Season 2019-20

5 hours ago, Z88 said:

One big issue next season will be the loss of money from the parachute payment. £600k this season down to £300k next. Unless the Board can find a easy to replace that then I think our scope for decent signings is very limited. 

Clutching at straws but hope Lindsay gets sold this summer for megabucks

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Doolan's testimonial match is penciled in for a Sunday in September. Either the 8th or the 15th. Exact date won't be confirmed till after next season's fixtures are announced. 

That being the case surely Doolan will get another years contract? 

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

That being the case surely Doolan will get another years contract? 

Surely Doolan’s record at our Club shouldn’t be worthless , he’s had 1 bad season in 10 .

He’ll score goals if we play creative attacking football without a doubt.

With Rangers getting completely hacked off with the reserve league set-up and indicating they will not participate in next seasons league, I think there will be a good number of their players available to loan out to Championship teams.

I saw PTFC v RFC in the reserves in March this year, they had some startling talent in their team that day, if we could get a few of those guys …???

Some of the loanees at other clubs were far better than some of ours, presumably because Archie did not have appropriate contacts, was too lazy, or didn’t like to ask.

Also, we missed out on any of the best of the youngsters released by the bigger teams in Scotland, some of whom were snapped by the likes of McCall.

Caldwell signed McDonald, by far our or anyone else’s best signing because he knows him well. Hopefully he’ll be using his contacts to good effect.

6 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Think it all depends on what budget we have, parachute payment of £900k has gone, we get another £250k this year, but crowds are down, income is down and I’ve heard all youth players that would be due a senior deal next season are being released so no kids coming through next season.

You’re right re the youth players , they were told there might be 1 or 2 professional contracts given out depending on the budget, not sure what is the point of the Weir Academy if you’re not going to let the young players develop

Young players develop at different rates , not sure what the point of the Academy is if they’re at the Club for 2 or 3 years then when they get to 18 they’re discarded because they’ve got to get a paid contract.

Pointless exercise 

23 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Keep:

Cardle, McDonald, Spittal , Doolan , Saunders , McMillan, Sneddon , Penrice, Slater , Bannigan , O’ware

Get rid:

Hazard , Gordan , Anderson, Elloitt , Roy, Mansell , McCarthy, Lennox , Kewon , Bell , Harkins , Storey 

Of course you are allowed your opinion but Lennox, Elliott? Were you at the last few games, Elliott was excellent. He's one of our better players this season. Lennox, have you seen him? I have three times and he's nowhere near good enough yet for the first team but he's a good goalie who'll get better. If you were bringing in better then fair enough but we have had much worse. 

10 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Of course you are allowed your opinion but Lennox, Elliott? Were you at the last few games, Elliott was excellent. He's one of our better players this season. Lennox, have you seen him? I have three times and he's nowhere near good enough yet for the first team but he's a good goalie who'll get better. If you were bringing in better then fair enough but we have had much worse. 

Lennox is very injury prone, not very handy as a back up, and Elloitt to me he’s very meh, ok defensively can’t cross but he’s always an out ball.

44 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re right re the youth players , they were told there might be 1 or 2 professional contracts given out depending on the budget, not sure what is the point of the Weir Academy if you’re not going to let the young players develop

Young players develop at different rates , not sure what the point of the Academy is if they’re at the Club for 2 or 3 years then when they get to 18 they’re discarded because they’ve got to get a paid contract.

Pointless exercise 

If this is the case, what must Colin Weir be thinking if his large investment in the setting up and follow on contributions to the academy are being squandered due to mis- management.

1 hour ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Lennox is very injury prone. 

Didn't know that. We'll need three keepers and we don't have an old enough academy goalie to fill one of the slots. Fitness issue aside Lennox wouldn't be a bad squad player. Even at that if we go with Sneddon as first choice keeper we have to respect his age and relative inexperience so ideally we also need an experienced keeper on the books. This time last year I'd be saying Bell would be an ideal choice. Now I hope we can move him on and replace him with another old heid.  

1 hour ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Lennox is very injury prone, not very handy as a back up, and Elloitt to me he’s very meh, ok defensively can’t cross but he’s always an out ball.

Fair point. I'd submit he has improved over the season more than most. If he could work on his crossing whilst running, not have to stop first he'd be a real asset

Goalkeepers: Need a solid back-up to Sneddon, who should have a chance to start the season as number one for the first time. Get Bell and Lennox out and see who’s available. 

Defenders: I’d look to get Jordan McGhee in from Falkirk as our versatile defender (ie. replacement for McMillan) as he’s a decent first choice right-back to compete with Elliott but can play across the backline. Turns 23 in July so no compensation would be due. Retain Anderson or go for O’Dea as our experienced head and run with Anderson/O’Dea, O’Ware, Saunders and McGinty as our CB options. So long Keown. 

Midfielders: Wouldn’t be against trying to sign up Gordon but expect McCarthy and Spittal to leave so need defensive and attacking replacements. Does Ian McShane have a relegation clause? Michael Tidser? Not sure who else is available.

Forwards: Would also think McDonald will be gone, sadly, and with Roy and Coulibaly going and Mansell looking a bit too raw in my opinion, we should look be looking at two strikers minimum coming in - with Doolan retained as back-up - the first time he’d enter a season thought of as such, I believe. Rudden would be a good option. Tony Watt? Connor Sammon?

Winger required with Storey surely leaving - Keillor-Dunn at Ross County? Dom Thomas? Or try for a season loan of Mikey Johnston or Glenn Middleton? Not sure how realistic that would be. Would try to keep Cardle but if he leaves then again that’s another body to replace. 

All names thrown out are lazy suggestions to be fair so to summarise: goalkeeper, 2 defenders (assuming we keep Elliott), 2-3 midfielders, 1-2 wingers, 2 strikers. If you were to keep McMillan, Anderson, Gordon and Cardle that’s just 4-6 new bodies I reckon.

To those people saying that Elliott should be released, it's clear from Camallain's goals video that Christie has been involved in the moves leading to more than a few of them. He's more than comfortable at this level, and he's versatile. A must-keep.

I mentioned in another thread: Kevin Nisbet has been scoring for fun for Raith Rovers. If we lose McDonald and Mansell, I'd welcome him back, given that he's now more experienced and knows how to score at this kind of level.

20 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Think it all depends on what budget we have, parachute payment of £900k has gone, we get another £250k this year, but crowds are down, income is down and I’ve heard all youth players that would be due a senior deal next season are being released so no kids coming through next season.

That last bit is particularly concerning. Especially so as that generation would have been trained under our chief exec. Not one youth player retained. I wonder if this is normal at our level.

Reflecting on the season just past we were very lucky Penrice didn't pick up an injury or suspension. He's not been consistently great by any any means but to play in every game is some achievement for a 19/20 year old. And just as well as we don't have a natural replacement for his position. I suppose Banzo would've done a decent enough job at left back but he'd have been a severe loss to midfield. Scobbie would probably have been horrendous as cover for James.

So bringing in a decent quality left back to compete with Penrice should be high on Caldwell's agenda. Even playing so many games with three at the back we still rode our luck re Penrice's fitness and the fact his form never took a severe dunt.