Doolan

javeajag

Disgraceful decision and disgraceful way to treat one of our finest players of the last few decades. This season was not his best and clearly still has masses to offer. This decision will absolutely come back to bite us. 

And for Caldwell to not even give him a few minutes against QOS? Dreadful. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Disgraceful decision and disgraceful way to treat one of our finest players of the last few decades. This season was not his best and clearly still has masses to offer. This decision will absolutely come back to bite us. 

And for Caldwell to not even give him a few minutes against QOS? Dreadful. 

He hes had a very poor season 

Just now, javeajag said:

He hes had a very poor season 

Pretty sure his achievements before this season have given him a fair amount of capital and leeway to allow for a poorer season. Just a shocking way to treat a guy who will be remembered long after our current charlatan of a manager. 

• Like 2

Absolutely shocking...Half way through his testimonial year .what a disgraceful way to treat him..someone who has given 10 years to the club..All the best Kris .If you ever come back to play against us I hope you score a hat trick..Caldwell should hold his head in shame..

Just now, KemoAvdiu said:

Pretty sure his achievements before this season have given him a fair amount of capital and leeway to allow for a poorer season. Just a shocking way to treat a guy who will be remembered long after our current charlatan of a manager. 

How has he been treated badly exactly ? It’s just a stick for you to beat Caldwell with .... you can’t play players on what they did but on what they can do now 

• Like 1

dont really agree with the decision- don’t know if the wage were too high.

theres no denying he has an appalling season but still maybe offered something off the bench or in coaching unless he sought to leave of own accord.  I suspect he will go to Ayr United- though hindsight is wonderful if I had known about the performances this season I would have probably taken up McCalls offer for Shankland for Doolan and erskine 

• Like 1

Very sorry to see him go and wish him all the very best for the future. I'd hope that we see him back at Firhill some day.

His contribution has been immense and he'll go down as one of the all time greats at Thistle. Not many players at this level can have such an impact on a club these days. His loyalty, consistency, dignity, commitment and talent are exceptional.

As for the "decision", I don't know who's it was, and I don't know enough detail to judge whether it was correct or not. Neither, I suspect, do most people on this forum. But I'd rather that now was a time for recognising his contribution, rather than recriminations.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 4

Just now, Third Lanark said:

dont really agree with the decision- don’t know if the wage were too high.

theres no denying he has an appalling season but still maybe offered something off the bench or in coaching unless he sought to leave of own accord.  I suspect he will go to Ayr United- though hindsight is wonderful if I had known about the performances this season I would have probably taken up McCalls offer for Shankland for Doolan and erskine 

The question is as his contract is up whether you would offer him a new one ... a hard call based on this season 

The failure to so much as give him a cameo at Palmerston shows that Caldwell has zero class.

Even if you leave aside the merits or complications of whether he should have been offered an extension to his contract (and you better believe he should) you've got to treat the good guys right.

In the long run, that matters far far far more than whether you won 3-0 or 3-1 on a random afternoon in May.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m going to go against the grain and say this move probably makes sense for both parties. Kris was likely our highest earner and has spent most of the season in the bench. Perhaps we offered him another deal on less money and he turned it down.  He has been poor the last couple of seasons and his wage perhaps couldn’t be justified. Kris I’m guessing wants to play games and if he’s not guaranteed that at Firhill it’s probably right for him to move on.

I certainly wish him all the best and hopefully we see him back at firhill as a coach in the future

• Like 1

This might not be a popular response, but the guy is going to turn 34 this season, is clearly slowing down, and is in no way a dependable long term player for the team. He has been a terrific servant for the club, and I really think that he should have been given some time on the pitch at QoS. However, we need to look to the future, and a post-Doolan world was always inevitable. I am sure the club would have wanted to keep a hold of him, but Doolan is not a player content to sit on the bench, and at his age he will have wanted to at least get some game time bearing in mind he has only a year or two left. I don't think Caldwell forced him out the door. 

A tough decision to make for all concerned, but looking backwards will get us nowhere. The club needs to look to the future, and get some fresh faces in. No point on dwelling in the past. It is time for Caldwell and his adorable little WhatsApp group to bash their heads together and unearth the next Doolan or Buchanan. 

All the best Dools, you are a legend. 

• Like 5

Just now, Woodstock Jag said:

The failure to so much as give him a cameo at Palmerston shows that Caldwell has zero class.

Even if you leave aside the merits or complications of whether he should have been offered an extension to his contract (and you better believe he should) you've got to treat the good guys right.

In the long run, that matters far far far more than whether you won 3-0 or 3-1 on a random afternoon in May.

Perhaps he didn’t know he would be leaving?

2 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

He’s getting a testimonial 

Absolutely gutted to hear this but we don't know the background. Kris may want to play football at a lower level or maybe on a part time basis to allow him do other football or non football related work. He could simply have been offered a sizable signing on fee elsewhere. We'll find out in due course and for the sake of everyone the sooner the better. As it is selling season tickets just got considerably harder.

3 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

Perhaps he didn’t know he would be leaving?

If you seriously think that both (a) Caldwell had offered Doolan an extension to his contract before Saturday and (b) that there hadn't been the serious contemplation of it being rejected in those discussions, I have some white Salmon to sell you. Guaranteed not to turn pink.