had the sense to point Archie in that direction- it would have probably saved his job if they had

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Another infuriating thing about this then if the budget had such a difference- was our complete incompetence at getting someone like Shankland on a pre contract last season as he was out of contract. Financially we could have offered much more than Ayr. I’ve made it clear how bad many of Archie’s signings were but could the likes of maxwell or Britton who are also involved with signings not had the sense to point Archie in that direction- it would have probably saved his job if they had

Agree with this 100%.  Are we making the same mistake again though for example with someone like Blair Henderson of Edinburgh City? 

• Like 1

I hope Spittal stays I think he's played his best football as the attacking midfielder behind 2 strikers.  

If we stay up I'd be tempted to ask Motherwell if we can have Shay Gordon again next season. . I prefer him to Slater he makes mistakes but he's a better all rounder.