Caldwell Like or Loathe

Pinhead

4 hours ago, sandy said:

‘Sure’. Lots of assumptions there.

Well there was no assumption when it comes to you slaughtering mansell to score a cheap dig at Caldwell.

ffs the lad is 19 probably first time away from home, probably never been to Glasgow before, young lad still a lot to learn but doing his best - but not good enough for you if you can use it to have a dig at Caldwell’s signing policy 

Absolutely pathetic from you

Sacking a manager with the 3rd best form in the league seems harsh. I don't care if his remit was to get us promotion, the team was utterly honking and had been on a downward trajectory for a year and a half. The remit might as well have been to win every game and beat Celtic 5-0 in the Scottish Cup Final, it was a stupid remit. People saying he should go should be careful what they wish for, Scotland recently sacked (pre-racisty comments) Strachan when we were heading in the right direction because he didn't meet a remit and look how that worked out. Fair enough if we start the season poorly but you don't sack him when he's doing well.

Edited by scottymagoo
Missed a bit

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Well there was no assumption when it comes to you slaughtering mansell to score a cheap dig at Caldwell.

ffs the lad is 19 probably first time away from home, probably never been to Glasgow before, young lad still a lot to learn but doing his best - but not good enough for you if you can use it to have a dig at Caldwell’s signing policy 

Correct

5 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Who knows. Right now I want st mirren down. They along with Dundee are in freefall. Much like us last year. Hate to say it but Dundee United up probably improves our chances. So who will be challenging next year? Ayr likely to be weakened as Shankland and a few others away. Inverness probably a strong contender. Morton and Dunfermline. Doubt it. QOS if they survive? Dobbie one year older. Don't see it. Alloa? No chance barring a miracle. In my opinion a great chance next year. 

Morton cutting the budget hence he manager walking out

Arbroath/alloa part time- will Goodwin be there

Ayr- losing at least 5 players

Dunfermline/ICT much like ourselves 

Dundee- bit like us this year depends on £££££ from the americans

QOS or another part time team up from div 2 

Dundee United will have to shift some players if they stay down

St Mirren likewise if they come down.

Its going to be just a s competitive as this season 

I think we will be in a much better frame of mind for next season. The club was in a bad place going into this season.

Hand on hearts, how many of us were looking forward to this season? All the talk of going straight back up always sounded like fanciful bluster, and actually made the disaster of back to back relegations more likely.

The main thing is we didn't get relegated this season, there's no compelling reason for not looking forward to next season.

Is Gary Caldwell the right manager to lead us back to the big time? I have my doubts. Has he earned the right to manage us next season? Yes, without a doubt.

13 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Honestly?

I have nothing against Gary Caldwell and while I am happy that we have managed to stay up.

I still think the people running our club want shooting for not hiring Jim Goodwin when we had the chance.

It's been said before Goodwin was never an option at that particular time. Heard that from a reliable Alloa source. Not to say if approached now, with his success at Alloa now banked, he would turn down a full time managerial role.

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

I’m a bit baffled about the Caldwell arrogance stuff.....where does that come from?

His interviews, his reputation from previous clubs, and (from my side) players that have played with him previously.

When things go wrong it’s never his fault.

6 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

Are you? If the whole team stank of relegation when Archie was here why were we not in the relegation zone? To some facts don't matter - not sure why I bother! lol 

Some on here seem to have an agenda against Archie or Caldwell. Both have played a part in our failure this season. 

No i am serious, it was obvious for anyone with a brain that we were going down from Premiership and that stench continued into Championship. You are correct we were not in relegation zone we were in the space above it when Archie left just like we have been in Caldwells time for the vast majority. No agenda against anyone just stating that with Archie we would have been set for the seaside leagues and i woulda bet my house on that being the case had he remained.

Edited by Pinhead

1 hour ago, AndyMac said:

I think we will be in a much better frame of mind for next season. The club was in a bad place going into this season.

Hand on hearts, how many of us were looking forward to this season? All the talk of going straight back up always sounded like fanciful bluster, and actually made the disaster of back to back relegations more likely.

The main thing is we didn't get relegated this season, there's no compelling reason for not looking forward to next season.

Is Gary Caldwell the right manager to lead us back to the big time? I have my doubts. Has he earned the right to manage us next season? Yes, without a doubt.

Financially we’re in a weaker position than start of last season, that will impact who we keep, and more importantly who we sign

5 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

His interviews, his reputation from previous clubs, and (from my side) players that have played with him previously.

When things go wrong it’s never his fault.

Well I don’t see that in interviews .....other clubs kinda hearsay and he’s now a manger not a player....don’t see it 

2 hours ago, Mad Mull Jag said:

Morton cutting the budget hence he manager walking out

Arbroath/alloa part time- will Goodwin be there

Ayr- losing at least 5 players

Dunfermline/ICT much like ourselves 

Dundee- bit like us this year depends on £££££ from the americans

QOS or another part time team up from div 2 

Dundee United will have to shift some players if they stay down

St Mirren likewise if they come down.

Its going to be just a s competitive as this season 

Dundee Utd got new investors this season and weren’t too bothered about promotion (at least publicly). I think they will be financed as well as Ross County were.

I would expect ICT; the playoff losers Dunfermline and ourselves(hopefully) to be challenging next season. 

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It's been said before Goodwin was never an option at that particular time. Heard that from a reliable Alloa source. Not to say if approached now, with his success at Alloa now banked, he would turn down a full time managerial role.

Goodwin has undoubtedly done superbly with Alloa this season. However this does not necessarily mean he’d be a good manager at a full time club. I remember Ian Murray doing an equally remarkable job  at Dumbarton (possibly better considering the position they were in when he took them over) keeping them in the Championship for two seasons before being lured away at St. Mirren. At St. Mirren he was a disaster and they were very fortunate that Jack Ross was so good that he was able to salvage the season from what looked an impossible position. And, of course, Dick Campbell continues to prove himself as an excellent part time club manager.

Goodwin may be successful at a bigger club, of course- I’m just saying that it’s no where near as certain as some seem to think here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Lewis Mansell was a left field signing from Gary Caldwell, the boy is almost 22 years of age , hadn’t played any first team football before joining us and never had any goal scoring record as such.

Most fans looked at the signings of Mansell and Ally Roy with bewilderment as at that time we needed proven players at that level , we eventually got Scott McDonald who was the catalyst to better form and winning games .

Lewis Mansell made a difference yesterday and it was great he scored his first professional goal in such an important game .

All’s well that ends well 

20 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Look at our last 7 or 8 pressure games. Think we won 5 out the last 8 or 9? We won 3 of our last 4. We won the games post Tenerife gate and envelope gate. The anti Caldwell brigade are coming up with zero apart from t hey dislike his manner. Our results since January have been excellent. How can you argue objectively against that? He has prevailed. The team has prevailed. The fan bois have prevailed.

I'm more ambivalent to Caldwell now than I was and grudgingly agree he is worth being allowed a proper close season. For reasons posted before, we've strong spine, I'm looking forward to next season gar more than I expected. 

I do however disagree with your point that results since January have been excellent. That is, with respect, utter tosh. Dunfermline and Ross county were an utter shambles, proof alone in those two games we were far from excellent Mr Gary Caldwell in disguse

11 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Until Caldwell starts winning the fans over then he’s on a hiding to nothing, results obviously are important but his arrogance puts people of, If your going to be that arrogant then you need to be world class, otherwise there will be no slack given from the punters.

Archie.s remit was promotion he was leading us towards relegation and he was fired 

Caldwell’s remit was promotion he avoided relegation by 1 game, yet he’s a hero.

Like. He's no hero to me

9 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Time for a straw poll. There is a tiny tiny minority of people who want him sacked. I had many a debate with my mates about this ( average years supporting thistle between 20 and 40 years ) and the consensus was he deserves more time if he stabilised the ship. He did. Clearly. I seem to remember someone on here tried to organise a Caldwell out protest when we lost about 5 or 6 in a row. No one was interested. No one is interested now apart from a bitter few. Suck it up and move on.

And this attitude has spread to the board and every book and cranny and is why we are going to struggle to escape the clutches of the championship

Just now, Thistleberight said:

And this attitude has spread to the board and every book and cranny and is why we are going to struggle to escape the clutches of the championship

It’s not a tiny, tiny majority either. Neither are we a bitter few.

Still, I admire those fans who are happy with scraping survival in the second tier; Thistle deserve better...

9 hours ago, scotty said:

I think a few posters believe that Caldwell is a terrible manager. No matter what he does it's wrong and in their minds him not admitting it (and proving them correct) is just arrogance in their view.  Also a few on here seem to have been at his interview and think he came across as arrogant then too.

Listen to his first interview on sport sound. Horrendous scenes.

As a player for sellik Wigan and Scotland, watch what he did when he scalded a ball or tried a long pass and put it out of the ground. He would target one of the young lads and chew them out that it was their fault. Not how a nice man behaves.

1 minute ago, Winter of '63 said:

Maybe it's we were no better than Morton over the last 6 games and  should follow their example and dump the management team?

Actually, what happened was, two scummy criminal directors who used to be involved in one of the ugly sisters tried to bully the manager into playing a player that he didn't want to and to not play another player cos a new contract would click in cos of the number of games this player had played and so he left on a point of principle and before the feckers could burn his bus

My opinion for what it is worth is that Caldwell should be our manager next season. Does that mean I think he is the messiah - of course not. However taking everything in to consideration I think that he has done enough to start next season. Personally I am interested to see how he goes about pre season and what his plans are for recruitment. I know others feel differently but all I would ask is that we unite behind who ever is manager next season (if the Board decide to make a change then I will have to suck it up and get behind the new guy) because the greater good of Partick Thistle is what matters not who can shout the loudest because they did not get what they wanted.

• Like 3