Doolan

javeajag

4 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Verbatim here is what you said:

“Be ruthless. Some are saying kris would still score 10 Plus goals a season

That's not good enough. We need a guy whoscores 20 or 30 plus a season to really challenge.

Accepting the status quo is unambituous and aligns us to the oft quoted cuddly toy persona.”

On this rationale, we should never ever have signed Kris Doolan. He has *never* scored more than 20 goals a season in professional league football. He has *never* been “good enough” in your words.

In my time following Thistle I think we haven’t had a player score 20 goals in a season since maybe what, Mark Roberts in the third tier? Yet there have been plenty times when we have been very competitive at this and a higher level without that. Including when we *literally won* this league at what was in the end a canter.

It is simply rubbish, as you said, to claim that “to really challenge” “we need a guy who scores 20 or 30 plus goals a season”.

Two teams this season had a 20 goal a season guy in this league. Two. And in both cases almost half of their total season goals (the ones that made them “30 plus”) came in the cups against diddies. The top three teams in the league did not have a 20 a season striker on the books. 7 of the top 8 teams didn’t.

What the top 3 did have were solid balanced squads, strikers and attacking mids who pitched in plenty assists, and a spread of goals across their teams.

All other things being equal would you rather strikers scored more rather than fewer goals? Absolutely. But the suggestion that you can’t be competitive or win this league without a striker scoring 20 a season, let alone “30 plus” is an absolute, unadulterated,  statistically unjustified nonsense.

I don't think you understand plain English. My opinion is that we need a main striker who scores more than 10 goals in the next season. How is that controversial. I take exception to your comments that I somehow have never rated Doolan. Clearly you haven't read all my comments. 

Just now, dl1971 said:

I don't think you understand plain English. My opinion is that we need a main striker who scores more than 10 goals in the next season. How is that controversial. I take exception to your comments that I somehow have never rated Doolan. Clearly you haven't read all my comments. 

Ah! Now downgraded from 20 or 30 to more than 10? 

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

Keeping Doolan is not the same as expecting him to be our main striker.

You specifically said it wasn’t “good enough” unless we had someone scoring 20 or even 30 plus. This was obviously rubbish and you’re now furiously backtracking.

My point isn’t that you’ve never rated Doolan. It’s that your criteria for whether we should have kept him on was utterly ridiculous.

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

Accepted. There will always be exceptions. I think most of us wouldn't have minded Dobbie or Shankland in our team this year......

Still would have to play a different system to the one Caldwell usually implements , narrow midfield or 5 at the back with holding midfielders 

3 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

That's a bit pot/kettle. You're accusing Woodstock of what you have been guilty of doing all afternoon. 

6 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

You still could spread the goals like Ross County did with Billy Mackay, Brian Graham and Ross Stewart .

Should all the onus be on one striker ?

Edited by jlsarmy

15 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Verbatim here is what you said:

“Be ruthless. Some are saying kris would still score 10 Plus goals a season

That's not good enough. We need a guy whoscores 20 or 30 plus a season to really challenge.

Accepting the status quo is unambituous and aligns us to the oft quoted cuddly toy persona.”

On this rationale, we should never ever have signed Kris Doolan. He has *never* scored more than 20 goals a season in professional league football. He has *never* been “good enough” in your words.

In my time following Thistle I think we haven’t had a player score 20 goals in a season since maybe what, Mark Roberts in the third tier? Yet there have been plenty times when we have been very competitive at this and a higher level without that. Including when we *literally won* this league at what was in the end a canter.

It is simply rubbish, as you said, to claim that “to really challenge” “we need a guy who scores 20 or 30 plus goals a season”.

Two teams this season had a 20 goal a season guy in this league. Two. And in both cases almost half of their total season goals (the ones that made them “30 plus”) came in the cups against diddies. The top three teams in the league did not have a 20 a season striker on the books. 7 of the top 8 teams didn’t.

What the top 3 did have were solid balanced squads, strikers and attacking mids who pitched in plenty assists, and a spread of goals across their teams.

All other things being equal would you rather strikers scored more rather than fewer goals? Absolutely. But the suggestion that you can’t be competitive or win this league without a striker scoring 20 a season, let alone “30 plus” is an absolute, unadulterated,  statistically unjustified nonsense.

Well done. The truth is out there:D

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

They never offered him a deal, the club knew fine well 

You are absolutely 100% sure that everyone at the club had agreed that Doolan wasn’t going to be part of the setup next season. If you can show me something in black and white, rather than a he said, she said scenario, then there will always be some doubt as to what actually happened today.

Just now, Woodstock Jag said:

I’ll have you know I’m a red and yellow kettle.

Sweet. And I bet you make a fine cuppa sir. '71 has selective memory methinks

1 minute ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Oh I’m sorry it appears more than one of us can’t read English. :thinking:

Correct

2 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

That's a bit pot/kettle. You're accusing Woodstock of what you have been guilty of doing all afternoon. 

LMAO. I'm just giving my opinion and as it doesn't fit with your rabid anti Caldwell agenda you think you can smell blood. Nae luck I can see right through you.

Just now, Lenziejag said:

You are absolutely 100% sure that everyone at the club had agreed that Doolan wasn’t going to be part of the setup next season. If you can show me something in black and white, rather than a he said, she said scenario, then there will always be some doubt as to what actually happened today.

You have seen how often norges posts are true. You do know how trustworthy his information has been?

1 minute ago, Lenziejag said:

He wasn’t offered anything at all 

Just now, dl1971 said:

Correct

LMAO. I'm just giving my opinion and as it doesn't fit with your rabid anti Caldwell agenda you think you can smell blood. Nae luck I can see right through you.

You are very much mistaken sir. 

You accused Woodstock of not understanding English and yet it is you who have failed to understand many posts this afternoon and made stuff up to have a pop. Meeeeental. Have a lovely evening.

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

You still could spread the goals like Ross County did with Billy Mackay, Brian Graham and Ross Stewart .

Should all the onus be on one striker ?

I never said the onus should be on one striker. My opinion is that it does no harm to have a high scoring striker in the team. For example dougie somner mo johnson. Maybe a bit old now to be fair.

I hope Doolan left of his own accord and was not forced out in any way.Some on here saying it was right to let Doolan go because he has not been good enough over the past season or two. But defending the actions of a manger who has failed with his main objective of getting us promoted.

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Because as we all know we should believe Kim Jong Brit Un and Chairman Low are the good faith actors until a court of law has conclusively stated otherwise. Partick Thistle Football Club never lies and never treats people shabbily and we should ignore all informal reports from people who have had reliable insider information before when they state something categorically and the Club doesn’t deny it.

Just now, Lenziejag said:

I don’t understand the relevance of that ?

I was paraphrasing our Chairman after we sacked Archie - todays statement was well prepared and  put out as soon as he was told - you will note there is nothing in it from Dools - which suggests that he didnt go in good grace and it was GC decision not mutual