Season 2019-20

That is a refreshingly open and honest update to their fans and as dougie247 says, is to be applauded. Things are financially tight for everyone and I expect our gate prices to rise.

I tend to make most home games and selective of away games as I have kids to pay for. The kids have season tickets at £60, they qualify for free ones but cos they want to go to the JLS there is that small charge.

Re gate charges, perhaps someone here has some knowledge of how gate receipts are divided up. I believe the home club keeps gate receipts but does the away club get anything?

I've long wondered the fairness of say 200 fans coming to firhill for alloa say, and them getting 700+ thistle fans for their home game.

When i decide on what games i can afford to go to i always factor in the consideration that i would rather give my cash to Thistle so I'll go to a home game rather than an away game.

If indeed it is the case that the home club keeps the gate receipts then it might be time to review that, especially in this league where there are some clubs who just don't have big away support.

So if say we took 2000 to QoS then the gate receipts for the away supporters have the costs subtracted to the home club, ie lighting, stewarding, cost of operating turnstiles etc and the home club would also have the profits from food, drinks etc. 

what was left after costs were subtracted would go to Thistle. It might not be much but it might encourage more away supporters to go if they thought at least some of their cash was going to their club. Just thinking out loud

8 minutes ago, mulguy jag said:

Our JL's statement telling us everything is rosy must be due surely. On a happier note , I see that the latest addition to the royal family has been named Archie. Sandy will be over the moon.

Just wait till they discover who his real father is ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

That is a refreshingly open and honest update to their fans and as dougie247 says, is to be applauded. Things are financially tight for everyone and I expect our gate prices to rise.

I tend to make most home games and selective of away games as I have kids to pay for. The kids have season tickets at £60, they qualify for free ones but cos they want to go to the JLS there is that small charge.

Re gate charges, perhaps someone here has some knowledge of how gate receipts are divided up. I believe the home club keeps gate receipts but does the away club get anything?

I've long wondered the fairness of say 200 fans coming to firhill for alloa say, and them getting 700+ thistle fans for their home game.

When i decide on what games i can afford to go to i always factor in the consideration that i would rather give my cash to Thistle so I'll go to a home game rather than an away game.

If indeed it is the case that the home club keeps the gate receipts then it might be time to review that, especially in this league where there are some clubs who just don't have big away support.

So if say we took 2000 to QoS then the gate receipts for the away supporters have the costs subtracted to the home club, ie lighting, stewarding, cost of operating turnstiles etc and the home club would also have the profits from food, drinks etc. 

what was left after costs were subtracted would go to Thistle. It might not be much but it might encourage more away supporters to go if they thought at least some of their cash was going to their club. Just thinking out loud

For league games, home club keeps all gate receipts, food sales, etc. They then have to pay for stewarding, police etc from their own pocket. Gate receipts used to be divided years ago (I'm thinking maybe 70s or 80s was when it last happened), but was rightly binned. Why should Hamilton Accies and their minibus full of fans receive half the gate (minus costs) at Celtic Park? Or indeed, to use your own example, why should Alloa and their 150 travelling fans receive half of a 3,000 gate at Firhill?

This kind of thing just isn't practical and has no real reason to be reviewed.

3 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Looks like Dunfermline will be going with a younger squad as they need to reduce costs:

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=DAFC_Board_Statement:_End_of_season_2018/19&ID=11232

Personally I would have no problem if our chief executive or chairwoman were as transparent and honest as the Dunfermline chairman.

With rising costs and fan bases dwindling, there is got to be a different approach to the way Clubs at our level operate .

The most obvious is to coach the youngsters and give them a pathway to the first team , that would be part of the managers remit but for that to be done our expectation level would have to drop with more the emphasis on getting an infrastructure in place rather than the be all and end all of getting promotion at all costs .

The other idea is to have a hybrid of part time and full time players but I’m not sure if that would work but it would certainly open up another market in terms of players not giving up their day to day job for a stab at full time football .

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

All gate receipts for league games go to the home team. Cup games are different, I think it is a 60%/40% split in favour of the home team.

4 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Looks like Dunfermline will be going with a younger squad as they need to reduce costs:

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=DAFC_Board_Statement:_End_of_season_2018/19&ID=11232

Easier for Dunfermline to go this route than us. The team the put out against us in the reserves in April of this year were of a very high standard. They outplayed, outthought and outscored us that day. Again the emphasis is on PTFC to take the good luck of having a benefactor who subsidises an academy for us, and turn that good luck into tangible assets for the club in future years.

2 hours ago, Roque said:

For league games, home club keeps all gate receipts, food sales, etc. They then have to pay for stewarding, police etc from their own pocket. Gate receipts used to be divided years ago (I'm thinking maybe 70s or 80s was when it last happened), but was rightly binned. Why should Hamilton Accies and their minibus full of fans receive half the gate (minus costs) at Celtic Park? Or indeed, to use your own example, why should Alloa and their 150 travelling fans receive half of a 3,000 gate at Firhill?

Perhaps I wasn't really clear in the point I made. Though I've read my post back it it makes sense to me.

Nowhere did I make any mention about the away team getting half the gate.

I said the away fan gate receipts would have any costs like stewarding the away end, wage for the turnstile operator and what was left after the home sides costs were deducted for opening and operating the away end, would fo to the away club. Thus the away fans would see some benefit to their own club.

My example of alloa is simple. Alloa bring 200 fans to firhill so Thistle get a gate receipt of 4000 quid from the away fans. With me so far? When we go to alloa and take 500 fans the gate for that would be 14000 quid. Hows that fair? It's a dead simple premise, the away club gets a cut of the take from the away fans gate receipts. That might encourage more away fans to go to games.

And I'm not asking or suggesting a review. It's a discussion forum AND it's the close season. If only you had taken the time to read and digest the initial post I'd not be typing this p1sh and might watch ajax v spurs

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

All gate receipts for league games go to the home team. Cup games are different, I think it is a 60%/40% split in favour of the home team.

Doesn't seem fair. I do remember the ugly sisters being behind it and they were right in the respect that a diddy team would go to Celtic park or ibrox with a hundred fans and walk away with half the receipts.

I just think its pants that a team comes to us with 200 fans and we go to them with 800. Ergo they make more money off thistle then we do off them. It's sometimes a reason why I don't go to an away game.

19 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Perhaps I wasn't really clear in the point I made. Though I've read my post back it it makes sense to me.

Nowhere did I make any mention about the away team getting half the gate.

I said the away fan gate receipts would have any costs like stewarding the away end, wage for the turnstile operator and what was left after the home sides costs were deducted for opening and operating the away end, would fo to the away club. Thus the away fans would see some benefit to their own club.

My example of alloa is simple. Alloa bring 200 fans to firhill so Thistle get a gate receipt of 4000 quid from the away fans. With me so far? When we go to alloa and take 500 fans the gate for that would be 14000 quid. Hows that fair? It's a dead simple premise, the away club gets a cut of the take from the away fans gate receipts. That might encourage more away fans to go to games.

And I'm not asking or suggesting a review. It's a discussion forum AND it's the close season. If only you had taken the time to read and digest the initial post I'd not be typing this p1sh and might watch ajax v spurs

Your argument comes across very much like Rangers fans & the ‘Blue Pound’.

That aside, were we to make it back to the Premiership would you still be OK with your proposal?

11 hours ago, Roque said:

But it's since the home teams got to keep all the entrance money that the old filth got even richer and their fans came to places like Firhill in ever deceasing numbers. But of course that may be no bad thing....

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

But it's since the home teams got to keep all the entrance money that the old filth got even richer and their fans came to places like Firhill in ever deceasing numbers. But of course that may be no bad thing....

This is my feeling, too.

No team outwith the gruesome twosome will ever win the Premier League again, which makes the whole Scottish setup pointless.

But, hey, it sells tv subscriptions, so that's ok.

14 hours ago, German Jag said:

Your argument comes across very much like Rangers fans & the ‘Blue Pound’.

That aside, were we to make it back to the Premiership would you still be OK with your proposal?

#veryhurt.

How very dare you suggesting a good agnostic man is of blue persuasion. I don't think I've ever felt so hurt and insulted. Damn you to hell German jag. Shame on you.

I posted just for conversations sake. I'm not totally convinced myself just articulating that the current system might be improved? Then again, not sure myself.

I don't give a monkey's about the ugly sisters, but seeing as you ask, if that were the case (and I'm not being comedic here) I think you'll find that after costs of managing the "away stand" for the ugly sisters then there'd be no cash left after the repairs were paid for.

Back to the original point, I don't go to many away games cos I'd rather save my cash to spend at home games so Thistle get the cash. All I was doing was speculating (close season boredom) that i would go to more away games if thistle were benefiting from more than just my verbal support.

Still seething you dirty animal 

14 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Re Miles Storey. He's a lad I desperately wanted to see be successful at Firhill simply for his sheer enthusiasm. Whatever anyone thinks of him as a player I don't think it can be denied he always gave 100%. He also renegotiated his contract in favour of the Club. Hope he does well wherever he goes.

Agree with that. Its just never worked out a firhill but if he gets a team with a decent manager that can get his confidence back then he could quite easily score goals at this level.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Truth hurts you WJ, Westminster gone right to your head you clown

Not desperately sure why you suddenly think it's OK to start firing out insults to other forum users like confetti. But you seriously need to have a good at yourself. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 11:45 AM, Dark Passenger said:

I also suspect, based on nothing more than a hunch, that Doolan might be off. If that's the case then I think it was really poor of the manager not to give him even a cameo appearance yesterday. I'm also concerned his departure could set the tone for the summer.