Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Woodstock Jag

Season 2019-20

Recommended Posts

Right let’s completely and utterly forget the last 24 months.

Who do we want retained from the current squad? More importantly perhaps, who do we want rid of?

Who would you like to see come in? Which players should we be building the squad around, and with what formation(s)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep:

Cardle, McDonald, Spittal , Doolan , Saunders , McMillan, Sneddon , Penrice, Slater , Bannigan , O’ware

Get rid:

Hazard , Gordan , Anderson, Elloitt , Roy, Mansell , McCarthy, Lennox , Kewon , Bell , Harkins , Storey 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Keep:

Cardle, McDonald, Spittal , Doolan , Saunders , McMillan, Sneddon , Penrice, Slater , Bannigan , O’ware

Get rid:

Hazard , Gordan , Anderson, Elloitt , Roy, Mansell , McCarthy, Lennox , Kewon , Bell , Harkins , Storey 

What about Fitzpatrick ?

Most of the players you would let go, I agree with. I think Hazard, Gordon and Elliot are all good enough to  be in a squad challenging for the title. Anderson has done ok on the tighter pitches but gets caught out at Firhill.

 

Edited by Lenziejag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Keep:

Cardle, McDonald, Spittal , Doolan , Saunders , McMillan, Sneddon , Penrice, Slater , Bannigan , O’ware

Get rid:

Hazard , Gordan , Anderson, Elloitt , Roy, Mansell , McCarthy, Lennox , Kewon , Bell , Harkins , Storey 

I’d definitely keep Elliot, as he’s one of the best right backs in the division.  Wouldn’t disagree with much else, You’ve not mentioned McGinty, who’s an interesting case. A few weeks ago, there would be no question that we should get rid. More recently, he’s been one of our best and most consistent performers. Maybe worth another punt?

Add Fitzpatrick to the keeps (obviously) and there is a decent core there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Right let’s completely and utterly forget the last 24 months.

Who do we want retained from the current squad? More importantly perhaps, who do we want rid of?

Who would you like to see come in? Which players should we be building the squad around, and with what formation(s)?

Next season I'd play Roy in goal. Be tempted to go all positive and play a back four of Roy, Roy, Roy & Roy, Two holding midfielders Roy & Roy playing behind an attacking midfield of Roy, Roy & Roy. Up front I'd play as sole striker Doolan, McDonald, Fitzpatrick, Cardle, Jacqui Low, anybody but Ally ******* Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d keep Elliot. Not sure about Gordon. Think  spittal will be off and not sure McDonald will re-sign. Not sure doolan will be offered an extension but hope I’m wrong - he’s had a poor season but form can change and he’s a massive asset to the club 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep.

Sneddon, Penrice, Saunders, O'Ware, McGinty, Bannigan, Slater, Gordon(if Motherwell agree to another loan),Spittal, Cardle, McDonald (doubtful),Doolan, Mansell(dependant on his club)

Cant think of much else. The rest to be released or back to parent clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDonald said in his Jagszone interview he might have another offer elsewhere. He said it wasn’t to do with money. Putting 2+2 together and coming up with a 100, maybe he fancies the Morton job as a way into management.

hopefully though he stays with us, his all round ability, goals, hold up play, experience, inspiration and general enthusiasm would add a few more ST sales and a few more paying at the gate. And a few more points!

Edited by JAG1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One big issue next season will be the loss of money from the parachute payment. £600k this season down to £300k next. Unless the Board can find a easy to replace that then I think our scope for decent signings is very limited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too sure we can look at the entire squad right now and assess who stays and goes. To my mind we have 4 key players that we need to secure and build a team around.

So until we know that we won't lose McDonald, Fitzpatrick, Bannigan or Penrice its difficult to work out what we need.

If McDonald goes we are very reliant on Doolan. Would it be possible to get Dobbie if QOS got relegated?

If Bannigan goes the midfield needs a leader. Would it be possible to get Tidser?

If Penrice isn't here we need more left foot defensive options. Like wise if Fitzpatrick leaves we need to recruit more creative players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the listed players are loanees who'll be returning to their parent clubs, so it's not a question of 'keeping' them.

Some, like Gordon, are out of contract, so there might be an opportunity to sign them. Others, like Anderson and McMillan, have contracts with their clubs that extend beyond this season.

I'd welcome Shea back to Firhill with open arms. I'd also take a punt on Mansell. He looked really good yesterday with the experienced McDonald coaching him through the game.

I suspect that Scott had something lined up at home and don't expect him to sign. I also suspect, based on nothing more than a hunch, that Doolan might be off. If that's the case then I think it was really poor of the manager not to give him even a cameo appearance yesterday. I'm also concerned his departure could set the tone for the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mcginty is contracted to end of next season I think but given his much improved form in last few months, would have been one to keep anyway! I also got a hunch that Doolan will be away in summer after the post game walk around the pitch yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miles Storey didn't feature at all yesterday. Caldwell said he'd only have players he could trust on the bus to Dumfries. Was Miles on the bus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Storey limped off last week with what looked like a thigh injury.

4 goals in 70 odd games shows that he shouldn't be retained.

I make it we have 11 signed players for next season- So some work to do either tying down some of the out of contract guys or getting new ones in.

SNEDDON

Bell

Penrice

McGinty

Saunders

Oware

Slater

Bannigan

Harkins

Fitzpatirck

Calum Wilson

 

With the leagues over bar the play offs most players will know if they are wanted or not at their current clubs by the end of the week. So hopefully some quick news like January. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Some of the listed players are loanees who'll be returning to their parent clubs, so it's not a question of 'keeping' them.

Some, like Gordon, are out of contract, so there might be an opportunity to sign them. Others, like Anderson and McMillan, have contracts with their clubs that extend beyond this season.

I'd welcome Shea back to Firhill with open arms. I'd also take a punt on Mansell. He looked really good yesterday with the experienced McDonald coaching him through the game.

I suspect that Scott had something lined up at home and don't expect him to sign. I also suspect, based on nothing more than a hunch, that Doolan might be off. If that's the case then I think it was really poor of the manager not to give him even a cameo appearance yesterday. I'm also concerned his departure could set the tone for the summer.

I must admit that staying or leaving Caldwell should have given him the last ten minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out-of-contract players have been covered in another thread, but here's a full list of this season's first-team squad and the status of their contracts:

Contracted

Cammy Bell

Jamie Sneddon

Sean McGinty

Tam O'Ware

James Penrice

Steven Saunders

Stuart Bannigan

Aidan Fitzpatrick

Gary Harkins

Craig Slater

Callum Wilson

Out of contract 

Aaron Lennox

Christie Elliott

Niall Keown

Joe Cardle

Andy McCarthy

Blair Spittal

Souleymane Coulibaly

Kris Doolan

Scott McDonald

Alistair Roy

Miles Storey

Loanees returning to parent clubs

Conor Hazard

Steven Anderson

Jack McMillan

Shea Gordon

Lewis Mansell

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mad Mull Jag said:

Storey limped off last week with what looked like a thigh injury.

4 goals in 70 odd games shows that he shouldn't be retained.

I make it we have 11 signed players for next season- So some work to do either tying down some of the out of contract guys or getting new ones in.

SNEDDON

Bell

Penrice

McGinty

Saunders

Oware

Slater

Bannigan

Harkins

Fitzpatirck

Calum Wilson

 

With the leagues over bar the play offs most players will know if they are wanted or not at their current clubs by the end of the week. So hopefully some quick news like January. 

 

That's a decent spine to work with. Personally I'd like us to get Anderson for a year. Elliot I'd keep for this level. He started poorly but had a decent last half of the season. As always it's getting in that 20  goals plus striker is the key. Spittal did well but I'll not be devastated if he leaves, assuming we recruit a goal scoring midfielder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully no repeat of the 3/4 players on the bench come the start of the fredbet cup in july. 

We have a full month more this season to sort out what needs to be done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be looking for a better right back than Christie - still of the opinion that failing to sign Liam Smith was a major blunder - but I'd happily retain him as a squad player.

Dools deserves another year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doolan's testimonial match is penciled in for a Sunday in September. Either the 8th or the 15th. Exact date won't be confirmed till after next season's fixtures are announced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it all depends on what budget we have, parachute payment of £900k has gone, we get another £250k this year, but crowds are down, income is down and I’ve heard all youth players that would be due a senior deal next season are being released so no kids coming through next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×