Doolan

javeajag

I just listened to the podcast with Kris Doolan on Radio Scotland 

I hope Kris get the contract he wants with a better club than us and starts again to score goals for fun … Kris will always be part of the PTFC family and is a player & a person to aspire to … I cannot say the same about Caldwell.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Kris Doolan himself told Radio Scotland in no uncertain terms that he was not offered a contract.

Happy?

I didn’t hear the interview on sportsound. I can’t say I am happy but glad that Doolan got to give his side of the story. It is sad that a long-standing and respected team member’s contract isn’t renewed. It’s life, though. It is a bit of a shock that a PR professional let’s this kind of thing happen.

50 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Or the wrong one .... very few people are suggesting doolan would be a starter but think we should have him based on performances from 3 years ago and you want us to be successful !

You make decisions at a Football Club factoring in the impact of both Football & your Fans - soo if Im sitting there Budgets tight- do I offer Doolan a Contract for a Year Player /Coach or do I keep two people in the Communications Dept - which one benefits the Club more - thats the sort of decisions GC - JLo and Gerry B are  there to make - its not purely about Football on the Park -we need to have an income stream and Fans views have to be factored in - so you look at the impact of your decision - look at the various options - so they made there choice - looks like its going to impact on revenue - looks like GC better get  a very Good Striker - looks like we are going to have to come up with additional revenues for the loss of Season Tickets etc - We are a business - we are not purely a Sporting Club - for that I strongly recommend going up to Garscube or Maryhill Harriers      

1 hour ago, dibble said:

Kris will always be a legend . In a lot of ways keeping kris would have been an easy option for Caldwell.  The one thing I would say about Caldwell is that he isn’t afraid to take hard decisions to move club forward. No room for sentiment in this game . Archie stated that one of his issues was he was too loyal. Right decision letting kris go - now is the time to bring in players who can move the club forward. 

I agree with this but it’s the way he has been treated it’s a disgrace.

• Like 1

Just now, That 1 jags fan said:

I think Doolans time was up but this is an awful way of treating him, fair enough if he didn’t want a coaching role or wanted more first team football but to tell him yesterday and complete lack of respect is shocking and sad. Caldwell better have another McDonald up his sleeve.

we didnt give him any options - he confirmed it tonight on the Radio - Club going in a New Direction - no place for him at Thistle - Playing or Coaching option were not on the table in any shape or form - No contract offered  

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

we didnt give him any options - he confirmed it tonight on the Radio - Club going in a New Direction - no place for him at Thistle - Playing or Coaching option were not on the table in any shape or form - No contract offered  

That’s what I’m saying. If Doolan had rejected a coaching offer then fair enough but to not offer him one is a disgrace.

The first goal I saw Kris Doolan score was a thumping shot against Morton in 2008...the last one was a penalty against Alloa in the season just ended ...in between there have been a host of typical Doolan finishes - either a good touch to make space and a quick shot or drifting into position to place a header into the net. He has been a very good player but more importantly a credit to himself and the Club. 

His goal against Motherwell from an Erskine assist in April 2017 secured our top 6 finish - a high water mark for the Club in 40 years. It has all gone horribly wrong since then. One of the criticisms I had of Archie was that Sammon and Storey did not fit the quick passing and movement which had been the team's strength.  I have been a critic of Storey but even more than his paltry goal return I believe his total number of assists is one which might well have been a factor in Doolan being less effective...Storey started in the majority of games under Caldwell. 

I don't have any confidence in Caldwell;s "new direction"...he failed with Wigan and Chesterfield and he has already failed with us...a last-day relegation escape in a League of poor sides is no achievement. I was underwhelmed by his player recruitment...MacDonald has gone and I would  far rather see Doolan and Erskine play for Thistle than any of the others who have been brought in. I didn't warm to Macnamara as an individual but he did brilliantly in identifying good young talent and moulding them into a team...I see no sign that Caldwell has that skill set.

Our Chairwoman seems out of her depth...her area of expertise is PR which to me is all smoke and mirrors. ..the Club's PR is quite deplorable...Storey's leaving message was genuine, honest and dignified...maybe the Club could learn from that.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I didn’t hear the interview on sportsound. I can’t say I am happy but glad that Doolan got to give his side of the story. It is sad that a long-standing and respected team member’s contract isn’t renewed. It’s life, though. It is a bit of a shock that a PR professional let’s this kind of thing happen.

A bit of a shock? Our PR has been a joke since last summer

Erskine

Training Ground

Ally Roy

Doolan

Monthly updates

Promotion is still the aim

Do I need to go on

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Pretty sure there has been previo

1 minute ago, Winter of '63 said:

The first goal I saw Kris Doolan score was a thumping shot against Morton in 2008...the last one was a penalty against Alloa in the season just ended ...in between there have been a host of typical Doolan finishes - either a good touch to make space and a quick shot or drifting into position to place a header into the net. He has been a very good player but more importantly a credit to himself and the Club. 

His goal against Motherwell from an Erskine assist in April 2017 secured our top 6 finish - a high water mark for the Club in 40 years. It has all gone horribly wrong since then. One of the criticisms I had of Archie was that Sammon and Storey did not fit the quick passing and movement which had been the team's strength.  I have been a critic of Storey but even more than his paltry goal return I believe his total number of assists is one which might well have been a factor in Doolan being less effective...Storey started in the majority of games under Caldwell. 

I don't have any confidence in Caldwell;s "new direction"...he failed with Wigan and Chesterfield and he has already failed with us...a last-day relegation escape in a League of poor sides is no achievement. I was underwhelmed by his player recruitment...MacDonald has gone and I would  far rather see Doolan and Erskine play for Thistle than any of the others who have been brought in. I didn't warm to Macnamara as an individual but he did brilliantly in identifying good young talent and moulding them into a team...I see no sign that Caldwell has that skill set.

Our Chairwoman seems out of her depth...her area of expertise is PR which to me is all smoke and mirrors. ..the Club's PR is quite deplorable...Storey's leaving message was genuine, honest and dignified...maybe the Club could learn from that.

Saw Storeys message and it was totally genuine , you could see Miles Storey’ s comfidence had totally gone . Don’t think Archie or Caldwell knew where to play him , either through the middle or out wide .

Doolan and the other strikers lack of goals are down to a lack of creativity within the team , Doolan sorely missed the creativity of Erskine and Stevie Lawless who instinctively knew what runs Dools would make and he scored a lot of goals from their assists .

Our midfield in general  this season has at best been functional but not picking out anyone in particular Banzo with the ability he has has no assists at all to his name this season , down mostly to Caldwell’s safety first tactics 

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

'Absolutely devastated' 'Not my decision to leave the club'

Now we can see why people on here are venting? No need for another thread jagfox, this one let's him feel the love

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The Club Announcement just looks like complete pre - written spin-after hearing the interview - if it was put out as suggested before he left the building- s being suggested then the credibility of the Club just hit rock bottom and we are being treated as idiots 

Well said

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Javejag   ,  if we’re going to have a successful future for years to come , the only reasonable way is to develop our players for the future as other revenue streams will dry up including the last parachute payment from the SPFL next season.

If  you want us to be successful should we base Gary Caldwell’s performances at Chesterfield and Wigan over the last 3 years as a benchmark?

Developing young players of course who would be against that 

Caldwell will be judged on what he does here

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I can’t say that I keep any score on whose statements appear to be right or wrong. What I get from various posts is “facts” being created to support whatever agenda people have. I am not saying this is the case with Norge in this situation. I am just asking for the proof for the avoidance of doubt.

Elvis is still alive, Lee Harvey was innocent, the sky is not blue and the world is not round.

25 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

We are not obliged to give anyone options ... he has scored 12 goals in two seasons 

If the Club are going in a different direction - what is it ? As there are no outward signs of any Plan off the Feild or on 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

We are not obliged to give anyone options ... he has scored 12 goals in two seasons 

I was replyimg to someone who suggested that we might have - and Ive replied to your purist Football line - but funny enough No response ?   

An employee with 10 years service, who took a 50% pay cut this year whilst turning down a better offfer in a better league to stay and help the club he loves is given 10 minutes to leave, and your ok with this?

Kris was representing the club at a primary school 2 days ago in his own time, we have a manager who can’t even stay for POTY event, who cares about the club more?

• Like 4

I agree with this actually. As I said previously, I think it would be insulting to Kris Doolan to keep him here for sentimental reasons, and it's the manager's decision whether there is a place for him, whether as a player or a coach. Personally I'd have thought he could do a job, but what do I know.

However it seems to have been very poorly handled. The one thing that Kris Doolan has undoubtedly earned is complete respect, and if he was informed (or uninformed) as reported then that is completely unacceptable.