Doolan

javeajag

Just now, Norgethistle said:

Java as per norm, the club the board and the manager can do no wrong in your eyes.

He had a relegation release clause which he never triggered as he wanted to play for the club all whilst taking a large pay cut, and the manager and ultimately the club treats him like this. 

His 6 goals this season may not have been great, but he started the season playing with an injury, and when you look to his goals per minutes ratio on 24 starts and 6 sub appearances it’s not that bad

That’s quite funny when you think how long I argued for Archie to go....

12 goals in two seasons and his form was poor but let’s play him till what he decides to leave ? It’s a judgement call and not a bizarre one imo

Many on here have savaged PTFC for being too soft. Not ruthless enough. Caldwell is clearly not soft and is doing what football managers do...emmm. Be ruthless. Some are saying kris would still score 10 Plus goals a season

. That's not good enough. We need a guy who scores 20 or 30 plus a season to really challenge.  

Accepting the status quo is unambituous and aligns us to the oft quoted cuddly toy persona. 

I see some...yet again...are saying we will struggle next season despite no evidence to back it up apart from...we don't like Caldwell. The same people predicted wrongly we would go down.

Let's wait and see what happens next. 

Edited by dl1971
Typo

35 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

What large portion of the fans? What size would you say.? 

Sorry mate, Yougov haven’t reported their findings to me yet so not able to provide a statistical analysis. But I’m willing to bet a reasonable percentage of fans have serious doubts about him. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

1 minute ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Sorry mate, Yougov haven’t reported their findings to me yet so not only to provide a statistically analysis. But I’m willing to bet a reasonable percentage of fans have serious doubts about him. 

I would think that’s true but he will be judged on next seasons results 

Just now, KemoAvdiu said:

Sorry mate, Yougov haven’t reported their findings to me yet so not only to provide a statistically analysis. But I’m willing to bet a reasonable percentage of fans have serious doubts about him. 

5 per cent. 10 per cent? I have doubts but the thistle fans I know are content for now to give him some time. A reasonable proportion of fans seem to think the same but yep like you that's just my gut. Never bet on a gut feeling. Let's see who the new recruits will be and well soon find out how good or bad the season will turn out. 

Sorry to move away from the main issue of this thread but it seems that we as a society have become unable to take an issue, look at all sides of it, form an opinion then debate it with others without getting personal/nasty - Brexit and Scottish Independence being two obvious examples. Kris Doolan not being offered a new deal is a footballing decision made by our manager who is paid to make such decisions. It will either be the right or wrong decision but that won't be known for a while yet. Because you think that Kris should get a deal does not mean that Gary Caldwell is a monster. Equally if you think the manager is correct on this it does not mean that he has made mistakes with other things. Let us have a debate on it by all means (that is what the forum is for) but remember that we can disagree without being disagreeable.

Partick Thistle Football Club - bigger than any individual.

3 hours ago, laukat said:

Yip and I've pointed to Kris Boyd being poor at the same age for the same period of time and then a new manager comes in and suddenly he's back to his best.

So is it possible that a better manager than Caldwell gets Doolan back to his best?

It is possible. But Caldwell is the manager for next season.

Sorry to go off topic with the pro/anti Caldwell boring stuff, and just to bring things round to the point of this thread I think but.....

Kris..thanks for the memories. I've got the t-shirts and I'll wear them proudly on the streets of London. I've got the memories and I'll always quote your name with respect and honour in any conversation. And most of all I've got the wish that wherever life takes you for the remaining few years of your career that the path will return you to Firhill sometime in the future where there'll always be a welcome and even a pint. Good luck Sir.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Many on here have savaged PTFC for being too soft. Not ruthless enough. Caldwell is clearly not soft and is doing what football managers do...emmm. Be ruthless. Some are saying kris would still score 10 Plus goals a season

That's not good enough. We need a guy who scores 20 or 30 plus a season to really challenge.  

Accepting the status quo is unambituous and aligns us to the oft quoted cuddly toy persona. 

I see some...yet again...are saying we will struggle next season despite no evidence to back it up apart from...we don't like Caldwell. The same people predicted wrongly we would go down.

Let's wait and see what happens next. 

Best will in the world this is rubbish. The year we won the league not a single player in our team scored 20 goals. By contrast Dobbie scored something like 40 this season and look where it got Queens.

The key to a successful team is not one striker banging in all the goals; it's a balanced squad that in the round scores goals. Doolan's main attribute was his ability to link-up with others and create opportunities. His contribution was as much in his build-up play with players like Erskine and Lawless as it ever was for racking-up the tap-ins.

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It is possible. But Caldwell is the manager for next season.

He will certainly start as the manager for next season depending on results that may change quickly.

Edited by laukat
typo

30 minutes ago, javeajag said:

In YOUR opinion not mine.....it’s not a requirement 

No - but its the decent thing to do -  and it says a lot about our Manager - you can make tough decisions - but you can also show a bit of Class about you - but Hey Ho its the

JLo - Caldwell show   - so far £1MN parachute money - we didnt get relegated - zero sign of a training ground on any level - so we will see what they actually deliver beyond Press Interviews & PR statements   

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

You are making the assumption that Doolan leaving was known prior to Saturday by the club.

Saturday was such an important game for us that any further distraction(envelopegate aside) might have tipped the balance in QOS favour.

Balls - we were 3-0 up with 16 mins + injury time left to play - he could have put Doolan on after the third goal without risking the result.

so many things i could say about this

in my simple mind this is a sad day for partick thistle, the team that i have supported through thick and thin  since my grandfather, wattie, lifted me over the turnstiles back in 1959

Kris Doolan for me has been, and still was, one of the better quality players that i have seen over the years wearing the red and yellow

if it is the case that doolan was not offered a contract, then shame on those at the helm at ptfc

he is ,and has said so, that he is thistle through and through

and for it to end this way is unforgivable

surely this is not the thistle way?

Kris Doolan deserved better than this

Just now, Jordanhill Jag said:

No - but its the decent thing to do -  and it says a lot about our Manager - you can make tough decisions - but you can also show a bit of Class about you - but Hey Ho its the

JLo - Caldwell show   - so far £1MN parachute money - we didnt get relegated - zero sign of a training ground on any level - so we will see what they actually deliver beyond Press Interviews & PR statements   

We will and I hope your disappointed !

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Sure but some his hope he stays as that means we will be doing well 

Yes and I hope Caldwell has top of the league from day one of the season all the way to the end.

However given the way he's handled this and other issues he's put extra pressure on himself. Any feel good factor from the QOS game has already been destroyed.

2 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Best will in the world this is rubbish. The year we won the league not a single player in our team scored 20 goals. By contrast Dobbie scored something like 40 this season and look where it got Queens.

The key to a successful team is not one striker banging in all the goals; it's a balanced squad that in the round scores goals. Doolan's main attribute was his ability to link-up with others and create opportunities. His contribution was as much in his build-up play with players like Erskine and Lawless as it ever was for racking-up the tap-ins.

You are being selective. Of course a team scoring goals from all angles can be successful, but generally speaking the team with an out and goalscorer tends to be more successful. Lionel Messi, Mo Salah to name but two. Where would Ayr be without Shankland or Raith without Nisbet? If you're going to say I'm talking rubbish your argument needs to be sound. It's not.

Just now, laukat said:

Yes and I hope Caldwell has top of the league from day one of the season all the way to the end.

However given the way he's handled this and other issues he's put extra pressure on himself. Any feel good factor from the QOS game has already been destroyed.

That’s up to him it’s  a results business 

not for me 

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

First things first - thanks Kris for everything you did on and off the pitch over the last 10 years!

I can understand all the different emotions and reactions on here since the news came out but as has been said by others the manager must be allowed to make his own decisions. At the moment we don't know who will be signed and what the team will look like next season and it will only be then we will know if it was a good decision or not. The unpleasant truth is that we (football fans in general) are a fickle bunch and if come the end of 2019 we are scoring goals and challenging for promotion nobody will be saying anything about this but the reverse is also true.

I argued Archie's case when others were calling for his head only to be told being a legend and having done well in the past was one thing but there was no place in football for sentiment and no one man was bigger than the club. This would have been a tough decision but they do need to be made and I am sure we all hope that Partick Thistle will perform better next season than we have done in the last two.

The important difference is that Doolan hasn't failed, and managers aren't the same as players.

I said at the time that Archie should have gone at the end of the 2017-18 season. He had failed at his objective.

Doolan hasn't failed at his objective. He's scored fewer goals than he ought or would have liked to, but hasn't been given the game-time in which to do it. He's been injured for part of the season. His role could have very plausibly evolved in a way that Archie's could not.

The foundations of our promotion success were built on recognising that some senior players would be taking a less prominent role in the main squad but providing mentoring for a young and vibrant team. Doolan was an ideal candidate to start to fill those shoes.

There are I think two separate issues here:

Caldwell's judgment

The way Caldwell treats people.

On the first, plenty of people can reasonably disagree, and few are saying that he shouldn't be *allowed to* call the shots on who gets a new contract.

What people are questioning is *how* he does this. How you treat good people matters.

Caldwell treats good people badly.

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

I dread to think what this forum will be like if Storey gets offered a contract when he has contributed diddly squat and is one of the worst players ever to grace the Firhill turf, whereas Doolan is shown the door.

Storey ....He’s gone .... hah hah 

Edited by javeajag

Just now, dl1971 said:

You are being selective. Of course a team scoring goals from all angles can be successful, but generally speaking the team with an out and goalscorer tends to be more successful. Lionel Messi, Mo Salah to name but two. Where would Ayr be without Shankland or Raith without Nisbet? If you're going to say I'm talking rubbish your argument needs to be sound. It's not.

I didn't say that it doesn't help to have someone who scores lots of goals.

I rubbished the ridiculous suggestion that we cannot be successful at this level without a striker who scores 20-30 goals a season.