Billy McNeill passed away

crazy davie

4 minutes ago, Blackpool Jags said:

Very sad news. Absolute respect for Billy McNeil.

Completely above the dross that gets to wear captains' armbands these days.

RIP Billy. 

I agree. I always had complete respect for him. A great leader.

I recall wanting to be like him after he scored a towering header vs The Pars in the cup final. As a child I was captivated by that goal

I have never had any feelings towards Celtic but, if they want to improve in Europe they need someone like him to lead them. Not a wee Ned like Brown.

A sad day for Scottish football indeed.

• Like 1

Many years ago, for a school project, we wrote letters to a number of football clubs asking for their views on our project.

From all the different clubs we wrote to, we only got one reply, a hand signed letter from Billy McNeil who was the Celtic manager at the time.

A true legend who will be sadly missed.

• Like 1

Sad indeed.

I remember as a kid in the early 1960s, reading that Billy McNeil and John Greig were great friend outside football. I remember being slightly shocked at that revelation - which says plenty about the state of the Scottish football then; part of the reason why I (and I suspect many on here) became Thistle fans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Sad indeed.

I remember as a kid in the early 1960s, reading that Billy McNeil and John Greig were great friend outside football. I remember being slightly shocked at that revelation - which says plenty about the state of the Scottish football then; part of the reason why I (and I suspect many on here) became Thistle fans.

Similar with Jim Baxter who was great friends with Billy, Paddy Crerand & Jimmy Johnstone.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:57 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Had the pleasure of meeting Billy on a good few occasions. As said a true gentleman, geat company and a genuinely all round decent man.  As said above, a football legend. 

RIP

I can vouch fo that myself.A complete and utter gentleman. My thoughts are with his wife Liz , his daughters and the rest of the family at this sad time, RIP Caesar.

Edited by stillresigned