Doolan

javeajag

35 minutes ago, Duck snort said:

2 seasons where the whole team has struggled and as a consequence the strikers have had a lot less chances. Kris didn't look quite as sharp this season but I'm convinced if he goes to a team that creates chances he'll take a fair share of them.

Shankland and Dobbie have been the yardstick by which all Championship strikers have been measured this season so it's worth looking at the league stats:

Shankland - 24 goals in 2622 minutes from 90 attempts

Dobbie - 21 goals in 2593 minutes from 115 attempts

Doolan - 6 goals in 2062 minutes from 39 attempts

Stats don't tell the whole story but Dobbie's conversion rate is only slightly better than Doolan's. What's most damning from those stats is how few chances we created for Doolan. I'd wager that Henrik Larsson at his best would have struggled for goals with Miles Storey providing the "crosses" from one flank!

Had he stayed I don't think any of us would have expected him to be the main man but he would surely have been worth a place as a squad man coming off the bench and making the occasional start. It's obvious from his comments on the radio tonight he wanted to stay and as someone who loves the club he would likely have been happy playing that lesser role while combining it with the coaching. Can you think of anyone who would be a better example to the kids in the academy? I think he's a major loss for the club.

Apologies if this causes you to much work but would be interesting to see McDonalds stats in comparison to those 3 as well 

You are some windup merchant javajag. Couln't stop bumping your gums complaining incessantly when Archibald was the manager, post after post after post of negativity.

And now you've performed a complete 180 and Caldwell cannot do a thing wrong.

You need to step away from the keyboard and because every thread is rammed full of your shite.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, javeajag said:

How ?

Failing to give him 10 minutes at Palmerston to cap off his competitive career with a Thistle, when we were 3-0 up, in the full knowledge he had no intention of offering him a contract next season. Disregarding in the process a level of loyalty almost unheard of in modern football.

You don’t have to be cold and nasty to make #HardDecisions. There are ways of doing things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, West of Scotland said:

You are some windup merchant javajag. Couln't stop bumping your gums complaining incessantly when Archibald was the manager, post after post after post of negativity.

And now you've performed a complete 180 and Caldwell cannot do a thing wrong.

You need to step away from the keyboard and because every thread is rammed full of your shite.

I am not defending Caldwell ... I am understanding that doolan time was up as was Archie so consistent :) 

When Mac Donald started and Doolan was on the bench explain why you would have reversed roles ? 

Just now, Woodstock Jag said:

Failing to give him 10 minutes at Palmerston to cap off his competitive career with a Thistle, when we were 3-0 up, in the full knowledge he had no intention of offering him a contract next season. Disregarding in the process a level of loyalty almost unheard of in modern football.

You don’t have to be cold and nasty to make #HardDecisions. There are ways of doing things.

Sure that’s a viewpoint but not one I feel strongly about 

Just now, Woodstock Jag said:

Only someone who doesn’t have Thistle’s long term interests at heart would blindly throw their money at the Club regardless of how badly it was being run or how bad a culture their money was enabling.

Really think about that post ....guardian of what’s right 

37 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Nonsense, the majority of players still at the Club were already there when Caldwell arrived Sneddon , Elliott, Penrice, Mcginty, Bannigan , Slater, Spittal , Fitzpatrick, Doolan , Storey , Shea Gordon , Tam O ware

Caldwell added a few loan players Anderson, McDonald, McMillan, Mansell who have all returned to their parent clubs as well as Shea Gordon 

Saunders might do fine for us next season , not sure if Cardle will stay but he could help .

Harkins was a waste of a wage at his age , his best days behind him.

So to say it’s Caldwell’s team is not strictly true as the majority of the players were already there , it’ll be an interesting summer 

I never said it was Caldwell s team but I firmly believe his summer signings last year would have been better than Archie’s . His signings in January made all the difference to the team which on 2019 form was the third best in the league. Convinced he would have had us in the play offs especially given the size of our budget this season.      Oh and bye the way he was right to let erskine go.     

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Apologies if this causes you to much work but would be interesting to see McDonalds stats in comparison to those 3 as well 

Just lifted from the BBC website. McDonald had 6 goals in 870 minutes from 24 attempts. More attempts per minutes than Doolan but McDonald far more likely to shoot from range.  

2 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

You mean like when you wanted rid of Archie ? 

I did and believe time has shown me to be right ... keeping Archie was a mistake and lead to Caldwell .... but I don’t remember saying I would withdraw my support from the club because they kept him 

I'm surmising of course but I think most on here believe the Club and manager have handled Doolan's departure badly. I realise not offering him a new contract is different from him being sacked. But to someone whose loyalty to the Club is unquestionable after ten years service the outcome must feel the same. Off the top of my head I can think of many ways this could've been handled so much better and with the respect befitting to a Club legend.

So  regardless of which side of the fence you're on re Doolan staying or leaving there's another worrying factor involved. The Club and manager appear to lack tact, decorum and any semblance of interaction with the support. What faith can we possibly have that they'll be able to communicate effectively with players the manager wants to sign/re-sign?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

The manager / board forget that when a player has been idolized for the last 10 years, it is the supporters  that need closure when a player moves on.

We should have been allowed to show Doolan our appreciation and not have this taken away from us by people who have not experienced the highs and lows over the last 10 years.

Probably the right footballing decision for him to move on but another example of the supporters being completely disregarded. 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

12 league goals in two seasons , accepted as having poor form , rarely started by last two managers .....it’s s perfectly understandable decision ..... 

Rarely started by last 2 managers. Yet he managed to score 121 goals. Also he was the all time 3rd top scorer in the latest version of the premier league up to a year or so. Not bad stats for somebody who rarely started. We will wait a long time if ever to see somebody like him in a Thistle team again.

2 hours ago, afraser said:

Thanks. Very dignified interview. He will have no problem getting another club. Some on this forum have said he has been off form over the past 2 seasons. By his very high standards you cant argue with that. But although his time on the pitch  could have been limited, his experience of being at Firhill for 10 years and working under 3 different managers before Caldwell would have been handy. He also had 4 very good years in the premier league where he got into double figures with goals and we have now discarded all that experience without even offering him a contract. Also don't forget his loyalty to the club. A questionable decision imo.  

4 hours ago, watties wallies said:

as a thistle fan i am totally and utterly ashamed, how my club has treated this player

just listened to doolan on the radio, he has been treated like absolute shite

caldwell should be out the door right now

a player that has given 10 years to our club, not a young player or a player that signed up for one season

but a player that has been part of ptfc, committed to the cause, in other words a jag just like you and me

this is not the partick thistle that i have supported 

This. 

5 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Thanks. Very dignified interview. He will have no problem getting another club. Some on this forum have said he has been off form over the past 2 seasons. By his very high standards you cant argue with that. But although his time on the pitch  could have been limited, his experience of being at Firhill for 10 years and working under 3 different managers before Caldwell would have been handy. He also had 4 very good years in the premier league where he got into double figures with goals and we have now discarded all that experience without even offering him a contract. Also don't forget his loyalty to the club. A questionable decision imo.  

Also a very good coach at youth level which is an absolute waste as well .

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm surmising of course but I think most on here believe the Club and manager have handled Doolan's departure badly. I realise not offering him a new contract is different from him being sacked. But to someone whose loyalty to the Club is unquestionable after ten years service the outcome must feel the same. Off the top of my head I can think of many ways this could've been handled so much better and with the respect befitting to a Club legend.

So  regardless of which side of the fence you're on re Doolan staying or leaving there's another worrying factor involved. The Club and manager appear to lack tact, decorum and any semblance of interaction with the support. What faith can we possibly have that they'll be able to communicate effectively with players the manager wants to sign/re-sign?

This, and that’s why I’m out for next season. Treating our third highest scorer of all time like this in the middle of his testimonial year is absolutely appalling. It’s a massive blunder.

This is not the Club I have loved for 20 years or so. I’d rather be labelled a ‘conditional fan’ by javeajag than stay silent over this pile of sh*te.

The Club have shot themselves in the foot today.

Not in my name.