Doolan

javeajag

12 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Exactly M'lady.  As I understand it, if a club is seen to have anything to do with a player's testimonial (except donating the use of the ground) HMRC treat any income as earned income and therefore liable to tax.  Happy to be corrected if the rules have changed.   

These rules have actually been/are in the process of being simplified. Funnily enough one of the "micro-Bills" currently going through Parliament at the moment (to justify not ending the current session) concerns the treatment of testimonials for national insurance purposes.

For what it's worth I think Doolan's testimonial income is likely to fall short of the relevant thresholds after which it would make a great deal of difference either way.

38 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

There was a jag treated worse - Kenny Watson - not even offered a testimonial for all he did. He was treated considerably worse than Doolan 

Kenny Watson was "only" at Thistle for 9 seasons. Now he's from before my time, but saying he was badly treated because he didn't get a testimonial would be a bit like saying Christie has been badly treated because he hasn't had a testimonial.

That would be a weird thing to say.

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Think the problem has been at most football clubs the Senior Pros are allowed a say within the dressing room , not undermining the manager but allowed an opinion nonetheless.

This was certainly the case when Archie was there , Doolan and Erskine were allowed an opinion , but obviously Caldwell wants to do things his way . 

Doolan is a huge loss even in terms of coaching the U18s who were doing well , at least Scott Allison recognised the input that Dools had coaching the youngsters .

Huge call from Caldwell, if he doesn’t start the season well , he’ll be gone in my opinion.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Yes you’ve said that 8,009,654 times now .....

And yet some people still need reminded

8 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

My friend if 50 years (trust him completely) was at his son's  football game last weekend and got chatting to  one if the people who helped run the other team. My mate was wearing a Thistle training top so the conversation turned to Thistle with the other chap asking my mate's thoughts on Doolan leaving. My mate is one of the nicest people you could meet, and his is the most considerate of people and is a very measured person. His response was that its the managers gig and he needs to be allowed to do his job.

Turns out this chap was Caldwells cousin. He went on to tell my mate that Caldwell told him he identified erskine and dools as his problem children as soon as he arrived and decided quite a while ago they were out. 

As much as I despised Caldwell, it's a fair point that this is his job now and he stands or falls by his decision. I just think he's wrong and very naive.

If it is true he thought Erskine and Doolan were problem children, really. 2 Players with their experience in the top 2 leagues in Scotland, their professionalism and the things they did for Thistle of the park. He has never managed in Scotland, he should have been using them to help him ease into the job, not see them as a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

If it is true he thought Erskine and Doolan were problem children, really. 2 Players with their experience in the top 2 leagues in Scotland, their professionalism and the things they did for Thistle of the park. He has never managed in Scotland, he should have been using them to help him ease into the job, not see them as a problem.

Spot on AJ, it's just incredulous that he didn't get them on board and use them as you suggest. 

Now, I don't know either Chris nor kris, and I'm sure you met them far more than I, but neither strike me as being a problem to their employer. Why would Gary Caldwell mark them as a problem to get rid of?

Is it the age old bully boy bossman tactic of taking on the biggest character smashing them down so the others think "blinking flip, if he does that to them what's he going to do to me"? school of management. I just don't get it.

34 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Spot on AJ, it's just incredulous that he didn't get them on board and use them as you suggest. 

Now, I don't know either Chris nor kris, and I'm sure you met them far more than I, but neither strike me as being a problem to their employer. Why would Gary Caldwell mark them as a problem to get rid of?

Is it the age old bully boy bossman tactic of taking on the biggest character smashing them down so the others think "blinking flip, if he does that to them what's he going to do to me"? school of management. I just don't get it.

I have only met both once. Chris when he visited Robert in hospital.  Chris and Callum  Booth spent about an hour speaking to Robert, Eunice and myself. Both were a credit to themselves and Thistle and I will never forget the look and smile on Robert's face when both players walked into his bed space as he new nothing about the visit. I met Kris for the only time when I presented the 100 goal trophy to him. He spoke at the POTY event a few weeks ago. He said that he knew this  season had not  been good enough, they would get the result required at QOS and look forward to doing better next season. No sign of he wouldn't be with Thistle at the end of the season.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Any evidence Caldwell thought of them as a problem ? 

Clearly you don’t get it ....managerdecides which players to keep or not shock 

caldwell will be judged by his results and you can argue the team improved after erskine left 

5 hours ago, javeajag said:

Clearly you don’t get it ....managerdecides which players to keep or not shoc

That analysis is too cold. Erskine & Doolan were Thistle through & through. 

To bin out third highest goal scorer of all time half-way through his testimonial year is just crass. 

6 hours ago, javeajag said:

caldwell will be judged by his results and you can argue the team improved after erskine left 

If the team did improve in January that was nothing to do with Chris Erskine leaving ,he wasn’t playing any games before that and hadn’t been in the team from November onwards .

21 minutes ago, sandy said:

To bin out third highest goal scorer of all time half-way through his testimonial year is just crass. 

Shows us in a bad light , pretty sure the decision was made weeks before, no idea why Kris’s agent wasn’t contacted to say there is nothing for him next season but instead Britton and Low said nothing, let him carry on with his coaching duties , his off the park duties and gave him from what I understand 1 hours notice .

Totally embarrassing for everyone involved at the Club ,especially as what Dools has meant to the fans . Hope  they’re all called out tomorrow night at Firhill.

1 hour ago, sandy said:

To not offer a new contract to a player at the end of the season is what happens in every football club 

45 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

If the team did improve in January that was nothing to do with Chris Erskine leaving ,he wasn’t playing any games before that and hadn’t been in the team from November onwards .

How do you know ? The team improved and erskine had left 

34 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Shows us in a bad light , pretty sure the decision was made weeks before, no idea why Kris’s agent wasn’t contacted to say there is nothing for him next season but instead Britton and Low said nothing, let him carry on with his coaching duties , his off the park duties and gave him from what I understand 1 hours notice .

Totally embarrassing for everyone involved at the Club ,especially as what Dools has meant to the fans . Hope  they’re all called out tomorrow night at Firhill.

Yes your pretty sure .....because again you made that up as you don’t know and what you do t know is huge 

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Yes your pretty sure .....because again you made that up as you don’t know and what you do t know is huge 

Instead of calling people out , maybe if you actually had an opinion sometimes that would be good .

Are you really thinking that last Thursday, without any ratification from the Chief Exec or Jaqui Low that this decision was made regarding Kris Doolans contract or do you possibly think it was decided weeks before ? 

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Instead of calling people out , maybe if you actually had an opinion sometimes that would be good .

Are you really thinking that last Thursday, without any ratification from the Chief Exec or Jaqui Low that this decision was made regarding Kris Doolans contract or do you possibly think it was decided weeks before ? 

I have no idea and neither do you but unlike you I don’t just make things up .....I’ll put £10 on 3 May 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I have no idea and neither do you but unlike you I don’t just make things up .....I’ll put £10 on 3 May 

Have you even got an opinion either way ?, my opinion was obviously based on Kris Doolans interview and I would take his view at face value unless you think Kris is lying 

Edited by jlsarmy

14 minutes ago, javeajag said:

To be fair, some players had been offered contracts in advance of end of season, so it’s fairly logical to assume it was unlikely kris was getting a new contract, and that was known prior to end of season. 

Your evidence threshold seems to be higher than what is needed in a court of law!  And you demand evidence for everything - only you are permitted conjecture. 

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Have you even got an opinion either way ?, my opinion was obviously based on Kris Doolans interview and I would take his view at face value unless you think Kris is lying 

Clearly I’m of the view that it’s a rational decision not to offer Doolan a new contract given his recent form and scoring record .....most of us would agree that he had another poor season 

now you either take the view that a player titled a legend by some fans is untouchable and should play till he decides to stop or be given a coaching job because he’s a legend of you let the manager decide which I’m happy with

archie the legend that he is got us relegated 

because you hate Caldwell so much he can do no right 

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Clearly I’m of the view that it’s a rational decision not to offer Doolan a new contract given his recent form and scoring record .....most of us would agree that he had another poor season 

now you either take the view that a player titled a legend by some fans is untouchable and should play till he decides to stop or be given a coaching job because he’s a legend of you let the manager decide which I’m happy with

archie the legend that he is got us relegated 

because you hate Caldwell so much he can do no right 

Great we’ve got an opinion at last , didn’t think he had a right for a contract as you say that’s the managers call but there is a right way to treat people especially a player who has been with us for 10 years and in the middle of his testimonial year and contributed so much on and off the park . Surely this should have been dealt with better rather than Kris getting lumped in with the other free transfers ( McCarthy, Eadie etc )

I’m more critical of Gerry Britton and Jaqui Low for not showing any direction in this , whether that would have been a joint statement to suit both parties or at the very least have told Kris Doolan there was nothing on the table for him weeks before either coaching or playing.

The way this has developed has not only put doubts into the minds of supporters about the manager but also the people who are actually running the Club.

Even though there has been a backlash Gerry Britton and Jaqui Low have said absolutely nothing.

I’ll be at Firhill tomorrow night , be interesting to hear what they’ve got to say .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, javeajag said:

Caldwell won't be solely judged by his results. 

11 hours ago, javeajag said:

And you clearly can't see the nose on the end of your face. We'll have to disagree on how our club, manager, board, team etc are performing. You carry on arguing that the team improved after Erskine left all you like. You'll never convince me Caldwell is "the man". If he takes us up, I'll certainly concede I was wrong. Still doesn't mean I have to like him.