Doolan

javeajag

5 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Disgraceful decision, under Caldwell’s tenure so far , appraising the season as a whole it has been absolutely shocking, only cementing our place in the league on the very last game . It was that bad , we gave one of our player of the year awards to Scott Macdonald who had only played 1O games for us .

Caldwell has ripped the total fabric out of our Club , letting players like Erskine and Doolan go who the supporters identified with through good times and bad .

If Gary Caldwell can’t see the quality in a player like Doolan we’re in big trouble, even for a senior player to show an example to a young player coming up in the game what can be achieved through hard work and dedication, surely even that should have been a consideration.

Done the sponsorship thing  for the last 15 years through my company, that’s now going to stop , shocking way to treat a player who is in his testimonial year and our highest ever scorer in the league .

Dools thanks for the memories .

Typical overreaction on here

Caldwell doesn't have the emotional baggage of fans and based on this season Erskine and Doolan have been judged surplus to requirements. (Presumably)

Hard to argue with that based on performance. Storey must go too though for the same reasons.

2 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Sorry to move away from the main issue of this thread but it seems that we as a society have become unable to take an issue, look at all sides of it, form an opinion then debate it with others without getting personal/nasty - Brexit and Scottish Independence being two obvious examples. Kris Doolan not being offered a new deal is a footballing decision made by our manager who is paid to make such decisions. It will either be the right or wrong decision but that won't be known for a while yet. Because you think that Kris should get a deal does not mean that Gary Caldwell is a monster. Equally if you think the manager is correct on this it does not mean that he has made mistakes with other things. Let us have a debate on it by all means (that is what the forum is for) but remember that we can disagree without being disagreeable.

Partick Thistle Football Club - bigger than any individual.

Don’t disagree with anything that you said and I’m sure you know Kris Doolan is the most humble guy around despite of his achievements.

My own perception of this , despite Kris Doolan’s obvious talents as a footballer , he was also a fantastic ambassador for our football club and even this week I’ve been told he had been out visiting schools.

I personally think Doolan still had a lot to offer as a player and also think his knowledge of football and also his coaching abilities could have helped any young strikers come through.

I’m pretty sure he’ll be back at Firhill one day after the present incumbents are gone and I include Jacqui Lowe within that .

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

We will and I hope your disappointed !

See the thing is - Football Clubs run on Money - I just dont see where its coming from beyond Mr Weir - nor do I see the Business Experience or Contacts on the BOD - Spin & PR doesnt pay the Bills but thats just my opinion - as I say zero delivered so far .......

Just now, thebiglemon said:

Caldwell doesn't have the emotional baggage of fans and based on this season Erskine and Doolan have been judged surplus to requirements. (Presumably)

Hard to argue with that based on performance. Storey must go too though for the same reasons.

How many goals did Miles Storey score for the club , how long was Miles Storey at our Club

Dont think that’s remotely even a comparison, shouldn’t have even been mentioned on the same page .

5 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I didn't say that it doesn't help to have someone who scores lots of goals.

I rubbished the ridiculous suggestion that we cannot be successful at this level without a striker who scores 20-30 goals a season.

I never said we couldn't be successful without a 20 goal plus striker a year. I suggested it would help us challenge at the top end of the table. A misunderstanding perhaps.

6 minutes ago, thebiglemon said:

If you’re going by this seasons form , only James Penrice and possibly Blair Spittal would be offered deals , the majority of them have underperformed all season hence the reason why it came down to the last day to cement our championship status .

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

How many goals did Miles Storey score for the club , how long was Miles Storey at our Club

Dont think that’s remotely even a comparison, shouldn’t have even been mentioned on the same page .

Yes

You are right. Storey and Doolan should not be mentioned in the same post.

Obviously I love Doolan like everyone else but the loyalty thing can be overplayed. If Doolan had pace and physicality he'd have gone to Bristol City or similar years ago.

4 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I never said we couldn't be successful without a 20 goal plus striker a year. I suggested it would help us challenge at the top end of the table. A misunderstanding perhaps.

Didn’t help Queen of the South with Dobbie’s 30 goals 

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

No. I never predict how many goals any Thistle player will score, due to superstition.

I must be watching different games from everyone else , there were games home and away where we created absolutely nothing for the forwards , sometimes not even a shot on target the whole game due to the managers negative tactics.

If someone can tell me when Doolan was left out the team a striker came in and scored for fun I must have missed it .

It tells it’s own story that Spittall is our top scorer with 8 goals .

10 minutes ago, thebiglemon said:

Yes

You are right. Storey and Doolan should not be mentioned in the same post.

Obviously I love Doolan like everyone else but the loyalty thing can be overplayed. If Doolan had pace and physicality he'd have gone to Bristol City or similar years ago.

Archie tried the big physical forward with Azeez , Pogba and even Lyle Taylor, Doolan outscored every one of them and eventually took their places.  It’s not all about physical presence, it’s about ability, game knowledge, you don’t score 130 goals in a provincial team without having something about you .

2 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

When Caldwell is inevitably sacked by us in February as we languish in 7th place, I’m looking forward to him being a guest on BBC Scotland and talking about how he had to change the culture of Thistle, stamp his authority, make difficult decisions, etc etc.

In reality, all that getting rid of a guy like Doolan - especially in the way it’s been done - achieves is to make yourself look like a manager overwhelmed with arrogance, and to turn a large portion of the fan base (a decent proportion of whom are already unconvinced) against you. And for this to happen just before season tickets go on sale? What a joke. 

It’s good that we have a PR guru in charge of the club though.

Ran outta likes kemo

10 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Verbatim here is what you said:

“Be ruthless. Some are saying kris would still score 10 Plus goals a season

That's not good enough. We need a guy whoscores 20 or 30 plus a season to really challenge.

Accepting the status quo is unambituous and aligns us to the oft quoted cuddly toy persona.”

On this rationale, we should never ever have signed Kris Doolan. He has *never* scored more than 20 goals a season in professional league football. He has *never* been “good enough” in your words.

In my time following Thistle I think we haven’t had a player score 20 goals in a season since maybe what, Mark Roberts in the third tier? Yet there have been plenty times when we have been very competitive at this and a higher level without that. Including when we *literally won* this league at what was in the end a canter.

It is simply rubbish, as you said, to claim that “to really challenge” “we need a guy who scores 20 or 30 plus goals a season”.

Two teams this season had a 20 goal a season guy in this league. Two. And in both cases almost half of their total season goals (the ones that made them “30 plus”) came in the cups against diddies. The top three teams in the league did not have a 20 a season striker on the books. 7 of the top 8 teams didn’t.

What the top 3 did have were solid balanced squads, strikers and attacking mids who pitched in plenty assists, and a spread of goals across their teams.

All other things being equal would you rather strikers scored more rather than fewer goals? Absolutely. But the suggestion that you can’t be competitive or win this league without a striker scoring 20 a season, let alone “30 plus” is an absolute, unadulterated,  statistically unjustified nonsense.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Gutted with this and absolutely raging how the club have handled this to a player who’s a legend in his testimonial year.

He wasn’t offered a contract.

The club tweeted it before he could say goodbye to players staff, or tell his wife or agent.

Caldwell never came out his office to wish him well.

If this is our new club, they can stick it.

From the handling of Archie’s dismissal, stating Erskine was part of plans then bumping him, broken promises and misinformation on training ground to this. The board and manager has no feel for the fans

1 hour ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Absolutely and 100% this ^

We have a club leadership that seems utterly and totally clueless, who are reliant upon the goodwill of one very rich man to ensure we have a budget, and who have shown nothing to suggest they have the know-how or feel for the club that will take us forward. 

It’s a shite state of affairs. 

These sum it up splendidly.

Thanks for the inside track norge.

Don't abandon ship guys, fight the good fight, truth will always out, Caldwell and this board won't be here forever.

I'd never suggest either manager nor board are out to intentionally destroy our club but they are ripping the heart out of it and ruining the all togetherness we used to have. The whole spirit of the club is being changed, and so far not for the good.

6 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Archie tried the big physical forward with Azeez , Pogba and even Lyle Taylor, Doolan outscored every one of them and eventually took their places.  It’s not all about physical presence, it’s about ability, game knowledge, you don’t score 130 goals in a provincial team without having something about you .

If I was Doolan I would have been sickened by being benched in front of that lot. I'm amazed he didn't leave to be honest. Let's be honest neither Archie nor Caldwell believed in him to start consistently. I sincerely wish him all the best but football is a harsh business. Legends move on all the time. 

2 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

When Caldwell is inevitably sacked by us in February as we languish in 7th place, I’m looking forward to him being a guest on BBC Scotland and talking about how he had to change the culture of Thistle, stamp his authority, make difficult decisions, etc etc.

In reality, all that getting rid of a guy like Doolan - especially in the way it’s been done - achieves is to make yourself look like a manager overwhelmed with arrogance, and to turn a large portion of the fan base (a decent proportion of whom are already unconvinced) against you. And for this to happen just before season tickets go on sale? What a joke. 

It’s good that we have a PR guru in charge of the club though.

How do you mean in the way it has been done. His contract was at an end.

10 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Why would you like us languishing in 7th place? I like the idea of us challenging for promotion. 

What are you talkin about 1971? The guy made an assessment of where he thinks we will be come February. He might be right, he might be wrong.

Neither Kemo nor I said we want us to be 7th in Feb, we just think that's how this is going to pan out.

Please, 1971, try and absorb the post and understand what I or others are saying and stop making stuff up just to be a smart alec. Today is hard enough without you making sh1t up.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Sorry mate, Yougov haven’t reported their findings to me yet so not able to provide a statistical analysis. But I’m willing to bet a reasonable percentage of fans have serious doubts about him. 

Count me in as a doubting thomas

55 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Sidetracking here but it still annoys me Kenny Watson was never given a testimonial- another true jags legend 

Couldn't agree more, my 80's hero

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Gutted with this and absolutely raging how the club have handled this to a player who’s a legend in his testimonial year.

He wasn’t offered a contract.

The club tweeted it before he could say goodbye to players staff, or tell his wife or agent.

Caldwell never came out his office to wish him well.

If this is our new club, they can stick it.

From the handling of Archie’s dismissal, stating Erskine was part of plans then bumping him, broken promises and misinformation on training ground to this. The board and manager has no feel for the fans

Source?