Doolan

javeajag

4 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

If Miller comes I'll not be back..........aye right, but I'll be pure full of the rage. Everyone's form goes up and down, game to game, sometimes month to month, sometimes season to season. Unfortunately in this mad cap world of football loyalty from some is see as weakness, and counts for nothing when you're in an tight spot. Just my opinion but I agree a years contract in the strength if past endeavours would be a good move. Caldwell didn't so I guess we vent then move on

Agree. I will also be back. I can see Doolan going to another Championship club and scoring 10 plus next season.

2 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

If Miller comes I'll not be back..........aye right, but I'll be pure full of the rage. Everyone's form goes up and down, game to game, sometimes month to month, sometimes season to season. Unfortunately in this mad cap world of football loyalty from some is see as weakness, and counts for nothing when you're in an tight spot. Just my opinion but I agree a years contract in the strength if past endeavours would be a good move. Caldwell didn't so I guess we vent then move on

Nb I don't want Miller at Firhill. Then again many were spectacularly wrong about McDonald. I actually think Boyd would score a barrel load in our division. I doubt we can afford him....

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Lost my what ? 

The issue is whether you believe doolan could score goals next season when he has not done so in the last two 

Not to offer him a new contract is a perfectly  understandable decision whether you agree with it or not 

I just don’t see how he’s been treated badly 

Are your eyes painted on?

I'm saying you clearly have lost your passion in that posts if you can't understand why people are raging.

Why are we getting rid, or allowing a guy to go that has scored over 100 goals for us. So he has 8 excellent seasons and on the basis of 1 and a half seasons not perfect form say bye bye. Can you not understand why people are p1ssed off?

I get the rational based in the past season alone but he better have a better alternative. 

16 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Look at his goal record over the last two seasons and not Boyd or miller

My comment wasn't about keeping Doolan over Boyd or Miller. I don't want Boyd or Miller.

I'm assuming that if we are letting Doolan go we have decided to go for younger, faster strikers that we can build a team about. i.e someone under 30

However its interesting that Kilmarnock stuck by Boyd when he only scored 15 over 2 seasons (15/16 & 16/17). Boyd was around 32/33 years old. The following season after a change in management he scores 23. Do you think we could learn anything from that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree. I will also be back. I can see Doolan going to another Championship club and scoring 10 plus next season.

Me too AJ. Perhaps it will work out well for him. Needed a change and a new challenge perhaps. He'll come back to haunt us

1 minute ago, laukat said:

My comment wasn't about keeping Doolan over Boyd or Miller. I don't want Boyd or Miller.

I'm assuming that if we are letting Doolan go we have decided to go for younger, faster strikers that we can build a team about. i.e someone under 30

However its interesting that Kilmarnock stuck by Boyd when he only scored 15 over 2 seasons (15/16 & 16/17). Boyd was around 32/33 years old. The following season after a change in management he scores 23. Do you think we could learn anything from that?

Nope 

I'm saying you clearly have lost your passion in that posts if you can't understand why people are raging.

Why are we getting rid, or allowing a guy to go that has scored over 100 goals for us. So he has 8 excellent seasons and on the basis of 1 and a half seasons not perfect form say bye bye. Can you not understand why people are p1ssed off?

I get the rational based in the past season alone but he better have a better alternative. 

So if you disagree with your view you are not a passionate supporter? Bollox

I can understand the rage but in my view it’s misplaced I wouldn’t offer dools  a new contract precisely because I am passionate about us doing well .... I get the sentiment issues but we also need to win 

Just now, dl1971 said:

So if you disagree with your view you are not a passionate supporter? Bollox

Didnt say that 1971. Do pay attention. And stop making stuff up.

For the hard of understanding, including you 1971, I said he'd lost his passion if he didn't understand why people are raging.

Now, the adults are having a discussion, stop interrupting.

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

I can understand the rage but in my view it’s misplaced I wouldn’t offer dools  a new contract precisely because I am passionate about us doing well .... I get the sentiment issues but we also need to win 

Agreed

Just now, Thistleberight said:

Didnt say that 1971. Do pay attention. And stop making stuff up.

For the hard of understanding, including you 1971, I said he'd lost his passion if he didn't understand why people are raging.

Now, the adults are having a discussion, stop interrupting.

Childish 

Just now, javeajag said:

Nope

Not sure I follow your brief reply

You don't believe that a better managers can get players to perform better? You don't belive that class is permanent and form is temporary? You think that Kris Doolan at the age of 32 has lost all his ability?

• Like 1

Just now, laukat said:

Not sure I follow your brief reply

You don't believe that a better managers can get players to perform better? You don't belive that class is permanent and form is temporary? You think that Kris Doolan at the age of 32 has lost all his ability?

the last two seasons he has been poor.

42 minutes ago, milhouse said:

I don't agree with this. A game of that significance, with the very real threat of relegation, is not the correct context for a "cameo". Completely different, for example, to when Lambie brought on Chic Charnley for last 5 mins of his last game in charge - a meaningless end of season game.

The fans wouldn't have been aware that it was a farewell cameo anyway. His testimonial game is the correct time to say farewell on the pitch.

It was 3-0 mate. We had a sub.

Just now, javeajag said:

the last two seasons he has been poor.

Yip and I've pointed to Kris Boyd being poor at the same age for the same period of time and then a new manager comes in and suddenly he's back to his best.

So is it possible that a better manager than Caldwell gets Doolan back to his best?

Reckon he's been told he won't be a first team regular and I get a feeling if we have offered him a contract there would be a decent wage cut in it.

Doolan and Erskine will always be Legends at Firhill, but think that era is over and it's time to find new legends (if that makes sense) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, laukat said:

Yip and I've pointed to Kris Boyd being poor at the same age for the same period of time and then a new manager comes in and suddenly he's back to his best.

So is it possible that a better manager than Caldwell gets Doolan back to his best?

That’s a valid view but I can argue our last two managers have not done that 

all I’m really saying is given his recent form and age not offering him a new deal isn’t s bizarre decision  

19 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Reckon he's been told he won't be a first team regular and I get a feeling if we have offered him a contract there would be a decent wage cut in it.

Doolan and Erskine will always be Legends at Firhill, but think that era is over and it's time to find new legends (if that makes sense) 

Rumoured on Twitter he wasn't offered a contract -but Im sure the Club PR machine can swing into action to quash those rumours with a simple tweet ? 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

That’s a valid view but I can argue our last two managers have not done that 

all I’m really saying is given his recent form and age not offering him a new deal isn’t s bizarre decision  

And by the same token its also not a bizarre reaction to question Caldwells decision making and if he is the man to get the best out of the players.

When you add to that not giving Doolan a 10 minutes Cameo on Saturday its not an episode that Caldwell has managed particularly well. So logically a lot of supporters will be upset and wanting a different course of action.

Personally I think Doolan was better leaving as he clearly wasn't Caldwell's cup of tea. To my mind Erskine going impacted Doolan and it wouldn't surpirse me to see both in the same team next year. Doolan should be starting regularly for championship or bottom half of the SPL team. Having him on the bench for a team struggling to avoid relegation to the 3rd tier is just a waste of natural talent and has been a sad sight this year.

As I've said before the real question is who replaces him? Caldwell now has to ensure he signs a decent replacement or this will come back to haunt him very quickly.

• Like 1

Some Jags fans seriously need to calm down and look at the decision rationally. 

The guy was going to turn 34 this season, and clearly wasn't going to be getting regular first team football. I'd be pretty shocked if he wasn't offered a new deal, but Doolan not being content to warm the bench, and being all too aware that he only has one or two years left decided to seek first team football elsewhere. I don't see how that is Caldwell's fault. Doolan is a Jags legend, and always will be. But he is not a medium or long term solution to the current problems, and a fresh start is what is needed. I think this season showed that, despite dropping a division, Doolan's sharpness had declined slightly, and McDonald proved to be a far better option. That coupled with Doolan's high wages would not have made it a prudent move to keep him as second or third fiddle next season, when he could have been off getting first team football. 

I hope that for his sake that Ayr United fail to get promotion, and he can join back up with Ian McCall next season who will be looking for at least two new strikers. That would seem a fitting and almost poetic conclusion to one of the greatest players to grace the Firhill turf. 

But from the fans point of view, all this "f..k Caldwell" "I'm not renewing my season ticket..." blah blah blah nonsense has to stop. As I said, for all we know, Doolan was offered a new deal and maybe even an Academy coaching role, but wanted to seek first team games before the end of his career (Mark Roberts anyone?). 

The last two years collectively have been an absolute nightmare. So sentimentality needs to be discarded, and a fresh start needed. I'm really saddened to hear Doolan is gone, but since he, McDonald, and Storey have also left, we will be rebuilding a brand new attacking line next year. And who knows, maybe Caldwell will pull a masterstroke and unearth another gem who in a decades time we will be having the exact same conversation about as we are now. 

So pull it together. Doolan will get a fitting testimonial, and has been enshrined as a Thistle legend for as long as the club will exist. But football isn't stagnant, and change is needed. 

• Like 6