Who's picking the team?

rustic

16 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

It's only in the last few days that I've realised: what an utter carthorse Storey is; what a complete clown Caldwell is; and the bizarre lengths the manager's fan bois will go to in defending him.

Why did it take you so long?

Storey is a faster runner than most other players which means he can get past people, but once he has the ball at his feet his is clueless.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17611841.stuart-bannigan-says-partick-thistle-players-now-know-who-they-can-trust-after-dressing-room-leak/

Nothing new really said.  Just the same things going around that it was Ally Roy and these team lineup things won’t affect the squad on Saturday.

Edited by Linlithgow Jag

15 minutes ago, Linlithgow Jag said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17611841.stuart-bannigan-says-partick-thistle-players-now-know-who-they-can-trust-after-dressing-room-leak/

Nothing new really said.  Just the same things going around that it was Ally Roy and these team lineup things won’t affect the squad on Saturday.

Thanks for the link Linlithgow. Good article with stuart saying everything you'd expect.

I for one, fully understand thise that are taking the position that this is yet another example of a struggling manager, struggling team and struggling club, but I've come round to it that this isn't as big a deal as I first thought. It's a strange tactic for the management team to be asking players for a team list but any manager needs to take account of what his/her staff think of their work mates. That information influences who works with whom. 

AND who the f$ck is ally Roy to be unsettling the club even further. It should never have got into the public domain. He's the real bad guy. I wouldn't mind so much if he was a good player.

On to Saturday, even though my stomach is churning at the thought and I'm slowly losing control of my bowel, I'm really looking forward to it. Mon jags:party:

32 minutes ago, Linlithgow Jag said:

I suppose that's what we should have expected from a man from Airdrie.

The weather in Dumfries on Saturday afternoon is forecast to be bright with light cloud and sunny intervals, a light to moderate breeze, and very little chance of rain. Temperature in the 10-12 degree range. 

Sounds like perfect conditions for a game of soccer.

Didn't want to be doing this 'fighting for our lives' stuff at the end of this season - had a bellyful of it at the end of last season - but I'm suddenly finding myself a bit more up for this.

'MON JAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Linlithgow Jag said:

That'll be the same Ally Roy I saw starring in the 0-8 reserves defeat to a side made up of Dundee Utd youngsters.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That'll be the same Ally Roy I saw starring in the 0-8 reserves defeat to a side made up of Dundee Utd youngsters.

His overall goalscoring record is 11 out of 85 games (and most of that is dross vs dross) which works out roughly at 4.4 goals per league season.

Another brilliant signing by Caldo. I'm shitting  myself in case some big club swoops him during the close season ...

This whole thing hammers home to me that the Management Team is out of their depth - if we must stick with Caldwell which seems likely i would like to see Brian Kerr removed from the first team and replaced with a more experienced coach - the whole SAS thing and now this along with other small issues strike me as being very amateurish and naive. Caldwell has not been keeping good council through these episodes - regardless of if he wants it or not the club can impose this on him. If he doesn’t like it then he can choose to leave - We need more experienced hands steering this ship at present not average “Junior” managers. Caldwell clearly needs help and drawing on the experience of a more experienced coach could make all the difference. 

On 5/1/2019 at 4:42 PM, Semi Nurainen said:

It's only in the last few days that I've realised: what an utter carthorse Storey is; what a complete clown Caldwell is; and the bizarre lengths the manager's fan bois will go to in defending him.

Me too mate.

5 hours ago, Firhill Pie said:

This whole thing hammers home to me that the Management Team is out of their depth - if we must stick with Caldwell which seems likely i would like to see Brian Kerr removed from the first team and replaced with a more experienced coach - the whole SAS thing and now this along with other small issues strike me as being very amateurish and naive. Caldwell has not been keeping good council through these episodes - regardless of if he wants it or not the club can impose this on him. If he doesn’t like it then he can choose to leave - We need more experienced hands steering this ship at present not average “Junior” managers. Caldwell clearly needs help and drawing on the experience of a more experienced coach could make all the difference. 

This. 

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You could say that Caldwell has been hoisted by his own Roypetard. 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:25 PM, Garscube Road End said:

The whole club is an utter mess from top to bottom.  The fall from grace has been absolutely spectacular.

The King of Spain is hardly in a position to windbag about how good a manager Caldo is – I remember his own pitiful attempts at managing the football side, we all know how that ended. Given that he is (allegedly) a trained lawyer the episode of the club publishing a potentially libellous article on Chesterfield then having to hastily and embarrassingly withdraw it seems now in, retrospect, a particularly apt prelude to Caldo’s reign of error.

His pyshe about us having a great ‘launch pad’ (I believe was the expression used – it could have been any one of a number of management double-plus-good-duck-speak clichés – ‘springboard’ and ‘leveraging’ spring to mind – from the Orwellian lexicon which [seemingly] still manages to dazzle many on here with its brilliance) would be funny if it wasn’t so appalling. He didn’t say if his launch pad had been tested for use under League One conditions. I mean, it may not work by the seaside; there might be too much ozone or something.

As for the Chairman – not only a Conservative and Unionist, but a failed one, I’m not even going to go there. And we now have a Rugby playing Cricketing gentleman assisting her with whisky and wellington boots issues – which is exactly what we needed (‘I went to a cricket match once, something almost happened’).

Looking at our striking options: who knows if Scipius will be here next year; Dools isn’t exactly cutting the mustard these days. Roy’s scoring average to date (11 out of 85 games against, frankly, mainly pyshe) means we can expect around 4 goals per league season from him. Mansell looks even more spectacularly useless with 1 strike out of 13 games (and that was against non-league opposition), so 3 goals per season, from him then (providing we play against non-leaguers). Why the f—k did we sign them?

Can’t wait for next season to begin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

The King of Spain is hardly in a position to windbag about how good a manager Caldo is – I remember his own pitiful attempts at managing the football side, we all know how that ended. Given that he is (allegedly) a trained lawyer the episode of the club publishing a potentially libellous article on Chesterfield then having to hastily and embarrassingly withdraw it seems now in, retrospect, a particularly apt prelude to Caldo’s reign of error.

His pyshe about us having a great ‘launch pad’ (I believe was the expression used – it could have been any one of a number of management double-plus-good-duck-speak clichés – ‘springboard’ and ‘leveraging’ spring to mind – from the Orwellian lexicon which [seemingly] still manages to dazzle many on here with its brilliance) would be funny if it wasn’t so appalling. He didn’t say if his launch pad had been tested for use under League One conditions. I mean, it may not work by the seaside; there might be too much ozone or something.

As for the Chairman – not only a Conservative and Unionist, but a failed one, I’m not even going to go there. And we now have a Rugby playing Cricketing gentleman assisting her with whisky and wellington boots issues – which is exactly what we needed (‘I went to a cricket match once, something almost happened’).

Looking at our striking options: who knows if Scipius will be here next year; Dools isn’t exactly cutting the mustard these days. Roy’s scoring average to date (11 out of 85 games against, frankly, mainly pyshe) means we can expect around 4 goals per league season from him. Mansell looks even more spectacularly useless with 1 strike out of 13 games (and that was against non-league opposition), so 3 goals per season, from him then (providing we play against non-leaguers). Why the f—k did we sign them?

We’ve still got good players at the Club whether that’s Doolan , Bannigan etc , we’ve got a manager who is tactically inept to get the best out of some of these players. If you had told me at the start of the season that Kris Doolan would have scored only 6 goals all season  I wouldn’t have believed you considering his past record in the SPFL .

If you had told me that Stuart Bannigan would have scored 1 goal all season with no assists ( and 12 yellow cards ) I wouldn’t have believed that either .

A good manager would get the best out of these players and play to a system that suits the players strengths.

Unfortunately we haven’t got a good manager and that’s why we’re in the mess we’re in just now 

Edited by jlsarmy

10 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

We’ve still got good players at the Club whether that’s Doolan , Bannigan etc , we’ve got a manager who is tactically inept to get the best out of some of these players. If you had told me at the start of the season that Kris Doolan would have scored only 6 goals all season  I wouldn’t have believed you considering his past record in the SPFL .

If you had told me that Stuart Bannigan would have scored 1 goal all season with no assists ( and 12 yellow cards ) I wouldn’t have believed that either .

A good manager would get the best out of these players and play to a system that suits the players strengths.

Unfortunately we haven’t got good manager and that’s why we’re in the mess we’re in just now 

Post of the season, ran out of likes

33 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Point of order m'lud. You've thought that for way longer than the last few days:frantic:

Point taken, Junior Counsel ;) 

Or should that be Junior Grim Reaper?!

Edited by sandy

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Semi, I truly hate to differ with you given the quality of your literary output recently, but I do think you may be unfairly harsh on the King of Spain. 

Gerry is a Jags legend and a decent bloke; he is brighter than our last CEO for sure. Maybe his public utterings are constrained by others?

Nobody is perfect, least of all those fanbois. But Gerry strikes me as a bloke who is trying to do his best for the Club in difficult circumstances. 

Just saying, like.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sandy said:

Point taken, Junior Counsel ;) 

Or should that be Junior Grim Reaper?!

I managed to find out how to change the profile pic. ALL BY MYSELF! I decided on this pic until our fate is decided then I'll find something more soothing

41 minutes ago, sandy said:

Semi, I truly hate to differ with you given the quality of your literary output recently, but I do think you may be unfairly harsh on the King of Spain. 

Gerry is a Jags legend and a decent bloke; he is brighter than our last CEO for sure. Maybe his public utterings are constrained by others?

Nobody is perfect, least of all those fanbois. But Gerry strikes me as a bloke who is trying to do his best for the Club in difficult circumstances. 

Just saying, like.

I have to agree on the Gerry point. A little like the bannigan interview in the herald, towing the party line. Internal politics is a bitch.

Nobody is perfect? Our Lambie?

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Unfortunately we haven’t got a good manager and that’s why we’re in the mess we’re in just now 

The point about Doolan was though he hadn’t scored many goals this season prior to Caldwell being appointed. It’s also negated by the fact Scott McDonald has come in and shown it is possible to score a number of goals in a caldwell team in a shorter period of time. As much as a legend Doolan is - I’m afraid he has to take some responsibility for his poor return of goals this season under 2 managers 

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

The point about Doolan was though he hadn’t scored many goals this season prior to Caldwell being appointed. It’s also negated by the fact Scott McDonald has come in and shown it is possible to score a number of goals in a caldwell team in a shorter period of time. As much as a legend Doolan is - I’m afraid he has to take some responsibility for his poor return of goals this season under 2 managers 

What do you mean by "take some responsibility"?

48 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I managed to find out how to change the profile pic. ALL BY MYSELF! I decided on this pic until our fate is decided then I'll find something more soothing

Bet your son changed it and then said : ‘Dad, you can change it back when you learn how!’

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I get that but Macdonald and Doolan are 2 different players , but when you look at our top goalscorer is Spittal with 8 goals , you kinda see what the problem is , also we need to remember Archie left last October ( think Doolan and Erskine had scored 3 goals apiece by then )

Macdonald has done really well for us since he arrived , probably saved our season with his work ethic but still only 5 goals .

If you set a team up 5 at the back with holding midfielders or play with a narrow midfield with no width or wingers , don’t expect your strikers to get 15/20 goals a season as the stats show .