Doolan

javeajag

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

I thought you were away to start another thread 2 days ago. You said you were fed up with all the crying then, yet you are still on this thread. Do make your mind up jagfox.

I used to admire your posts but you're becoming so predictable:frantic:

So are you. You always end a discussion with some attempt at what you think is humour.

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Good player that Lawless was , he never achieved what Doolan did , record goal scorer , inducted into our Hall of Fame , the Club showed have treated Doolan with more respect.

To be honest, while I think there are valid concerns about how Doolan has been treated, I don't really go along with this idea that others are less deserving of dignified treatment because they are not legends of the club. I'd like to think that all of Thistle's staff should be treated decently.

I get why there is more sentiment and passion around Kris Doolan, but I think the bigger picture is about how people are treated more generally. As I posted previously, I'd be interested in how the other released players were informed,

20 minutes ago, allyo said:

To be honest, while I think there are valid concerns about how Doolan has been treated, I don't really go along with this idea that others are less deserving of dignified treatment because they are not legends of the club. I'd like to think that all of Thistle's staff should be treated decently.

I get why there is more sentiment and passion around Kris Doolan, but I think the bigger picture is about how people are treated more generally. As I posted previously, I'd be interested in how the other released players were informed,

I totally agree with you but Doolan was not only a player but also part of the coaching staff as well, which makes this a bit strange, so in effect he lost both positions at the Club

Edited by jlsarmy

4 hours ago, jagfox said:

I'd rather have a hard nosed manager at the moment. John Lambie was a tough manager who didn't suffer fools gladly. GC is similar in that he couldn't suffer Dools gladly...

Appalling, not even funny. Dools did a huge amount of goodwill work in hospitals & schools for the Club.

If Caldwell can’t suffer Club ambassadors doing good, then he is clearly rather selfish.

• Downvote 2

Caldwell sacks Dools somehow taking the 'hard decision' (deluded arrogant f***wit more like).

So we start very badly next season, does Jacqui Lowe take the 'hard decision' and sack Caldwell? No chance.

I can feel in my waater a Dick Campbellesque season approaching. He'll need to go by Christmas unless he gets one of the veteran striker targets to save his skin.

18 hours ago, sandy said:

Appalling, not even funny. Dools did a huge amount of goodwill work in hospitals & schools for the Club.

If Caldwell can’t suffer Club ambassadors doing good, then he is clearly rather selfish.

Dry your eyes ffs!

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

So are you. You always end a discussion with some attempt at what you think is humour.

Thanks for the critique, and for getting involved.

16 hours ago, alx said:

Caldwell sacks Dools somehow taking the 'hard decision' (deluded arrogant f***wit more like).

So we start very badly next season, does Jacqui Lowe take the 'hard decision' and sack Caldwell? No chance.

I can feel in my waater a Dick Campbellesque season approaching. He'll need to go by Christmas unless he gets one of the veteran striker targets to save his skin.

A) He didn't sack him

B ) You are speculating about whether she would sack him or not

C) That's just your water. It's probably not all that reliable.

Edited by allyo

16 hours ago, alx said:

It's almost as though you (and some others) want this to happen...

I personally would have given Kris Doolan a contract for another season as I think he would continue to score a good number of goals if playing in a team which wasn't struggling to the same extent as that assembled by Archibald for the start of last season. I'm not a football manager, however.

I think Caldwell is right to an extent in his interview in that I'm not sure what the "nice way" to release a player is. Brings to mind the scene in the film Moneyball, where the management are deciding to release players and basically agree to be completely blunt with them. Doolan would obviously have been upset/angry in his interviews - we all would be after losing a job.

I'm a massive fan of Kris Doolan and always will be, but I'm a Thistle fan first and foremost. 

Hopefully we can all move on a bit and get behind the team for the new season.

Edited by milhouse
  • Like 2

I feel conflicted about it, football is a brutal environment and sentiment has at times hampered progress at our club via over-loyalty and others plus at the national level.  That said who listening to Dools on the radio doesn't feel gutted for Kris and it's a shame how it all ended, at least he will have options.   I'm prepared to give GC a chance, he's not the kind of individual that fans easily warm to but let's see how things pan out.  For those who are now chucking it, 2 questions:

1 What do you hope to achieve by not renewing a season ticket/paying at the gate?

2 Should we all chuck it and if we do then with the resultant drain of financial income for the club how would that improve things?

13 minutes ago, macaroon said:

I feel conflicted about it, football is a brutal environment and sentiment has at times hampered progress at our club via over-loyalty and others plus at the national level.  That said who listening to Dools on the radio doesn't feel gutted for Kris and it's a shame how it all ended, at least he will have options.   I'm prepared to give GC a chance, he's not the kind of individual that fans easily warm to but let's see how things pan out.  For those who are now chucking it, 2 questions:

1 What do you hope to achieve by not renewing a season ticket/paying at the gate?

2 Should we all chuck it and if we do then with the resultant drain of financial income for the club how would that improve things?

You no doubt know the reply to that will be along the lines of being treated like a mug, taken for granted, patronised etc etc. I'll probably renew my ST but it's in my nature to be pragmatic re principles and tolerance. Even at that one unforeseen household expenditure and I know what's top of the list to offset the cost. Others I'm sure are more dogmatic and each will have their own threshold re principle and/or tolerance. 

So.

You love your job.  You love the organisation, to the extent that you go out your way to be a champion and a role model for it.  It's been your home, so to speak, for the last decade and you don't see yourself working anywhere else.  In fact, you are even due to be rewarded for your service and loyalty and to top it off, your customers love you.  Your boss, who's not been in the job for very long, asks to see you and tells you that you're no longer required as he wants to move the organisation "in a different direction".

I'd be more than devastated.  It quite honestly is an abhorrent way to treat someone who has been an outstanding example to all who work with or support Partick Thistle.

Yes, Kris hasn't had a great couple of seasons, but neither has the rest of the team.  Without the midfield creating the chances efforts on goal were few and far between.  Lets face it, we could have had Lionel Messi playing for us and he would've struggled to score goals.  There is no doubting Kris's ability or his commitment by anyone other than Gary Caldwell (his commitment to the club might actually have been the problem for Caldwell, he saw Doolan as a threat).

Keeping him at the club for his experience and knowledge, plus his development as a coach, and dare I suggest a potential future manage, was surely a no brainer.  It's these kind of professionals that other clubs would kill to have.  With the right recruitment I'm sure he would be back scoring plenty.  

Releasing the guy is bonkers, and the manner in which this has been handled  almost seems malicious.

Caldwell has made a rod for his own back now with this.  There are signs that he's turned it round, but if it goes wrong at the start of the season for him it seems likely many fans will give him short shrift.

I really thought that as a club PTFC was better than this.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Lanarkjag said:

So.

You love your job.  You love the organisation, to the extent that you go out your way to be a champion and a role model for it.  It's been your home, so to speak, for the last decade and you don't see yourself working anywhere else.  In fact, you are even due to be rewarded for your service and loyalty and to top it off, your customers love you.  Your boss, who's not been in the job for very long, asks to see you and tells you that you're no longer required as he wants to move the organisation "in a different direction".

I'd be more than devastated.  It quite honestly is an abhorrent way to treat someone who has been an outstanding example to all who work with or support Partick Thistle.

Yes, Kris hasn't had a great couple of seasons, but neither has the rest of the team.  Without the midfield creating the chances efforts on goal were few and far between.  Lets face it, we could have had Lionel Messi playing for us and he would've struggled to score goals.  There is no doubting Kris's ability or his commitment by anyone other than Gary Caldwell (his commitment to the club might actually have been the problem for Caldwell, he saw Doolan as a threat).

Keeping him at the club for his experience and knowledge, plus his development as a coach, and dare I suggest a potential future manage, was surely a no brainer.  It's these kind of professionals that other clubs would kill to have.  With the right recruitment I'm sure he would be back scoring plenty.  

Releasing the guy is bonkers, and the manner in which this has been handled  almost seems malicious.

Caldwell has made a rod for his own back now with this.  There are signs that he's turned it round, but if it goes wrong at the start of the season for him it seems likely many fans will give him short shrift.

Agree , and for whatever reason he saw Doolan and Erskine as threats , most managers try to get the senior pros onside with them , usually as a buffer between them and the other players especially the younger ones to get their ideas across .

Gary Caldwell has a different methodology, maybe his arrogance is getting in the way , time will tell .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lanarkjag said:

So.

Agree , and for whatever reason he saw Doolan and Erskine as threats , most managers try to get the senior pros onside with them , usually as a buffer between them and the other players especially the younger ones to get their ideas across .

Gary Caldwell has a different methodology, maybe his arrogance is getting in the way , time will tell .

In Archibald's last full lesgue season Ryan Edwards played more minutes than Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan put together....

Kris actually played more minutes this season.

Chris's 10 games at Livingston seem quite uneventful. 8 starts (subbed off in 7) and 2 substitute appearances with 1 goal averaging 60 minutes a pop.

Edited by jagfox
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, macaroon said:

Probably:

1. More enjoyable Saturdays

2. The replacement of Gary Caldwell

3. An acknowledgement of culpability from and a shake-up of, the board

The only means of influence fans have is with their wallets and their voices.

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

In Archibald's last full lesgue season Ryan Edwards played more minutes than Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan put together....

Chris's 10 games at Livingston seem quite uneventful. 8 starts (subbed off in 7) and 2 substitute appearances with 1 goal averaging 60 minutes a pop.

Still never as uneventful as our season was.

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

And how did Archie’s last season end up  ?

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Ok....fact check....

he saw D and C as threats ......made up ?

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Ok....fact check....

he saw D and C as threats ......made up ?

Hall of Fame dinner for Dools , some of the current players were saying that Kris was getting the same treatment as his pal ( Chris Erskine) and getting frozen out . At that  particular time , Kris had been on the bench for the last 4 games and had no game time at all .

If his teammates were saying that , well you can make up your mind  on that one .

Edited by jlsarmy